This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deltona View Post
    With most of the vaccines most people will begin to develop some level of immunity within the first 18 days, but fully developed immunity takes longer. Typically the average is referenced as 45 days after the first dose when full immunity is reached.

So the timeframes do fit, if that's the overbearing factor in the decision making.
    Throw possible delays with vaccine supplies into the mix and you can see the reason for caution, and the reluctance to overegg things.
    But as ever, communications and messaging to the public are a total sh1t show.
    I keep repeating myself ad nauseum, but why has vaccinating the entire adult population become the yardstick for reopening? I’m open to someone contradicting me here btw, but any graph I’ve seen of hospitalisation and death on this thing has shown a flatline essentially until the age of 50, then a gradual rise then a sharp rise above 65 and 85. Its those groups and medically vulnerable people that represent the issue here. For the rest of the population at large this remains a largely asymptomatic disease with stats no worse than a bunch of other things we just accept as risks of walking out the door every day?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      I keep repeating myself ad nauseum, but why has vaccinating the entire adult population become the yardstick for reopening? I’m open to someone contradicting me here btw, but any graph I’ve seen of hospitalisation and death on this thing has shown a flatline essentially until the age of 50, then a gradual rise then a sharp rise above 65 and 85. Its those groups and medically vulnerable people that represent the issue here. For the rest of the population at large this remains a largely asymptomatic disease with stats no worse than a bunch of other things we just accept as risks of walking out the door every day?
      This! My whole point exactly. Surely the original mantra of Flattening the curve, protecting the elderly, emptying the ICU has all been done or has all those yardstick been totally forgotten?

Comment

I keep repeating myself ad nauseum, but why has vaccinating the entire adult population become the yardstick for reopening? /SNIP
        I agree with you, but none of us have the answer, and it's not forthcoming from any officials, so...
        Perhaps because Ireland has a health system akin to a house of cards?

Comment

• ROI Hospital inpatient trend update:

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark F View Post
            ROI Hospital inpatient trend update:

Mark, Is it much trouble to show those Graphs since march last year, seeing as we are at the 1 year anniversary of life indoors.

Comment

• 3 days in a row of the reported case qty being higher than the tested positive qty

Comment

• So now that cases are going up, who or what should we blame? People [not] going for dental appointments, students, a new strain that vaccines won’t work on, Leo Varadkar, people in Northern Ireland, people going to the beach, people not wearing face masks, Donald Trump, or in place #1,653,325 of excuses in order of culpability, each and everyone of us?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rennwagen View Post
                  Mark, Is it much trouble to show those Graphs since march last year, seeing as we are at the 1 year anniversary of life indoors.
                  Last edited by Mark F; 19-03-2021, 09:45 AM. Reason: ICU numbers from June '20 was missing data

Comment

• Thanks Man.

Comment

• I turned on the six news there to see mehole being grilled about when the mandatory hotel quarantine would start.

He would not give a date. Are they waiting untill everyone gets back from Cheltenham and then start??

Usual waffle about first and strictest in Europe, doing it right, etc etc. What relevance has that to anything?

Someone with some cop on needs to pull them all aside and get them to give a proper address two or three times a week with clear messaging.

Comment

• mandatory quarantine won’t apply to the uk
                        "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

• Originally posted by SJ View Post
                          mandatory quarantine won’t apply to the uk
                          .......especially if its "cultural"

Comment

• I think they are relying on the UK's own mandatory quarantining to take some of the load in
                            keeping cases out as well.

Comment

• I think we should build a wall

Comment

I think we need to keep in mind that people need to avoid getting this not because of the low risk of hospitalisation or death but there are some very real long term health implications for many people who get this - at any age. While you may argue that the measure of success is not ending up in hospital, long term health effects are very real even for those not ending up in hospital. Fatigue, shortness of breath, “brain fog”, sleep disorders, fevers, gastrointestinal symptoms, anxiety, and depression are the "mild" ones, with many reports of continued loss of lung function, loss of sense of smell, myocarditis, increase in strokes, and a very real risk of increasing the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease, blood clots / blood vessel problems etc.

As someone who's only 41 yet has impaired lung function due to serious asthma when I was younger, I'm extremely concerned with getting this disease because as anyone with serious asthma can tell you, the last thing we need is even more (and permanent) long term lung damage.

So the "you're young, you'll be fine if you don't end up in hospital" spiel is rather short sighted unfortunately.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X