Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our youngest (7) is at home at the moment after being deemed a close contact from school. One of the kids in his class turned out to be an asymptomatic positive case (which I guess only turned up after the kid was tested for being a close contact).

Anyway this kid must have been in the class for an unspecified number of days while being positive.

All the kids in the class were tested, as well as the teachers, all except one came back negative, so the whole class is at home pending a second test for everyone.

In fairness the testing and result process was very quick and efficient, the class spend the afternoon of St Patrick’s Day getting tested!

It doesn’t appear to have spread anywhere else in the school (so far) so all in all, not a huge drama other than the pain in the butt of having him back at home again…

No drama from the parents, if a kid is asymptomatic how can you blame anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by cibo View Post
      Our youngest (7) is at home at the moment after being deemed a close contact from school. One of the kids in his class turned out to be an asymptomatic positive case (which I guess only turned up after the kid was tested for being a close contact).

Anyway this kid must have been in the class for an unspecified number of days while being positive.

All the kids in the class were tested, as well as the teachers, all except one came back negative, so the whole class is at home pending a second test for everyone.

In fairness the testing and result process was very quick and efficient, the class spend the afternoon of St Patrick’s Day getting tested!

It doesn’t appear to have spread anywhere else in the school (so far) so all in all, not a huge drama other than the pain in the butt of having him back at home again…

No drama from the parents, if a kid is asymptomatic how can you blame anyone?
      Sounds like a similar situation my sister is in, where she is a teacher for senior infants and first class. A child in the class picked it up from outside and they all sent home and awaiting results of the second test now. No one else tested positive so far and assuming all tests are clear today it is back to school on Wednesday.

Comment

• Comment

• 10% on one dose
          3.7% on two doses

by my maths.

My folks are getting their first doses next week

Comment

• Today I accompanied a family member scheduled to get the dose.
            Driving in to Citywest it was all well signposted and marshalled, and information on what to do, what to bring (again) clearly displayed on signs around the place.
            Parked up, in they went... and out again 30 mins later, jabbed and impressed. The setup is very well organised; confirm name, ID and consent, get a jab, 15 min observation and verbal confirmation all OK and out again. All reasonably pleasant and hassle free.

Posting here as a small counter balance to the negative media reporting, hand wringing and swiping around how some of this is being handled.

Comment

• NI today:

174 new positive cases
              159 Hospital inpatients
              14 ICU patients

Comment

• ROI testing update:

No update published yesterday, so 3 days of data included below

Sunday: 611 positive swabs, 4.11% positivity on 14,882 tests
                Monday: 506 positive swabs, 3.98% positivity on 12,722 tests
                Today: 520 positive swabs, 3.46% positivity on 15,044 tests

3 day is 3.8%
                5 day is 4.1%
                7 day is 4.0%

Comment

• Weird day today.

My best friend's brother died of cancer. He hadn't been feeling well for a long time, but his screenings had been delayed due to covid. He only found out a couple of weeks ago and has gone downhill rapidly. Not suggesting for a second that the delay has cost him his life (knowing the speed he has declined he was probably already doomed by the time he sought help) but it did make me reflect on all those people out there with potentially curable cancers that don't know about it. they are going to be the hidden cost of the mismanagement of this pandemic but we won't be fixating on the death numbers and they will be forgotten about.

Anyway, rang another mate to let him know, and he told me he has just been diagnosed with lung cancer!!. He's thankfully got insurance so if he can be cured he will be. Fingers crossed.

