Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any stats or info on people that went hospital for something serious, subsequently contracted it in there and it took them out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Traco View Post
      Is there any stats or info on people that went hospital for something serious, subsequently contracted it in there and it took them out?
      Yes. About 750 people contracted it in hospital and subsequently died.
      "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

• Originally posted by Traco View Post
        Is there any stats or info on people that went hospital for something serious, subsequently contracted it in there and it took them out?
        Similarly, any numbers for those that are in for a routine spleen-ectomy or some other such procedure or arrived at A&E with a broken finger, tested postitive on admittance and are counting as covid patients?

Comment

• Originally posted by SJ View Post

That many?

Comment

• That's what Mark F's diagram shows with the different admission categories, which if I'm honest I still don't understand but then I'm not 100% sure I care. Covid is Covid, an admission is an admission.
            I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Originally posted by dimitri View Post

Similarly, any numbers for those that are in for a routine spleen-ectomy or some other such procedure or arrived at A&E with a broken finger, tested postitive on admittance and are counting as covid patients?
              People wish this was a big thing but it's not.
              https://www.independent.ie/world-new...-40692662.html

Bunk yes, and over 2000 acquired in nursing homes and subsequently died.

Covid absolutely ran riot in hospitals during the early stages - 44% of all cases in China at one point were hospital acquired. More than 8,000 people in the UK died of hospital acquired Covid.

The good news is that as of now, rates are right down - we've gotten on top of it to a large extent.
              Last edited by SJ; 25-08-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJ View Post

Thanks for that.

I assume thats since the beginning as I wasn't ecpecting a number like that - any idea how many of those were fully vaccinated and had not contracted covid would have maybe had a second roll of the dice?
                I have heard of two in as many days but it could be chinese whispers and whether it would have made much of a material impact is impossible to say. Although if it was the case then I wonder how we will get healthcare back anywhere near nomral in the short term.

It also seems like booster shots are now a given from what I heard on the radio, maybe that will be the true beginning of the end of this.

Comment

• It's not relevant for me personally so I haven't bothered checking but do "we" treat people who have had Covid the same as those who are vaccinated in terms of access restrictions? Quite a few countries do. As in naturally acquired immunity is the same as immunity acquired through vaccines.
                  I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Comment

• ROI/NI comparison

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark F View Post
                        The bottom graph... it has been bothering me for a while. Basically what that's saying is that the relationship between cases and hospitalisations is more or less the same now as before the vaccinations. Those two blue lines are tracking more or less the same way through-out with maybe a marginal improvement of late. Given that we know that vaccines are very good at preventing hospitalisations, it must mean that it's the unvaccinated who are mostly getting infected. It's quite strange, though, that this shows up like this in the stats given that it's the young who are mostly unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated/covered but also much less likely to end up in hospital in the first place. Something doesn't compute somewhere.
                        I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Thought it might be interesting to repost this directly below Mark's graph above
                          Originally posted by SJ View Post

Here's the central scenario projection for hospital and ICU. I hope they're wrong.

Comment

• Missed a couple of things above:
                            1 - DMZ -yes we treat 'recovered' the same as vaccinated. In fact Tony H says recovered have 9 months immunity, while the EU say 6 months. You can get an EU cert based on recovery.
                            2 -Traco - yes the vast majority of hospital acquired covid cases came before vaccination - remember basically nobody was fully vaccinated until at least march 2021, and the number of deaths has tailed off very substantially since then. In fact Healthcare worker cases are down around the same prevalance as the rest of the population (having been 3-7 times the rate at one point)

Comment

• Testing update:

2091 positive swabs today 8.98% positivity on 23,277 tests.
                              7 day test positivity rate is 9.6%.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X