This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikerd4 View Post
    I know its not vaccinated or unvaccinated debate but the decisions dmz has said happened in italy. The medical staff literally jad to choose the most likely to survive given how bad thing had gotten. Thats pretty much a war like like triage scenario
    I believe plenty of countries found themselves in this situation and had processes for how to select who got treatment. Plenty of palliative care for elderly left to die in nursing homes.

Anyways, the reason I bring this up again is that supposedly hospitals in several US states are now running out of capacity and need to prioritise who gets ICU care and who doesn’t. I don’t follow US news and most definitely not the crackpot stuff that seems to be associated with anything US related these days, but if there’s anything on how they prioritise it would be insightful if they use vaccination status as a parameter in the decision. Seeing as the vast majority of patients who end up in ICU are not vaccinated it may not matter but I’m curious none the less.
    I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Cases in Primary schools seem to be sky rocketing. Will they ask them to start wearing masks?

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• latest NI heat map - still in the depts of darkness

Comment

• ROI/NI comparison update

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark F View Post
                latest NI heat map - still in the depts of darkness

Jeepers that's shocking - what is going on up there?

Comment

• Some of what is going on feels like the last days of the Tiger. The scramble to shift overpriced houses and cars for a start. I know the underlying factors are different but I have that same weird feeling of "buy nothing right now" that I had in 2008.

The real-world inflation out there is bonkers. Housing is a biggie, obviously as are cars and building materials. But it's the small things too. I looked at a Saturday night stay in Limerick recently and there wasn't an Airbnb going and hotels were €150+. I now know that's partially due to a lack of student accommodation and those students are divering to hotels and other accommodation.

Petrol had lingered around the €1.35-1.39 mark pre Covid and is now heading for the high 1.50s. And restaurant prices are starting to get a bit shameless too, we were in Ennistymon the other weekend and fancied lunch only to find a place charging €22 for pork skewers. Good luck with that, the food cost of the dish is €4 tops.

My biggest eyeopener this week was deciding I was going to put a chest freezer I bought in 2016 on Donedeal. I checked my emails to find I'd paid €119 for it in Currys. The same model is now €199 so I might even get my money back. What an investment. But it's not just cut price white goods, the price of bicycles is well up, plane tickets are well up, energy costs have gone up too. The price my barber charges for a haircut jumped from €21 to €27. Costs, said he. Drink is up too because of that spiteful move to stop promotions and even the weekly Lidl shop doesn't seem to be as cheap as it used to be.

And it feels like it's going to get worse. Anyone working in FDI in the regions is probably inundated with job offers from Dublin-based companies on Dublin money because nobody will move there because of the rent. I know of two people who moved to Dublin-based companies on fully remote contracts recently and had salary increases of 40%-50%, which is a good thing on the surface but en masse this of course leads to all kinds of other knock-on effects elsewhere like localised income disparities. There does also seem to be a bit of purchasing power about due to accumulated savings but if anyone remembers what happened when the SSIAs matured they'll realise that this isn't necessary a good thing either and the deferred spending that built up will take a year or more to unwind.

The biggest frustrator with inflation is that it is really bad for a saver and so maybe I should just buy a 993 Carrera or a 996 Turbo.
                  1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                  2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                  2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

• Can't argue with any of that, feels very very similar.

I'm trying to avoid buying anything at the moment and am instead trying to sell sh1t around the place. it is not hard to do, no shortage of money out there.

also currently starting to fear my worst brexit prediction coming through. I think it combined with covid supply chain issues is causing the amount of space tesco allocate to head and shoulders to keep dropping in our local store. I think it might be time for me to stockpile it!

Comment

• Just about sums it up Flet. Ive said it for a while now, people are spending money like its going out of fashion. in 12 months it might a diferent story but right now its a good time to be selling cars given how quickly stuff is shifting and the prices being asked. I reckon I could sell my car I bought 18 months ago for more than I paid for it if I wanted to.
                      Im looking for trades tpo do work on the house and I know a few others in the same boat and things have gotten to the scale of 18 years ago. Lads not turning when they say they will or giving silly quotes cos they are so busy but will do it if the silly price is agreed.
                      How long this can keep going is the million dollar question.

Comment

• Comment

• Buy nothing is right. No flights, no holidays, no cars, no nuffink. The sooner the the flush spend their recent gains the better and we get a bit of sanity. The mrs wanted me to price houses in Dingle for Christmas. <sigh> ok says I, but you're wasting my fcukin time. I bet twould be cheaper fly the lot of us to the Canaries. -3500 to 5500 for a festive gaff west.

Chiquita bananas.

On the shopping thing, it was always an achievement to manage to spend over 100 quid on a Lidl or Aldi trolley. And you'd need a Canyonero to fit it all in the boot. My last three trips to either have broken the 150 quid barrier, and not a beer or a steak or spontaneous chainsaw to be seen.

Comment

• Imagine the benefits to the local economy when people spend big locally. No harm in that vs endless Ryanair flights to wherever which used to be borderline obsessive. Mind you, I’m sure some of the top end hurts with lack of big spending Americans.

I’d imagine the reason supermarkets are more expensive is because of Brexit meaning more is sourced locally (hopefully). Yes not as efficient but if money stays within the borders for a change there’s no harm in that. Brexit was always going to make things way more expensive and here we are. Ceasing to be integrated with the UK market was never going to be cheap.
                            I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X