But that's not why I'm writing. His mother-in-law got the covid jab six weeks ago at the ripe old age of 94. 2 weeks ago she was diagnosed with covid itself (she is in a nursing home that had an outbreak) but she had a day or two of the sniffles and that was it. Now maybe that would have happened anyway, but I'm choosing to look at it more positively as the benefit of the vaccine, and it does point to a time down the road when maybe we will no longer need to be fixated on case numbers, as they will have ceased to be meaningful and it will be hospitalisations that matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by 8~) View Post
                    Today I accompanied a family member scheduled to get the dose.
                    Driving in to Citywest it was all well signposted and marshalled, and information on what to do, what to bring (again) clearly displayed on signs around the place.
                    Parked up, in they went... and out again 30 mins later, jabbed and impressed. The setup is very well organised; confirm name, ID and consent, get a jab, 15 min observation and verbal confirmation all OK and out again. All reasonably pleasant and hassle free.

Posting here as a small counter balance to the negative media reporting, hand wringing and swiping around how some of this is being handled.
                    Excellent, some good news.
                    We must remain positive.

Comment

• I got the AZ vaccine yesterday in Drogheda hospital.

Landed at 9am,went in and secretary took my name and PPS number.
                      Met a nurse and she took me straight into cubicle where there was another nurse who put details into computer while the first one gave me the jab.
                      Waited for 15 mins and then out.
                      There was a good variety of people getting it done,from 20 something year olds up to those in their 60/70's.
                      Thought it was very well setup and very slick,something that the health system doesn't always get right.

Feeling a bit rough today,temperature last night and this morning and feeling more tired than usual but its improved a lot throughout the day.

Now if they can just get the doses that they ordered and they wont be long getting people done.

Comment

• ROI today:

520 new positive cases
                        357 Hospital inpatients
                        76 ICU patients

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                          Weird day today.

My best friend's brother died of cancer. He hadn't been feeling well for a long time, but his screenings had been delayed due to covid. He only found out a couple of weeks ago and has gone downhill rapidly. Not suggesting for a second that the delay has cost him his life (knowing the speed he has declined he was probably already doomed by the time he sought help) but it did make me reflect on all those people out there with potentially curable cancers that don't know about it. they are going to be the hidden cost of the mismanagement of this pandemic but we won't be fixating on the death numbers and they will be forgotten about.

Anyway, rang another mate to let him know, and he told me he has just been diagnosed with lung cancer!!. He's thankfully got insurance so if he can be cured he will be. Fingers crossed.

But that's not why I'm writing. His mother-in-law got the covid jab six weeks ago at the ripe old age of 94. 2 weeks ago she was diagnosed with covid itself (she is in a nursing home that had an outbreak) but she had a day or two of the sniffles and that was it. Now maybe that would have happened anyway, but I'm choosing to look at it more positively as the benefit of the vaccine, and it does point to a time down the road when maybe we will no longer need to be fixated on case numbers, as they will have ceased to be meaningful and it will be hospitalisations that matter.
                          Crazy! The whole Covid above else isn't great really for people who need other types of care and I'm sure cancer screening is a problem area.

This week I'm of the opinion that hospitalisations is the only thing that matters even in terms of scaring people into some form of compliance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunk View Post

Sorry to hear that, but isn't it amazing how money becomes a cure. [emoji85]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by DMZ View Post
                              Crazy! The whole Covid above else isn't great really for people who need other types of care and I'm sure cancer screening is a problem area.

This week I'm of the opinion that hospitalisations is the only thing that matters even in terms of scaring people into some form of compliance.

This is it exactly. As vaccinations grow case numbers will become less relevant, and hospitalisations will be the only number to focus on.
                              But the health service is still going to to be in for a rough trot in the future. Not only with the backlog in treatments and screening/diagnoses, but people suffering with long covid will impact too. The increase in new patients being referred to cardiac consultants and pulmonary consultants across the country is noticeable, and unanticipated, as these clinics and services previously operated on the basis of a calculated average of new cases vs closed cases. Now there is new unanticipated demand being placed on these services.
                              Whether these patients will need lengthy ongoing care, or whether they'll recover gradually over the space of a few years is all unknown at this moment in time.
                              But things are continuing to back up with new cases being referred to cardiologists and pulmonologists around the country.

Comment

• Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X