Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: the hospital number increases over the weekend, direct covid admission are only slightly up, main driver is from an increasing trend in inpatient hospital screening testing /admission screening testing

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark F View Post
      Re: the hospital number increases over the weekend, direct covid admission are only slightly up, main driver is from an increasing trend in inpatient hospital screening testing /admission screening testing

Mark does this mean people are coming in with something else and being categorised as Covid post an admission testing?
      sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post

Mark does this mean people are coming in with something else and being categorised as Covid post an admission testing?
        Yes, that or there has been an outbreak in a hospital(s) and inpatients have been infected since being admitted.
        (qty 70 of these since Friday) - rate of these type of hospital cases have nearly doubled from approx 12 per day end of last month to 23 per day now
        Last edited by Mark F; 18-10-2021, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Inpatients by hospital as of 8pm last night

Comment

• OK so the increase isn't by and large as a result of external to hospital transmission followed by the necessity of in-patient or ICU treatment for Covid itself as opposed to something else? not something which is being highlighted.
            sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

• I think it's mostly telling us that hospitals aren't very good at preventing spread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                OK so the increase isn't by and large as a result of external to hospital transmission followed by the necessity of in-patient or ICU treatment for Covid itself as opposed to something else? not something which is being highlighted.
                Granted when identified they take the same resources/segregation as that of direct covid admission but as you say it not something which is being highlighted or any context being given around the hospital numbers.

Comment

• A school in Wexford has closed because there are so many cases. I think the government have made a massive error on how they handle contact tracing and categorisation of close contacts in schools.

The primary school our kids go to, sends out notices to parents that there are head lice in the class, or chicken pox, but not Covid. 25 kids in Senior infants and the teacher got Covid. Those kids would have taken it home. So the transmission was in school in this case quite obviously (remember the government said it didnt really happen?).

There was a study released today - Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 After COVID-19 Screening and Mitigation Measures for Primary School Children Attending School in Li├Ęge, Belgium | Infectious Diseases | JAMA Network Open | JAMA Network on how primary kids are more often asymptomatic and are bringing it home.

Will the government make a U Turn on this? Nah - easier to blame the brits, unvaccinated people, other things outside of their control and putting it on personal responsibility.

Comment

• Lots of ambiguous, unhelpful commentary coming from NPHET and the HSE today. Such as "Hit the reset button" from Paul Reid.

Which could mean.

A. Hit the reset button and return to normal life pre-covid.
                    or
                    B. Hit the reset button and returning to rolling lockdowns.

Or any point inbetween

Comment

• Originally posted by jf_cole View Post
                      So the transmission was in school in this case quite obviously (remember the government said it didnt really happen?)
                      Wasn't the original variant not an issue with the younger crowd but the new delta variant is? I remember both those things being announced...

Comment

• Originally posted by fester View Post
                        Lots of ambiguous, unhelpful commentary coming from NPHET and the HSE today. Such as "Hit the reset button" from Paul Reid.

Which could mean.

A. Hit the reset button and return to normal life pre-covid.
                        or
                        B. Hit the reset button and returning to rolling lockdowns.

Or any point inbetween
                        I think it's clear from recent announcements that NPHET have not got a clue what is going on, or why, despite the highest rate of vaccination in Europe, we have the highest cases. they are then doing a typical Irish thing, which is to reach for anything remotely plausible and try to latch on it to appear like they do know what's going on.

On 5th October Philip Nolan said the following;

"We're fortunate with our very high level of vaccinations and frankly the very sensible manner in which each and every one of us is taking the precautions, we seem to have come close to suppressing what is a very transmissible virus."

So he lauds our pheneomenal vaccine uptake and how responsible we are.

Within the space of less than a week we moved from that to "losing control", "all medium to long term measures of the virus are deteriorating" and being on a "knife edge". It's everyone's fault but theirs. It's the unvaccinated (rofl), and actually its all of us because even the vaccinated have "stopped doing the basics" etc etc. Now for the life of me I dont know what "medium to long term measures" can swing so dramatically in such a short space of time.

What a remarkable flip-flop that is.

