X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 day rolling average plateauing again after a brief rise

Comment

• The Saolta group of hospitals not doing so well on the outbreak front with UHG the latest in the group to have one

Comment

• Well my bubble has been burst over the last few days. I had a sore throat Tuesday morning, I called in sick after mulling it over and had a positive test result by Wednesday evening. Four from Five in the house positive, the wife and myself vaccinated and the kids with a single vaccine each.
        I’m lucky that I hadn’t visited my mother close to getting the symptoms or that would have been a real worry.

I thought things were progressing nicely but not so fast. If I got a flu a while back there was no worry attached to it, now your waiting to hear did the old lad in the pub you were chatting to make it to Rip.ie.

Comment

• Sorry to hear that Sideline. Hope all recover quickly.

I'm actually starting to wonder now if it's only a matter of time before we all get it and hopefully if vaccinated the worst outcome is two weeks inconvenience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Traco View Post
            I'm actually starting to wonder now if it's only a matter of time before we all get it and hopefully if vaccinated the worst outcome is two weeks inconvenience.
            This is exactly what is going to happen. All restrictions will be gone in about 5 weeks and everyone is going to get it unless they live in a self-imposed bubble. That's tough for people who have genuine risks like immunosuppression and I miss the mature discussion that should come with this decision of letting rip but hey this is Ireland and nothing is ever as it seems.

I've had Covid once (tested positive) and possibly even twice as I was extremely ill for a week in Nov-19 but that was pre-known knowns. The second time was post double dose of vaccine and was five days of discomfort, 2-3 weeks post viral tiredness and if it is anything like the first dose it will be maybe 2-3 months to get back to 100% fitness. Annoying, but I'd rather that than living in some sort of suspended reality for years on end with Tony's tea leaves, TikTok Harris, politicians doing what they want regardless of restrictions, the Attorney General's office being totally compromised by Leo The Leak and all of it set to the tune of the nightly infection stats.
            1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
            2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
            2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

• If we are all gona get it why vaccinate kids?

Comment

• I visited my brother over in Spain at the end of July, he lives in the covid hotbed of Catalonia.

After I came back I had a really persistent headache (oddly at the back of my head near my neck) that lasted for about 3 days, and just when I was beginning to think I should get it checked out it disappeared. A little later I read that headache is one of the symptoms of the delta variant so did I get it or was it after effects of a week of excessive alcohol consumption with my bro?

His teenage kids were only just getting their vaccinations while I was there and he said every kid in Catalonia from 16 upward decided to engage in a self made super spreader event after school finished and holidays started, and the entire population of that age cohort just swapped covid between each other with abandon.

Who knows, but if it was covid and that was the only effect, it would indicate to me that 1) my vaccination (J&J) worked as intended and 2) This will probably be the way it will go for everyone so lets just stop all the fcukology about concerts, events, tourism etc., the restrictions are still crippling huge numbers of businesses...

Comment

• The most shocking part of this video is where its disclosed that 50% of the medical staff are unvaccinated!

Comment

• I don't think we've conceded that 'everyone is going to get it' at all. There's every chance we can get R sustainably below 1 with vaccination. It's very close now and an extra push could make a difference.
                    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• 1368 positive swabs today , 9.75% positivity on 14,034 tests.
                          7 day test positivity is 9.3%. and starting to head in the right direction

Comment

• Originally posted by SJ View Post
                            I don't think we've conceded that 'everyone is going to get it' at all. There's every chance we can get R sustainably below 1 with vaccination. It's very close now and an extra push could make a difference.
                            Completely agree with the first point, and I can understand that theres no way medically or politically someone could concede something like that. I'm a bit dubious about the R number etc. however.

We have by any stretch, the most successful vaccine uptake nearly in the entire world. 88% of all adults fully vaccinated, with 90+% at least 1 dose. This is way beyond what most countries have set themselves as targets or expectations with many aiming for 70% (and struggling to get there!). The unvaccinated in Ireland are largely the young, who were most likely to be asymptomatic and least affected by the disease in the first place. Yet I see we have now the highest case numbers in Europe with case numbers being stuck in the 1500-2000 range for several weeks now.

So considering by most metrics we are "fully vaccinated" I'm not sure what "the last mile" is going to achieve in real terms (in case numbers). Thats not to say that cases wont go down, they almost certainly will as it runs its natural course. But an attempt to link that occurrence to us getting the last few done is a leap I cant make.

[for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not suggesting vaccines dont work in reducing hospitalisation.......they clearly do and in some ways thats all we should care about.....but talking purely in terms of cases I think as more and more data comes in we are going to see they were oversold in terms of pure transmission of the virus.......even looking at our own situation, I dont think we could have been producing our case numbers for the last several weeks without significant transmission among the vaccinated population]

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X