Blowing off steam - The Rant Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ryan View Post
    So, this is based on hearing something that somebody who isn’t mechanically inclined told somebody else.

I would personally advise taking a chill pill on it and see if the lady can give your mother a copy of the invoices that she has received from the mechanic in question. I can almost guarantee that they do not charge her for new rubber for every NCT. I mean, maybe this time they changed the tyres due to age or something but the car has likely only had 2 NCTs in its life given that it isn’t particularly old.

The suggestion of marching in with the lady and making a formal complaint based on that “evidence” isn’t what I would do as if the mechanic has done nothing wrong then you’ll likely completely ruin the relationship that she has with them.

If they are doing what you’re suggesting then yes it is very bad but I would advise gathering more intel before deciding if it is indeed time for your blood to boil.

I had to deal with hysterical customers a lot and dealing with angry amateur lawyers who try to “help” their friend or family member can be very frustrating as no matter what you say they assume you’re trying to screw the customer.

TL;DR: ingest chill pill, gather intel, make a decision on if there is any foul play at that point.
    From what I’ve heard privately since my first post, she is, in my opinion, 100% being taken advantage of.

Unfortunately though, like I’ve said, she feels obliged to return to this place, and pointing out everything wrong with what she has said to me personally would only upset and probably overwhelm her. I was able to show her her new tyres on tyreleader for €240. And yes, I know, they need to be fitted and businesses have overheads etc. But she was surprised all the same. It might incline her to think about what she’ll do in the future, who knows.

I’ve worked in a garage and understand exactly what you are saying too. In my short time there, jaysus I heard it all.
    There's no light, There's only fire!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaiser View Post

From what I’ve heard privately since my first post, she is, in my opinion, 100% being taken advantage of.

Unfortunately though, like I’ve said, she feels obliged to return to this place, and pointing out everything wrong with what she has said to me personally would only upset and probably overwhelm her. I was able to show her her new tyres on tyreleader for €240. And yes, I know, they need to be fitted and businesses have overheads etc. But she was surprised all the same. It might incline her to think about what she’ll do in the future, who knows.

I’ve worked in a garage and understand exactly what you are saying too. In my short time there, jaysus I heard it all.
      Sickening to hear that kind of behaviour!

Comment

• When coming home from work just near my gaff; I take the 2nd exit on a small roundabout thus cutting across the main flow of traffic onto a smaller side road.

I’d say at least once a week I almost get taken out of it by drivers completely failing to yield or slow down to my right of way when turning..Usually resulting in me having to stop abruptly so they don’t side swipe me or take the front of the car off.

Today was a very close one that actually left my hands shaking for a while after.
        Older lady in a Micra utterly oblivious and going way too fast. I was almost fully around the turn before she even entered the arena.
        She missed me by only a few cms.

The roundabout is well signed and pretty obvious being a large protruding pod of raised white paint in the middle of the road which you would have to swerve around evening if going ‘straight’ through.

Getting really pissed. It’s happening too often. If it happens to me weekly I can only imagine how many near misses there are on a daily basis..ffs like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2021 Peugeot e2008 GT
        2007 Alfa Romeo GT Monza T-Spark

Comment

• I had the closest shave ever today, cruising home with the whole family from a day at inchydoney on the n71 rounded a bend to find my lane full of a rav4 which was attempting a 3 car overtake. Only for me diving on the brakes and steering for the verge did we avoid a very nasty accident. Didn’t get a reg unfortunately, a very sobering moment, accident avoided by mere inches

Comment

• Dash cam dude!!

I was up by sally gap yesterday and when there was a brief moment of clear roads I came across a squirrely Mazda 3 with an N plate, thankfully he was able to gather it up before we got too close, he got more of a fright than I did. Mountains are a disaster in this weather, spent 30 minutes behind a F-pace going at no pace, like crawling and stopping to let every oncoming car pass, even cyclists were catching us, but wouldn’t pull in to let anyone pass on overtake.
            ElDel, “I ask this purely out curiosity DMZ, but did your lack of interest in the generic come from your ownership experience of the Golf R?”