The messages are very contradictory. On the one hand theres a shameful and disgusting (IMO) attempt to blame the unvaccinated, on the other Leo says that the booster program (which is only for already vaccinated people) is going to solve matters, but there doesnt appear to be definitive scientific concensus that boosters actually do anything.

Taken collectively, the Irish public have been world class through this thing. We accepted the longest restrictions of any country with minimal fuss compared to others, the vaccine uptake as we all know is at a point where most countries would consider it "full vaccination", and our compliance with masking and the other measures has been as good as I've seen anywhere.

I wonder when, as a public, we become entitled to ask when we can expect the health service to be able to cope with what are comparatively small numbers attending hospitals (considering the default operating model of our system pre covid was to have 900 people on trolleys at any given time).

Comment

• Originally posted by TuneR View Post
                          Wasn't the original variant not an issue with the younger crowd but the new delta variant is? I remember both those things being announced...
                          Correct - but in September they deemed many close contacts to no longer be close contacts. If you have 2 kids in school and one has covid, the other can keep going unless they show symptoms. Like any other person. Even though they live in the same house, use the same bathroom, travel in the same car/bus etc and may be playing with each other and swapping toys/books/controllers or whatever. And a kid on the same table being covid positive, does not mean that you are a close contact and should be tested anymore. Even if you sat next to Covid Mary for a week.

The booster vaccine is going to be even harder to sell to the public and we should be ramping up. Data has shown the vaccine efficacy wanes and a top up is required. Health care workers were vaccinated back in Q1 this year. Their efficacy is waning, yet no plan yet as to when they will receive a booster. This may be a reason why its started to accelerate in hospital settings?

But its everyone elses faults of course.

PS, rather sad this thread has come to life again

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                            The messages are very contradictory. On the one hand theres a shameful and disgusting (IMO) attempt to blame the unvaccinated
                            Yup. And they either don't know what is happening (which is the more logical explanation) or the public are being kept in the dark about the reasons for the deviation from the normally expected outcome from the exceptionally high vaccination rate in this country. Every single medical expert is pointing to the unvaccinated (approx 370k people) as being the problem and they should not be let away with that response alone. There has to be something else at play, and either they don't know what that is or there is pressure to not let that out. As jf_cole suggests, it could be Primary Schools or it could be something else. But it is not related to vaccination rate, something other countries are rightly envious of.

Tonight, we'll get the NPHET leak. Then tomorrow they brief the Cabinet and then that gets leaked too. And then on Friday we get confirmation of what was leaked already. We could probably play some kind of Catchphrase Bingo on the Cabinet coverage like "the starkness of the reality was laid bare in Government buildings" or "NPHET's sobering assessment was shocking for some Ministers" while we're at it. Ah well, plus ca change.
                            1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                            2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                            2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

• On the whole school thing, two weeks ago my oldest developed a cough , when she woke up the next morning it was noticeable worse. So we booked her in for a test. The results came back positive Late the next day. We were contacted by the hse the following morning to go through close contacts, we told the tracer our daughter was in school all week, they said they don't contact the school anymore, that there is some portal schools can check to see if there has been positive cases in their school.

We decided to contact the school directly to let them know our daughter had tested positive, only to find out another two pupils sitting at my daughters table had tested positive the previous week and there wasn't a single mention of it to us, I was absolutely funming.

Also when the contact tracer was organising tests for us, initially they were only going to send our other two daughters for tests as my partner and myself were vaccinated and had no symptoms. so we lied and told her that we had sore throats in order to get a test. We all went for tests and got our results the next day, low and behold everyone except myself came back positive.

So we went through all the contact tracing again for everyone. At the end I asked them how long do I need to isolate for and they told me I don't need to isolate as I'm negative and have no symptoms. I couldn't believe it, even though I was living in a house with 4 other people all of whom have covid, I was free to go about my normal business, they said yes just make sure you wear your mask and sanitise your hands more often.

Lucky I informed work of the situation and they agreed it was best I stayed out until it was safe to return.

No wonder the numbers are back up, what did they think was going to happen when they stopped contact tracing for close contacts in schools. the whole thing has turned into a shambles

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited by AMGE34; 18-10-2021, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• They are looking for Herd immunity through the schools i reckon!

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X