This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMZ View Post
    Renn, in case you haven't figured this out yet, the vaccination certs are there as a way to motivate people to get vaccinated. Not vaccinated... sit out in the cold, vaccinated... enjoy the warmth of indoors dining/drinking. And I'm planning to do the latter shortly.
    I suppose You are right,
    I was thinking because we are in a medical emergency that the reasons might have been to protect people from each other or themselves but .... How silly of me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rennwagen View Post
      @ SJ thanks for the information

For what it's worth,
      My last 2 grand parents died of old age during lockdown #1.
      My father has been in and out of hospital on a near weekly basis for the past 4 years, damaged his Achilles then had 2 hip replacements during lockdown and then developed problems with eye sight because of the strong medication and has been declared clinically blind and after that was diagnosed with Cancer and has been receiving treatment for that for the last 6 months while his breathing and lung capacity has gotten so bad he needs oxygen at home. He is only 66.

As a result I have seen the inside of more hospitals and care homes and medical facilities than I can count.
      The staff are absolutly wonderful, you allways get the old school teacher type but the care and service my grand parents and my father have recieved from the public health system has been second to none.

They can some times make admin mistakes which are frustrating but for all the minor issues my father has encountered, it does not reflect accuratly with the public opinion of the health service
      media portray it as some sort of wild west but in our experience, Its working very well.
      I believe vested interetinterests in the private system portray the public system very badly.

Covid aside, Our health system is generlly better than is being reported. IMO.
      Really sorry to hear about your grandparents and your dad. Did you mind me asking if you finally got your jabs? If not, given your dad medical condition, and his young age, it might be prudent to ensure that people who interact with him are up to date with their jabs, I assume he fully 'done' giver his condition.

Myself and Mrs Cappo have had our boosters last week, so feeling a little more relaxed, but taking it handy. Was out for a meal last night, and was glad to see the checking for everyone’s 'papers' was effective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cappo View Post

Really sorry to hear about your grandparents and your dad. Did you mind me asking if you finally got your jabs? If not, given your dad medical condition, and his young age, it might be prudent to ensure that people who interact with him are up to date with their jabs, I assume he fully 'done' giver his condition.

Myself and Mrs Cappo have had our boosters last week, so feeling a little more relaxed, but taking it handy. Was out for a meal last night, and was glad to see the checking for everyone’s 'papers' was effective.
        Thanks Cappo,

I received my first jab 3 weeks ago and recieved the notification for the second early this week.
        My father has been fully vaxed and recently boosted. He has been in several wards where covid was detected and closed to visitors etc but has never tested positive some of this happened before vaccines became available.

He is at home and in good form so I'm thankful for that much.

Comment

What would you do with this information once you have it or how do you think it would change anything? It's already used to prioritise vaccinations and boosters which is the best way to avoid ending up in ICU.
          I think when people are being bombarded with fear, case numbers, on an almost hourly basis, they absolutely have the right to know what the details are of
          the worst case scenarios so that they can assess their level of risk, in relation to things as they stand.

To use an extreme example, if we have 120, morbidly obese 81 year olds in ICU currently, vs 120, athletic 35 year olds in ICU, it's a wildly different story. One means there is very low relative risk of ending up there, and one means there is quite a high risk.

I just don't think we should be accepting this cherry picking of data to suit a narrative. Either give it, or don't.

For example, are those in the ICU, there because of covid solely, or they had other issues and got covid in the hospital.

To me, these things matter a lot. Perhaps you don't feel the same and that's fine too.

Comment

• I already know who generally ends up in ICU. Mainly it’s unvaccinated and seeing as I’m vaccinated the rest is pretty uninteresting seeing as my own risk is very low. For the unvaccinated, best of luck. I’m very happy for people to roll the dice with that one, by the way. Each to their own.
            I'm with the resistance

Comment

• The real scary stat for me is that the average positive has 3.4 close contacts. That’s really high by international standards. In England that number is 2.5. Over the population that makes an enormous difference.

Pretty much every other alleged reason things are worse here than elsewhere is just noise IMO.
              "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

• I had a discussion with an anti Vaxxer and he suggested he was happy not to be treated in hospital should he end up there.

Seriously couldn't believe the stupidity I was hearing. I started to go into a few technicalities yet all I was getting was the usual my choice my body....

Asked him did he understand the right to die scenario....

Asked him what happened if he ended up in hospital following a car crash and contacted Covid while in hospital....where de he want his treatment to stop and start...

Again you couldn't believe the stupidity of some of the statements that started to come out.

