This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alfaguy View Post
    I have had it up to here with people like this guy playing Russian Roulette with other peoples lives and health and the future prosperity of this country. Its high time the law came down hard on people like him who will ensure this covid misery continues for decades to come.

If we stay on our current trajectory, how do you foresee C19 NOT continuing for decades? Apart from the impossible idea of every single person on the face of this planet receiving booster shots every few months for the rest of their days?
    Last edited by Aaron-ek9; 24-10-2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMZ View Post
      conneem… hospitalised or in ICU? I don’t think that vaccines are that good at preventing hospitalisation but very good at ICU. This (very good at preventing ICU) has been a consistent message from many healthcare people the world over so I have very little reason to doubt it. Re general hospitalisation… I’ve pointed out many times here that the figures are not indicating much of a reduction so… if that’s the finding in the UK then that seems consistent.
      This is just referencing hospitalised, not specifically in ICU.
      I guess I'm just trying to reconcile some of the data (or maybe more accurately, the messaging) that has been released since the summer, when the effects of the vaccine rollout began to emerge. This is more centred on UK stats which I am more familiar with at this point.

On the one hand we have these recent data from the UK which suggests that vaccination doesn't have a huge effect on shifting the proportion of hospitalisations to the unvaccinated. With a ~68% fully vaccinated population, about 61% of hospitalised are vaccinated (with the trend on that number increasing).
      https://fullfact.org/health/economis...nation-status/

However, both Public Health England and the CDC published independent studies during the summer suggesting that vaccination reduced hospitalisation by over 90%.
      https://www.gov.uk/government/news/v...-delta-variant
      https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e3.htm
      Like you say, this effect does not seem to have endured. Have we been questioning why? I think we should be, as this has long term implications on the burden on the health system (which couldn't handle an ounce more pressure at the best of times).

Then on top of this a recent report from the UK ONS provided evidence that getting fully vaccinated reduces the risk of testing positive by ~70%.
      https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...-effectiveness

To me, when you put all these data together it seems like we are missing something. Unless, we can conclude that infections are absolutely rampant among the vaccinated to a much greater extent than the unvaccinated. Perhaps there have been some selective pressure events that are leading to increased transmission but these would be picked up relatively quickly with the sequencing efforts in the UK. There was some early commentary on targeting such a narrow molecular target with the vaccines but not much mentioned about this recently. Anyway, with the NIH finally admitting this week to funding GoF research in Wuhan, specifically if "spike proteins from naturally occurring bat coronaviruses circulating in China were capable of binding to the human ACE2 receptor in a mouse model" they should have a deep understanding of what's going on
      Last edited by conneem; 24-10-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by conneem View Post

https://fullfact.org/health/economis...nation-status/

To be honest I was not expecting the proportion of hospitalisations to track so closely with their vaccination rate (about 68% fully vaccinated).

Thanks conneem, that's more like I expected. I know the Irish figure was an ICU one, but it's fairly clear from the data I linked before that it's also covering a time period during which vaccination levels were low and cannot be applied to the current state of vaccination.

​​​

Comment

• Belgium have realized there is a high transmission rate in Primary schools. So much so, that 1 in 4 kids tested in a study have antibodies. Yet our government is trying to bury its head on primary school transmission and has made it easier for it to spread there with the reclassification of what a close contact is.

Unless of course, its all part of a herd immunity plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by jf_cole View Post
            herd immunity
            My days! Don't say those words around Alfayuy!!

Comment

• The UK is saying the same. They think there's a big burn going through younger unvaccinated at the moment and that this will tail off soon enough.
              I'm with the resistance

Comment

The UK is saying the same. They think there's a big burn going through younger unvaccinated at the moment and that this will tail off soon enough.
                Wince. I hope they are right on this path.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rennwagen View Post

That horse racing event and the fruit pickers flown in must have had an Impact.
                  There was a few golfing event aswell.

IIRC the Ireland Italy rugby match at the Aviva was another optics (and quite probably) Covid transmission disaster
                  2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
                  2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo
                  2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
                  2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
                  1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
                  1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

• Latest County case data

Comment

• Comment

• Highest case Qty's in 5-12 and 35-44 yr olds - linkage to primary school kids and respective parents age group?
                        Last edited by Mark F; 27-10-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• ROI/NI comparison

interesting over last week or so that the 7 day average trend in daily hospital admissions is mirrored in ROI and NI

Comment

• Originally posted by jf_cole View Post
                            Belgium have realized there is a high transmission rate in Primary schools. So much so, that 1 in 4 kids tested in a study have antibodies. Yet our government is trying to bury its head on primary school transmission and has made it easier for it to spread there with the reclassification of what a close contact is.

Unless of course, its all part of a herd immunity plan.
                            I'm convinced it's a plan but the could never admit it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark F View Post
                              Highest case Qty's in 5-12 and 35-44 yr olds - linkage to primary school kids and respective parents age group?
                              I think so. Anecdotally this is what I'm seeing/hearing also.
                              I'm with the resistance

Comment

I think so. Anecdotally this is what I'm seeing/hearing also.
                                Also agreed - propagated by the changes in close contact rules and ability of the school to inform parents of cases in the class.

Comment

Working...
                                X