Comment

• Originally posted by Thestig View Post
              When coming home from work just near my gaff; I take the 2nd exit on a small roundabout thus cutting across the main flow of traffic onto a smaller side road.

I’d say at least once a week I almost get taken out of it by drivers completely failing to yield or slow down to my right of way when turning..Usually resulting in me having to stop abruptly so they don’t side swipe me or take the front of the car off.

Today was a very close one that actually left my hands shaking for a while after.
              Older lady in a Micra utterly oblivious and going way too fast. I was almost fully around the turn before she even entered the arena.

The roundabout is well signed and pretty obvious being a large protruding pod of raised white paint in the middle of the road which you would have to swerve around evening if going ‘straight’ through.

Getting really pissed. It’s happening too often. If it happens to me weekly I can only imagine how many near misses there are on a daily basis..ffs like

Bad road design - raise it with the council
              https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• Waiting on a package from the UK, from the tracking it has sat with distributor for 3 weeks now, I won't name them but they are owned by the Swiss and French national postage companies combined, when you look them up on Trustpilot they have 1.5 stars. How is a subsidiary of 2 massive organisations with 300k employees such a terrible company? Customer service is awful, they don't answer mails. judging by the 800 other bad reviews i'm not alone in having packages lost.

so i'm €160 down and none the wiser on the whole thing

Comment

• Originally posted by Thestig View Post
                  When coming home from work just near my gaff; I take the 2nd exit on a small roundabout thus cutting across the main flow of traffic onto a smaller side road.

There's one of these at the entrance to the estate where I live. I think 90% of oncoming traffic thinks it's a junction and not a mini roundabout, and often an oncoming driver is completely unprepared to stop. It's well signposted and marked - I just think most people don't register a mini roundabout at all.
                  "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

• Originally posted by SJ View Post

There's one of these at the entrance to the estate where I live. I think 90% of oncoming traffic thinks it's a junction and not a mini roundabout, and often an oncoming driver is completely unprepared to stop. It's well signposted and marked - I just think most people don't register a mini roundabout at all.
                    That sounds identical to the entrance to my estate. Ours is coupled with poor engineering so there is a grass bank blocking your view to the right when trying to leave the estate.

Comment

• Having dogs shouldn't be a right

Every morn I leave at 6am the dogs in the neighbors yard set off the second I open the garage. Every time I come home and get out me car they go ballistic. Everytime I do something in my own garden/ back yard these dogs are going mad.

Very apparent when we had a guest staying recently in the room fronting their yard that these dogs are just left there 12-16 hr's a day.

36 degree heat here in Texas and the dogs outside, isn't right either.

I've taken to cursing out loud for them to hear vs openly confronting them but invariably the owners aren't there when the cnunting dogs set-off.

Sent from my SM-N950N using Tapatalk

2005 toyota sequoia, 1993 300d, 2009 prius, 1984 Volvo 242 turbo intercooler

Comment

• Early morning rant... AnPost just returned the parcel I've been waiting for to the country of destination. I've got the picture of the parcel and there is huge EirCode written on it. How the hell they could not locate my house ? and please don't tell me that AnPost doesn't use Eircodes or I will have a meltdown.
                        Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike205 View Post
                          Early morning rant... AnPost just returned the parcel I've been waiting for to the country of destination. I've got the picture of the parcel and there is huge EirCode written on it. How the hell they could not locate my house ? and please don't tell me that AnPost doesn't use Eircodes or I will have a meltdown.
                          Same happened me because a single line was missing on the address due to the sellers crappy webform. What is the point of Eircodes if the postal service doesn't acknowledge them?
                          https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• I ordered something from Germany about a month ago. Deutsche Post sent it to Italy. Italy of all flipping countries, the country renowned for a non-existent postal service. It will probably show up again in 2035 or something.
                            I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Just got this text.. is it a scam ? I didn't order anything from outside EU.

Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike205 View Post
                                Just got this text.. is it a scam ? I didn't order anything from outside EU.
                                100% a scam. You pretty much answered your own question.
                                2016 Ford Fiesta ST
                                1998 Peugeot 106 GTI
                                2001 Toyota MR2

Comment

Working...
                                X