Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch band I follow had concert footage from today up on their Instagram stories. Looked like a significant sized crowd in attendance. I looked further into it and it appears to been as part of a heavily regulated trial concert to see if more events like it can go ahead in the summer. https://www.backtolive.nl/popfestival/ . It will be interesting to see the outcome of this.

Comment

• We're at this sort of Morton's Fork in the road now where no matter what choice is made the same thing will probably happen. I think the population have decided that policies which regard human behaviour and needs as non essential that can be turned off indefinitely make sense no more. What we accepted last year as emergency measures became NPHET/FFG's profound failure to differentiate between short and long term costs of basically turning off society. The assumption seems to be that for an indefinite period, the following things can be regarded as non essential:

Cinema, theatre and the arts in general are non essential.
      Attending religious ceremonies is non essential.
      Mourning the dead and comforting bereaved families is non essential.
      Social interaction with anyone you don't live with is non essential.
      SMEs are non essential.
      Individual emotional needs are non essential.
      Grandparent - Grandchild contact is non essential.
      The student experience at college is non essential.
      GAA and most sport is non essential.
      Being more than 5km from your house to enjoy nature or the outdoor pursuit of your choice is non essential.
      Dating strangers is non essential.
      Children playing with their own age group is non essential.
      Going out for a pint is non essential.
      Face to face business is non essential.
      Social contact at work is non essential.
      House building for individuals is non essential.
      Inviting your family to a wedding is non essential.
      Communions, anniversaries, birthdays, confirmations and other life stages or life rituals are non essential.
      Teenagers and young people are pretty much non essential and they must be regularly reminded of how selfish they are.
      Yore Ma is non essential.

The best that Tanaiste Ronan Glynn could say the other day was that we should "do more". I think the only way people can do more at this stage is to pay the €500 travel fine in order to fly to Switzerland to have themselves put down. The State has basically sleepwalked themselves into this demented concept of society basically not existing and thinking that carrying on with it indefinitely is a completely normal, valid option. 1 million children and young adults back in school and probably another 1 million people on the move doing pickups, dropoffs, teaching, driving buses, cleaning schools etc. and their models couldn't predict that. Or say that this would in all likelihood lead to a stalling of the cases falling off and that this is a price worth paying? Nope, it's a stick to beat a weary populace with and put a gun to the Cabinet's head for their early April decisions.
      1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
      2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
      2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

• Current: '08 Mercedes-Benz C63 //AMG
        Previous:

Comment

• Originally posted by Flet View Post
          The best that Tanaiste Ronan Glynn could say the other day was that we should "do more".
          In fairness, apparently (and naturally), that was one comment in a long speech taken out of context.

In my opinion it's the usual - rule for all, obeyed by some, and no consequence for the dissenters. It's like the yellow reg bombing past everyone on the motorway with impunity as the majority stare at our needles at 119.9kph, it's really fcukin annoying. Patrick's Day was striking as to how quiet the roads and neighboouhoods were. It was a reminder of what an actual lockdown should look like, when people actually stay at home or remain within their 5k, and nothing whatsoever like our current so called lockdown looks.

Proper parsing of the rules would be fantastic. Some things can and should be made to work. Children's sports for example. If they can go to school then they can go to outdoor training - football, running, hockey, hurling, rugby, whatever. Eating disorders among the young have increased three-fold in the last year and it is now firmly taken root in our household. It would be wonderful for the "yoof" to be able to meet and play sports in a controll and safe way and it might curb the "antisocial activity" that you hear about, which is invariably a bunch of teens simply meeting on the green for some Goddamn social contact. Similarly, we have the Dublin and Wicklow mountains on our doorstep (and the equivalent all over the country)- a vast expanse of ideal landscape for socially distant activities - walking, cycling, hiking, or even driving. You couldn't design it better if you tried. But instead, we're all crammed into local parks, elbowing each other out of the way.

All's I want is to be allowed out into the wilderness on my bike again

Comment

• Comment

• ROI hospital inpatient trend:

Comment

• Shits cray, yo. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...mid=tw-nytimes

It shows how dysfunctional and divided the world is, let alone Ireland.

Over a year in to this and the powers that be can't come together to eradicate the issue.

Comment

• I thought this was a great longread article:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...-covid-19.html
                  1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                  2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                  2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

• Northern Ireland today:

87 new positive cases
                    160 Hospital inpatients
                    15 ICU patients

Comment

• cases once again in childrens' school......But of course schools are safe aren't they......

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnRA View Post
                        Shits cray, yo. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...mid=tw-nytimes

It shows how dysfunctional and divided the world is, let alone Ireland.

Over a year in to this and the powers that be can't come together to eradicate the issue.
                        Isnt this just typical of Humans in general, cant agree on a single thing. ( Crank will be on now to disagree)
                        Last edited by Rennwagen; 22-03-2021, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flet View Post
                          I thought this was a great longread article:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...-covid-19.html
                          You can read a bunch of articles like this from lockdown lovers and a similar bunch from lockdown haters. I incidentally read something over the weekend with exactly the same title that said the exact opposite with great conviction. The funny thing is that no matter what is done, everyone complains. The lockdown lovers want more lockdown and more restrictions and lockdown haters want less even in places where aren't much any. Covid-19 is a gift that keeps on giving if you want to complain about things. It turns out that pandemics suck no matter what given that the end result is more or less the same: we need to stay at home or away from each other until minimally vaccines are rolled out.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeusExMachina View Post
                            cases once again in childrens' school......But of course schools are safe aren't they......
                            Unlikely the schools would show up so quickly and if it is the schools its Irrelevant becaus covid doesnt seem to effect Kids.
                            The Tourists for paddies day, and the Dublin population getting on with life is likely why the cases are going up and if they are, so what.
                            People are getting vaccinated, So Fvck it.
                            I'm sick of the scare tactics now at this stage.
                            As are most people I feel.

Comment

• Last edited by Mark F; 22-03-2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• How do those age demographics compare to last year? I don’t recall seeing such young ages on a par with older groups. UK strain I’m assuming in full effect.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X