X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfaguy
    replied
    Well when the population is living in ignorance as a result of manipulated covid figures making them lower than their actual it is to be expected I suppose. Their goon governor Desandpiss is not going to let this virus ruin his chances for his presidential run no matter how many have to die as a result.
    A little over a year ago, at a White House press conference, President Trump said a really amazing thing about COVID-19. “Think of this,” he...

Leave a comment:

• DMZ
    replied
    Enjoy that before you have to return to the hysterics in Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• Traco
    replied
    Well here in sunny Florida mask wearing is virtually non existent. It really is weird, we had breakfast in a popular place yesterday and wore our masks in and out of the joint.

Staff were wearing masks but in the 45mins or so we were there I counted 3 other customers that wore them out of maybe 20 that came and left.

Even older frail people are wandering around not wearing them. Nothing really on the news either aside from Europe being mentioned as becoming plague central.

Signs on stores might say the appreciate the non vaccinated wearing masks but in a polite, I hope I don't get shot kind of way.

Leave a comment:

• Alfaguy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gn3dr
    replied
    Originally posted by Rennwagen View Post

May he RIP.

How old was he? In good health before hand?
    He was just coming up to retirement, 65.
    While I don't know specific health details , he was healthy enough to be working full time.
    Wasn't any kind of extremist but wasn't vaccinated. Don't know the reason why, but he obviously weighed it up and made that decision. I think that decision was probably fatal.

Leave a comment:

• Rennwagen
    replied
    Originally posted by Gn3dr View Post
    I was at a funeral yesterday of a work colleague who died from Covid. He was at work 3 weeks ago. Went home and felt a bit unwell. He tested positive, ended up in hospital, then ICU and died during the week.
    Focuses the mind a bit .
    May he RIP.

How old was he? In good health before hand?

Leave a comment:

• Gn3dr
    replied
    I was at a funeral yesterday of a work colleague who died from Covid. He was at work 3 weeks ago. Went home and felt a bit unwell. He tested positive, ended up in hospital, then ICU and died during the week.
    Focuses the mind a bit .

Leave a comment:

• deltona
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron-ek9 View Post

Why not dwell on the positives? Genes aside, there is circa 99% recovery rate from the virus.
    It wasn't posted with either a positive or negative slant. It was posted to share further info connected to AG's post. If you read it you'd have noticed it was framed retrospectively re. events in Europe last year. Information is just to add understanding, it's not positive or negative just information. 😉

You obviously missed the final sentence though, which was a positive - in that this year's situation is vastly improved over last years.

Leave a comment:

• DMZ
    replied
    I don’t know if it’s 99% but if by recovery rate you mean survivability, with current about 5k cases a day that’s 50 dead a day. Which is quite a lot. 1% chance of dying is quite high I would have thought, from something you can just pick up by going to the shops. I think I would expect not to die if I stuck my head out but maybe you guys have a different expectation?

Leave a comment:

• Rennwagen
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron-ek9 View Post

Why not dwell on the positives? Genes aside, there is circa 99% recovery rate from the virus.
    That statistic is very well hidden in media reporting.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron-ek9
    replied
    Originally posted by deltona View Post

15% is 1 in 6 people. If you were told there was a 1 in 6 chance you'd win the euromillions jackpot you'd play it, wouldn't you? 😉

Also don't forget 1 in 6 Europeans have genes for the immune system which reacts the strongest to covid-19; the reaction being so strong and severe it's what leads to serious illness, and in the worst cases dreaded instances of cytokine storm.

So two different conditions which can lead to the worst outcomes. Each condition on it's own affects 1 in 6 Europeans, but when you combine the two across all of Europe you can see how the odds worsen drastically, and why Europe was being seen as ground zero last year. The vaccines obviously improve things considerably, thankfully.

Leave a comment:

• joey
    replied
    Originally posted by Titan View Post
    Yeah the dots dont seemed to be joined up there at all.

How many of the 50% no shows have similar stories,its hard to know.
    No doubt it could be a reason for some people and others may just not have shown up for whatever reason.

But agree,a lot of older people had their shots done at their GP's so it might have been a better idea to keep this system for them and reduce some of the confusion possibly.
    The system they are using now for booking seems to have some serious flaws.

Got another text this morning in connection to the appointment that we were able to cancel on the phone during the week.

In the text it says,You did not attend your scheduled appointment on Saturday. We will send new appointment date to this number. It is important that you attend this appointment to ensure your protected from COVID-19.

So that's another vaccine slot wasted again if unable get true. The helpline can't deal with the amount of calls and when you do get true they don't seem able to cancel the appointment on there system.In the media you have the head of the HSE blaming people for not turning up when it looks to me the system in place is at fault for some of the 50% non shows.

Leave a comment:

• deltona
    replied
    Originally posted by Alfaguy View Post
    only 15% of Europeans have this gene
    15% is 1 in 6 people. If you were told there was a 1 in 6 chance you'd win the euromillions jackpot you'd play it, wouldn't you? 😉

Also don't forget 1 in 6 Europeans have genes for the immune system which reacts the strongest to covid-19; the reaction being so strong and severe it's what leads to serious illness, and in the worst cases dreaded instances of cytokine storm.

So two different conditions which can lead to the worst outcomes. Each condition on it's own affects 1 in 6 Europeans, but when you combine the two across all of Europe you can see how the odds worsen drastically, and why Europe was being seen as ground zero last year. The vaccines obviously improve things considerably, thankfully.

Leave a comment:

• Alfaguy
    replied
    It is suggested but apparently not yet scientifically proven that having a certain type of gene can make you more at risk of getting very sick and dying from it but this article states that only 15% of Europeans have this gene and then even if they have it the gene has to switched on to do its (bad) stuff. Being from an ethnic minority is also a big factor and is discussed in the article. As for our own ethnic minority getting it going into shops with no face masks - yes that should do it!
    A gene more prevalent among some ethnic groups worsens risk of respiratory failure. But there are other factors at play.

Leave a comment:

• DMZ
    replied
    The strategy in Ireland, rightly or wrongly, is/was to spend those billions trying to ensure that more ICU capacity was not needed. I guess we can call that Plan A. There is no Plan B. Why not, I’m not exactly sure because like I’ve said a few times, it wasn’t exactly unlikely that we would end up in this situation given how the disease was tracking along with increased hospitalisation. Even though I still think ICU is ok-ish as this is where the vaccines really do their work and I think they can reasonably flex this to the required capacity. Plan A may still work with boosters, by the way, so it’s not over yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X