This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJ View Post
    I'm not sure there's much benefit to vaccine passports if well over 90% of people are vaccinated anyway.
    I'm not sure they ever made a whole lot of sense, regardless of % of vaccinated, seeing as they are not preventing transmission at all, but are good for improving outcomes, thankfully.

Was just thinking when travelling recently that it was actually the unvaccinated (who would have had pcr/antigen tests in the previous days) who were the "safest" folk on the plane. So really the whole passport thing is illogical, as are mandates that we are seeing in the US. It's more coercive than anything, and very wrong, imo.

Out of curiosity, SJ, is there any talk of mask requirements being removed in retail settings at some point? England have done it and made it personal choice, and I think it's a psychological hurdle that needs to be broken, to get rid of the optics of it all and allow people to move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by el_marko View Post

I'm not sure they ever made a whole lot of sense, regardless of % of vaccinated, seeing as they are not preventing transmission at all, but are good for improving outcomes, thankfully.
      This is absolutely not true. There's a seven-fold reduction in transmission associated with vaccination according to recent county-level data from the USA:

E_Z_wfqVcAInGsi.png
      Last edited by SJ; 28-09-2021, 09:45 AM.
      "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

• If that conclusion is based on the likelihood of getting tested being equal among vaccinated and unvaccinated then I think you can ignore it. I would say contact tracing is the best way to measure this: test results on close contact unvaccinated vs close contact vaccinated.
        I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Interesting SJ, thanks for sharing. Is there a webpage reference or something that was shared internally only? They seem to be very dramatic numbers.

Comment

• Heh -not at all -I swiped it from New York Magazine.

There's a good story here about age and Covid, and it's linked therein:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...imination.html

Comment

• Originally posted by DMZ View Post
              If that conclusion is based on the likelihood of getting tested being equal among vaccinated and unvaccinated then I think you can ignore it. I would say contact tracing is the best way to measure this: test results on close contact unvaccinated vs close contact vaccinated.
              And is it based on that? Have you found any research? would you like to share any data?

Comment

• I don’t necessarily check it every day but today’s Irish Times digital front page does not mention Covid-19 at all which I think might be a first for quite some time. Which incidentally correlates well with the real world where it’s barely talked about anymore. Normality and what not.
                I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Not missing it at all. Great to be back to sort of normal. I have two personal and two business trips planned in the next 8 weeks.
                  sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

• I like that I check this thread less and less.
                    Thanks to Mark F it was my single source of truth every day since last year.

Bravo Mark!

Comment

• Yep, cracking effort! It was/is very helpful.
                      I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Originally posted by DMZ View Post
                        I don’t necessarily check it every day but today’s Irish Times digital front page does not mention Covid-19 at all which I think might be a first for quite some time. Which incidentally correlates well with the real world where it’s barely talked about anymore. Normality and what not.
                        I asked on this thread about 18months ago, "when will the media move on"..... it has.
                        They hype the shyte out of every issue. Not saying covid wasnt or isnt a real thing but as I lie here at home unvaccinated with the "Flu" and waiting for a covid test result..... if its positive and I have covid..... well , I had the Bejing Flu years ago and it was 10 times worse than this thing.
                        I'm nearly disappointed.

One thing that struck me yesterday as I went for my covid test at Citywest hotel.
                        The people there, who are doing this work and putting themselves in harm's way, are absolute heroes. I was actually emotional and felt so proud of the people there. As the media moves on looking for its next big calamity I think as a nation, we need to honour the people who took on these roles and put their personal safety to one side for us all.

Edit;

Result came back negative.

Last edited by Rennwagen; 29-09-2021, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Agree Renn,those front line workers should get some thanks but I dont think an extra bank holiday would cut it,especially if some of them then have to deal with people who went a bit overboard at the pubs and end up in A&E causing chaos as usually happens.

Glad to hear you dont have the virus from Chynna and you make a speedy recovery,maybe with the help of a hot whiskey 😉

Comment

• Renn,

Get vaccine please.

Comment

• Comment

• Breakdown in age categories below 18yrs no longer being published

Comment

Working...
                                X