I get the feeling some of these people really shouldn't be given the remote control for a tv let alone a choice 😂

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Comment

• There is a man in a local town who was very much in the anti-vax camp.
                  Anyway he caught Covid and ended up in ICU for about 2 weeks.

He got out of ICU and the hospital wanted to move him to another hospital to continue his recovery and
                  he decided to sign himself out instead.
                  He still firmly believes he didn't have Covid and its still all a conspiracy.

He still needs help do to the basic things like wash himself etc so he is getting home help a few times a day.
                  There is just no talking to some people.

I don't know if anyone else read the story in the Sunday Independent today about the transplant patient whose operation
                  in the Mater had to be cancelled because there was no free ICU beds.
                  I know there is always pressure on ICU bed capacity but its when you see someone like the fella above and the potential consequences of his
                  decisions and beliefs that can have a serious knock on affect on others, that just makes you want to scream out loud
                  "Cop the f**k on"

I truly hope that person waiting on the transplant list gets another chance, sometimes you only get one chance and more often
                  than not a second call can be too late for that person.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJ View Post
                    The real scary stat for me is that the average positive has 3.4 close contacts. That’s really high by international standards. In England that number is 2.5. Over the population that makes an enormous difference.

Pretty much every other alleged reason things are worse here than elsewhere is just noise IMO.
                    I suspect those numbers (here and elsewhere) are complete fiction so wouldn’t personally put much weight on them or try to compare them across borders.

Besides, the UK is at a similar level of cases as us per population and I’m not sure they are exactly holding back or talking much about impending doom. Why is that?
                    I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Originally posted by el_marko View Post

I think when people are being bombarded with fear, case numbers, on an almost hourly basis, they absolutely have the right to know what the details are of
                      the worst case scenarios so that they can assess their level of risk, in relation to things as they stand.

To use an extreme example, if we have 120, morbidly obese 81 year olds in ICU currently, vs 120, athletic 35 year olds in ICU, it's a wildly different story. One means there is very low relative risk of ending up there, and one means there is quite a high risk.

I just don't think we should be accepting this cherry picking of data to suit a narrative. Either give it, or don't.

For example, are those in the ICU, there because of covid solely, or they had other issues and got covid in the hospital.

To me, these things matter a lot. Perhaps you don't feel the same and that's fine too.

I dunno, I don't see what that has much to do with it really.

public health is not about individuals, it's about treating the whole country, or at least large swathes of it as one patient. it's not about you or me, it's about everyone.

Comment

The real scary stat for me is that the average positive has 3.4 close contacts. That’s really high by international standards. In England that number is 2.5. Over the population that makes an enormous difference.

My young lad got it last week. He's grand, thankfully.
                        But last weekend alone, before he showed symptoms, he was in contact with 15 people (plus 30 more in his school class). Most of that was just my direct family, grandparents, cousins, etc. That might be high but i can easily see how it would happen.

Comment

I already know who generally ends up in ICU. Mainly it’s unvaccinated and seeing as I’m vaccinated the rest is pretty uninteresting seeing as my own risk is very low. For the unvaccinated, best of luck. I’m very happy for people to roll the dice with that one, by the way. Each to their own.
                          Also interesting is that eighty odd percent of people in ICU, irrespective of their status, have underlying conditions. You would have to assume that in some cases, the underlying condition prevents them from being jabbed.

Curious - Restaurants 'checking papers' has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, seemingly with a sigh of relief. If you've had your jab, and you realise that the virus can be spread to you by others irrespective of their vaccination status, why do you care?

Comment

• If you're referring to me, I don't care. I don't care if people are vaccinated or not, full stop. It's pretty clear what the benefits of a vaccine are but if people don't want it then that's cool with me. But I can understand why the HSE care seeing as it impacts their services quite significantly but also 94% vaccinated or whatever it is, is such a high number that I doubt you can get it much higher. That's a success in itself.
                            I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron-ek9 View Post

Curious - Restaurants 'checking papers' has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, seemingly with a sigh of relief. If you've had your jab, and you realise that the virus can be spread to you by others irrespective of their vaccination status, why do you care?
                              I don’t know how many times we need to say that vaccinated people are less likely to have or transmit Covid. At least one more I guess.
                              Last edited by SJ; 23-11-2021, 10:23 AM. Reason: correct error
                              "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

I don’t know how many times we need to say that vaccinated* people are less likely to have or transmit Covid. At least one more I guess.
                                *Fixed that for you, before some people find it confusing.

Comment

Working...
                                X