No announcement yet.

Blowing off steam - The Rant Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else noticing the lack of cop on with other motorists lately, or is it just me? Had a few close ones recently. Last week had a car slowly pass me on the Athlone bypass and suddenly and abruptly veer into my lane forcing me to carry out an emergency braking manoeuvre. This morning, whilst dropping my daughter to school I had a cyclist pass me on the inside whilst I was turning left at a traffic light. The cyclist was totally oblivious to the accident he almost caused and was wearing a large set of over ear headphones!
    Gobshites... everywhere!!

Comment

• I don’t have any examples like that thankfully but I’ve put down whatever ineptitude that I have encountered of late to the return of the school run and normality and all that good stuff.
      I'm with the resistance

Comment

• I see lots wearing big headphones. Since things have opened up there seem to be a lot of people back on the road and have forgotten how to drive not that they had much to forget in the first place I reckon. I think the M50 had a smash every day last week or at least thats how it seemed to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeeTI View Post
          Anyone else noticing the lack of cop on with other motorists lately, or is it just me? Had a few close ones recently. Last week had a car slowly pass me on the Athlone bypass and suddenly and abruptly veer into my lane forcing me to carry out an emergency braking manoeuvre. This morning, whilst dropping my daughter to school I had a cyclist pass me on the inside whilst I was turning left at a traffic light. The cyclist was totally oblivious to the accident he almost caused and was wearing a large set of over ear headphones!
          Gobshites... everywhere!!
          It's terrible. Especially super noticable on a motorcycle. I had at least 4 close calls during one ride in Rush Hour. People are absolutely knobs behind the wheel these days.
          Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Comment

• I'm relieved that it's not just me being a magnet for these morons then.

Comment

• Seems to be a thing everywhere: U.S. traffic deaths up during pandemic even though mileage down -data | Reuters

https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• Our local chinese changed their containers and lids, which was different ot the indian. Now there's 3 variations of lids and tubs to match at home and never the one you need in the press.

https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

Comment

• Originally posted by GeeTI View Post
                  I'm relieved that it's not just me being a magnet for these morons then.
                  Big area of personal struggle for me TBH. Like when you have a merging lane for say the M1 and all the oncoming vehicles are
                  bunched up and you're in the left lane with no possibility of moving to the centre one (heavily populated with often aggressively accelerating vehicles).
                  So all 5 or 6 vehicles expect to 'merge' and what I have to brake to cause the concertina behind me?
                  I think most people don't think enough when behind the wheel.
                  I'm hitting the motorway now I can just 'open her up...'
                  2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
                  2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo
                  2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
                  2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
                  1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
                  1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

• Originally posted by Roarsbaby View Post

Big area of personal struggle for me TBH. Like when you have a merging lane for say the M1 and all the oncoming vehicles are
                    bunched up and you're in the left lane with no possibility of moving to the centre one (heavily populated with often aggressively accelerating vehicles).
                    So all 5 or 6 vehicles expect to 'merge' and what I have to brake to cause the concertina behind me?
                    I think most people don't think enough when behind the wheel.
                    I'm hitting the motorway now I can just 'open her up...'
                    This is it, many motorists are not reading the road conditions nor checking their mirrors on a regular basis to be aware of their surroundings and other road users. Either that...or they just don't give a crap and do what they want.

Comment

• It’s a “zip merge” scenario and that usually works, no? I don’t know if I have ever even thought about it but any time you merge onto a motorway you are zip merging with the cars in the left lane and you or they may need to adjust their speed for this to work. If it’s busy it gets a bit trickier but the same rules apply (I think).
                      I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris View Post
                        Our local chinese changed their containers and lids, which was different ot the indian. Now there's 3 variations of lids and tubs to match at home and never the one you need in the press.
                        PMSL, Top rant!!
                        ElDel, “I ask this purely out curiosity DMZ, but did your lack of interest in the generic come from your ownership experience of the Golf R?”

Comment

• IMHO Irish people are instructed to use merging lanes too passively when learning to drive. When I've been in Germany with folks who learned to drive in Ireland and I've used WOT in the 'acceleration lane' (Beschleunigungsspur) I've had comments that I was driving aggressively.

Well how else can I get to 130-140km/h in about 250 metres to merge safely at road speed, Fintan? Tell me.
                          1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                          2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                          2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

• Well, Germany. Merging on to derestricted Autobahn is just full on crazy stuff. In a good way, of course. That’s not the place for a feeble approach that’s for sure.
                            I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Originally posted by Flet View Post
                              IMHO Irish people are instructed to use merging lanes too passively when learning to drive..
                              Amen to that. Although a significant problem generally is that Irish drivers aren't taught to use merging lanes at all - the knowledge of driving on motorways is magically attained once you pass your test.

Comment

• It's not just motorways though, as there is a significant amount of driver's out there that don't know how to position their vehicles /nor indicate correctly on roundabouts. This is more worrying in Ireland where it's like the local authorities seem to throw a set of darts at a map of their area and place a roundabout on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X