Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just another epic Irish government \ civil service cock up. Deflect, distract, deny......I would consider myself a moderate in terms of my views and politics.....But this cretinous mishandling of the vaccine roll out is a bridge too far. For the very first time in my adult life I am seriously considering giving Sinn fein my vote!

Comment

• ROI testing update:

607 positive swabs, 4.7% positivity on 12,924 tests.

3 day is 4.2% (Up 0.4%)
      5 day is 3.9% (No change)
      7 day is 3.9% (Up 0.1%)

Comment

• I guess this is the reality, about 500 cases a day

Comment

• It’s not really surprising with a million people in school
          1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
          2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
          2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

• I dont think its the schools yet Flet (given typical timelines from infection to case).

Several weeks ago I posted here that as more and more people got vaccinated, and lockdown fatigue increased that we would see a situation during March where the rules became a bit of a running joke. I think I said it would be better for the government to go through with the pretence of announcing/permitting relaxation than allow them to become a mockery, and I think its playing out that way.

Yesterday I went for a walk in the evening up to my parents, through Albert College Park on the Ballymun Road beside DCU. It was jammed with Thousands of young people drinking. Well organised, they had deck chairs, one lot had a keg going, the place was mobbed. Now all nice kids, no sense of hassle or danger, and the 100 or so Gardai trying to move them on were very relaxed but it got me back to thinking about my post. From talking to people, whatsapp groups (the ones I havent muted at least), and other sources I sense this is the case up and down the country. A very substantial (or at least substantial enough to sustain high enough case numbers) portion of the population are ignoring it all (and I say that with no amount of condemnation whatsoever).

Any decline in case numbers from here on in will be purely seasonal/vaccinations IMO, but I'm sure we'll get some sort of speech from the doors of Leinster House commending us for our efforts.

Comment

• ROI today:

507 new positive cases
              336 Hospital inpatients
              87 ICU patients

Last edited by Mark F; 19-03-2021, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                A very substantial (or at least substantial enough to sustain high enough case numbers) portion of the population are ignoring it all
                And here, Bunk, is the bit that gets me going (although you did make me laugh earlier, so thanks for that!)

If we are accepting a sizable level of disobedience relating to the rules, what's the point? Get the vulnerable vaccinated, and just open things up with sensible precautions about hygiene and crowds.

I don't want my business to be on EWSS life support, we would be doing a shitload better without that and just be allowed to operate even under restrictions like I mentioned.

But instead, no. No no no. We're all in this together (in my mickey), and if loads of people are ignoring restrictions at this point, well we're just going to ignore that, and your can't operate anyway.

Comment

• Well on Paddy's day I drove into town,( for genuine reasons), I witnessed 1000000 Gardai in on over time, all standing in groups of 4, at most, 500mm apart with the odd mask, there was 3 guards for every junky present.
                  When I returned home, i witnessed 40 odd 20 somethings drinking, rowing, and pissing in public, not to far from my house , I called the guards but I was told there was no available cars an it could be a couple of hours before one arrived.....

This lock down horseshiyte is becoming a Joke now,
                  We are in a new life phase, not a lock down at all.
                  The political elites are proving just how out of touch they are.
                  Last edited by Rennwagen; 20-03-2021, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• Similarly Rennwagon, a friend of mine was in cork city recently and said things have gotten really bad. Junkies everywhere, dealing openly etc etc. Cork city actually used to be really good wrt drugs. Heroine addicts were not noticeable and the city was generally a place where you could feel safe. Another friend today reported he walked his dog in the city centre and did not feel comfortable most places he went.

While I am good at criticising gardai I have to say that I think the system fails them. I think I’d feel it’s a pointless activity risking my neck making arrests when those same perpetrators are slapped on the wrist and set loose on society again. So why would the gardai bother. Easier to make numbers up by pursuing motorists.

Lockdowns are having terrible affects on people, I imagine those who were drug users before and fended off addiction by just going about their daily tasks have easily fallen into major drug use just because there’s nothing else to do. I saw a person I knew but not very well has commuted suicide in the past few days. We spoke about it in a whatsapp group and another friend said it’s the 3rd such post he’s seen in a few weeks.

I think we are beyond any good that can be done by putting the world on hold. Time to try live our lives with some level of normality now again. I suppose that all depends on people participating in the public health guidelines which isn’t as widespread as needed for the precautions so be successful. We really need to have the 5km thing lifted. It’s now doing more harm than good in urban areas I think.
                    Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

• Originally posted by Smokey Bear View Post
                      Similarly Rennwagon, a friend of mine was in cork city recently and said things have gotten really bad. Junkies everywhere, dealing openly etc etc. Cork city actually used to be really good wrt drugs. Heroine addicts were not noticeable and the city was generally a place where you could feel safe. Another friend today reported he walked his dog in the city centre and did not feel comfortable most places he went.

While I am good at criticising gardai I have to say that I think the system fails them. I think I’d feel it’s a pointless activity risking my neck making arrests when those same perpetrators are slapped on the wrist and set loose on society again. So why would the gardai bother. Easier to make numbers up by pursuing motorists.

Lockdowns are having terrible affects on people, I imagine those who were drug users before and fended off addiction by just going about their daily tasks have easily fallen into major drug use just because there’s nothing else to do. I saw a person I knew but not very well has commuted suicide in the past few days. We spoke about it in a whatsapp group and another friend said it’s the 3rd such post he’s seen in a few weeks.

I think we are beyond any good that can be done by putting the world on hold. Time to try live our lives with some level of normality now again. I suppose that all depends on people participating in the public health guidelines which isn’t as widespread as needed for the precautions so be successful. We really need to have the 5km thing lifted. It’s now doing more harm than good in urban areas I think.
                      Must agree,
                      The Irony here is that Thouands have died and continue to struggle from an ilegal Drug pandemic arguable worse because its man made and no where near the same reaction.

Im begining to ask is the war on Covid necessary?

@Mark F

If you dont mind,

With all of the research and Data, Has any thing been published regarding before and after?
                      Has lockdown been quantified as to how many we can say we saved?
                      I think it's time we put a value on all this hassle.

Comment

• Looks like it is sinking into the Government that the 5km limit is just being ignored by a lot of people now.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-40218458.html

Stevie Wonder could tell you crowds are a lot more common now, along with traffic etc.

Comment

• Yes but in fairness 5km to 10km or 20km or county are all equally meaningless and will also be completely ignored but that’s how we like to roll I guess. If they think this will quell the increasing resentment and dissatisfaction, best of luck to them.

Comment

• They are not meaningless for the decreasing but still significant number of people who are still abiding by that limit.
                            It looks like they are looking at derestricting things which should never have been restricted.
                            I heard some logic used in relation to the numbers allowed at funerals which was.. maddening.
                            The number allowed at funerals was set very low not because it was particularly high risk.
                            But because to set the number higher would give people an impression that moving around was ok, as a knock on effect..

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Oh ok. I don’t know anyone who pays the slightest bit of attention to the 5km limit but maybe they do exist somewhere.

Comment

• Its a limit that was being enforced, sporadically. So I think a lot of people would like it gone.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X