No announcement yet.

Blowing off steam - The Rant Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come humanity can make some remarkable plumbing..

diesel injectors that can inkject fuel into an engine at 36,000 PSI in a moving vehicle..

Saturn V liquid fuel rocket engine injectors that can supply 58,560 litres of fuel per minute under incredible heat and vibration and get a man to the moon without exploding...

Gas lines that cross continents..

even the ancient romans could supply water to entire towns via only gravity fed aqueducts.

..but we're still stuck with this shonky, leaky nonsense under the average Irish bathroom sink with not much alternatives in the average hardware store plumbing aisle?

Seriously, there has got to be a better way than this stuff that's an absolute pig to fit for no apparent reason. There probably is, but Irish plumbing, the school of thought that hadn't heard of mixer taps til about five years ago seems to be stuck in "that'll do" mentality. If there is, I'm all ears.
    https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• _________________
      Older but no wiser.

Comment

• I hear ya Crank. My brother is a plumber. Simple = fancy = expensive. The amount of customers he has that want copper and the above is mind boggling.

On a side note, I found some UK legislation a few years back regarding mixer taps. Basically they're not allowed in bathrooms or connected to any other pair of taps if one is supplied by a storage tank. Something to do with old stagnant water getting in to the supply in the event of a shut off or loss of pressure. Maybe we have something similar?

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnRA View Post
          I hear ya Crank. My brother is a plumber. Simple = fancy = expensive. The amount of customers he has that want copper and the above is mind boggling.

On a side note, I found some UK legislation a few years back regarding mixer taps. Basically they're not allowed in bathrooms or connected to any other pair of taps if one is supplied by a storage tank. Something to do with old stagnant water getting in to the supply in the event of a shut off or loss of pressure. Maybe we have something similar?
          Probably, but that opens up a whole other load of questions about continuing to use immersions and attic tanks and local authorities in some areas providing lousy mains pressure and then... lets not open up a conversation on water supply and funding for said supp here.

ABS/uPVC plastic is a fine material, it's more the crappyness of how it's moulded in two parts which easily hairline splits along the seams because the way it all tends to fit together so poorly with seals that don't stay in place when you're trying to do the masochist jenga of trying to screw it all together.
          https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• they don’t even make plastic like they used do, I frequently find old bits in the forest that are there 30-40 years and it looks as good as the day it went in , was looking at some driveway lights we put up 3-4 years ago and they’re seriously faded already.

Comment

• My current gripe is that 1916 was not and will never be our war of Independence.

Our war of Independence began 101 years ago but it seems that 1916 is being presented as the war of Independence.

100% we should commemorate 1916, however if it is commemorated then we must commemorate 1798, 1593, 1639, 1689 (to name a few) to the exact same degree.

I have my own opinions as to why 1916 might be put forward instead of 1919 to 1921.

Comment

• Originally posted by ferrarimadman View Post
                My current gripe is that 1916 was not and will never be our war of Independence.

Our war of Independence began 101 years ago but it seems that 1916 is being presented as the war of Independence.

100% we should commemorate 1916, however if it is commemorated then we must commemorate 1798, 1593, 1639, 1689 (to name a few) to the exact same degree.

I have my own opinions as to why 1916 might be put forward instead of 1919 to 1921.
                Not much to worry about so.

Comment

• Am I the asshole ?

Last friday I was coming back from work and I was arriving at Garda checkpoint. Now, there are two lanes where 2nd lane merging into 1st for Garda to have better control. In typical sheep fashion 2nd lane is completely empty and 1st lane has like 50 cars bumper to bumper. So off I go pretty much to the end of the empty lane, put the indicator on and wait politely until someone let me in. Arriving at the checkpoing Garda is asking usual questions and then he is asking me "How come you didn't merge earlier?" ... Mhhh I didn't expect that and I've asked " it was still legal wasn't it?" - he said, yeah legal but in BAD FORM... I got little embarrassed but also couldn't understand why the hell he had to say this, the cones are placed in certain location for everyone to merge into 1 lane, just because there is 50 cars in one lane doesn't mean I have to place myself at the end. Was this in bad form?
                  Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Comment

• No.

Not everyone observes or is situationally aware. Like those folk who won't drive inside a vehicle turning right when there is room. Or sit behind a bus that is stopped at a bus stop when there is no traffic coming against them. Or people not using bus lanes outsides their operational hours.

Bad form, that's a new one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike205 View Post
                      Am I the asshole ?

Last friday I was coming back from work and I was arriving at Garda checkpoint. Now, there are two lanes where 2nd lane merging into 1st for Garda to have better control. In typical sheep fashion 2nd lane is completely empty and 1st lane has like 50 cars bumper to bumper. So off I go pretty much to the end of the empty lane, put the indicator on and wait politely until someone let me in. Arriving at the checkpoing Garda is asking usual questions and then he is asking me "How come you didn't merge earlier?" ... Mhhh I didn't expect that and I've asked " it was still legal wasn't it?" - he said, yeah legal but in BAD FORM... I got little embarrassed but also couldn't understand why the hell he had to say this, the cones are placed in certain location for everyone to merge into 1 lane, just because there is 50 cars in one lane doesn't mean I have to place myself at the end. Was this in bad form?
                      I don't know. I had the option at checkpoint like that and I merged earlier. So something like that wouldn't happen. I probably wouldn't have let you merge in front of me ha.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny_Limerick View Post
                        I don't know. I had the option at checkpoint like that and I merged earlier. So something like that wouldn't happen. I probably wouldn't have let you merge in front of me ha.
                        Surely it depends on what car the person is driving as to whether you let the person merge in front of you or not...?

Comment

• Originally posted by 911 SC Cab View Post
                          Surely it depends on what car the person is driving as to whether you let the person merge in front of you or not...?
                          Very true.

Comment

• I think Mike could have been on a bike?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike205 View Post
                              Am I the asshole ?

No you're not. I did an advanced driving course before and the instructor was an ex copper and the mantra he drilled into us was "make a queue don't join a queue".
                              https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

Comment

• I put my car up for sale on DD yesterday at about 18:30, by 18:40 I’d two offers. One for €8000 less than the asking and another for a swap with a eight year old 7 series! I know it’s been discussed plenty of times but ffs.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X