This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Titan View Post
    Jesus Donegal is taking flight again....
    Neighbours in Derry on the same flight!

Comment

• Originally posted by DMZ View Post
      0BAE9339-5696-42B0-B709-DA6748B1B7E7.jpegThe problem with deaths as an indicator is that they lag so much that by the time those numbers spike all you know is that you did something wrong two months ago.

I think we should look at Northern Ireland tbh. Their hospitalisations are beginning to go up a bit. It’s certainly big increases in percentage but of course small numbers in absolute terms. I think NPHET would view it as worrying, though.

We’ll see if this screen grab comes out ok.
      Relative comparison of ROI VS NI on daily cases, daily hospital inpatients and daily hospital admissions

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by DMZ View Post

I don’t think you can determine excess deaths in Ireland, though.
            Odd statement - we keep records of deaths like anyone else. Excess deaths would be deaths outside the average norm for the time of year. Doesn't mean they were all Covid deaths, but it's a likely indicator.
            https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• I’m sure you’re right which is why Ireland never appears in any comparisons (the original point) and why people use rip.ie for analysis. That definitely points to high quality data on deaths, I agree.
              I'm with the resistance

Comment

• In Ireland you have 3 month in which to submit the notification of death but you can do so to any local civil registration office, as a result there is a subsequent time lag to load onto the central register i would have thought, so it could take 4 months in reality for some deaths to show in any official figures

Comment

• While number have started to to rise,in real term they are really small increases, to put into context, at peak in Jan we had 2020 people in hospital and 221 in ICU

Comment

• Originally posted by crank_case View Post

Odd statement - we keep records of deaths like anyone else. Excess deaths would be deaths outside the average norm for the time of year. Doesn't mean they were all Covid deaths, but it's a likely indicator.
                    Originally posted by DMZ View Post
                    I’m sure you’re right which is why Ireland never appears in any comparisons (the original point) and why people use rip.ie for analysis. That definitely points to high quality data on deaths, I agree.
                    Originally posted by Mark F View Post
                    In Ireland you have 3 month in which to submit the notification of death but you can do so to any local civil registration office, as a result there is a subsequent time lag to load onto the central register i would have thought, so it could take 4 months in reality for some deaths to show in any official figures
                    That's what I was mentioning earlier, which DMZ replied to. When you check any international orgs which compile global stats (private or otherwise) most of them don't carry data for Irish deaths, and often you'll see a comment re. Irish death stats not being accurate or verifiable so are instead omitted.
                    I don't fully understand it, and haven't looked into it at all to be honest. But as DMZ says, when researchers look to notices posted to RIP.ie by undertakers as they seem more reliable than state figures then questions have to be raised re. quality data on deaths.

Comment

• Tbh I have no idea why this is but I was puzzled when people started talking about rip.ie back when excess deaths was the main talking point instead of using actual stats. I think I went looking for the official stats at the time but couldn’t find them. Which doesn’t necessarily mean anything. But the fact that Ireland never appears in international comparisons seem to imply that it’s not data that is readily available.

Anyhow, I think we’re beyond the excess deaths stuff now so… live and let live, as they say.
                      I'm with the resistance

Comment

• Standing in line for shot number 2. Still have headaches from the first one. Wish me luck!

Spent the last few days in west West Kerry with the cousins. They're all stark raving foaming at the mouth anti vax conspiracists. It's mad. All lovely worldly intelligent people in every other respect but you just couldn't mention the war. So I did a lot of nodding and hmmming and shaking the head and "I know yeah" sighing while trying to gently redirect.

Comment

• That is weird that we don't have verifiable death stats for a country so obsessed with funerals. Does perhaps explain why a couple of hundred children dying under the care of the church could go unnoticed, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Another weird thing - if you phone the HSE helpline number (verified it on their website), caller recognition shows it coming up as "Sligo Taxi" ... what..the...heck?

Maybe someones being playing silly games with caller recognition, but you'd think someone would notice and sort it out. The last thing you want is people not having confidence they're not ringing a scam number.

https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• of course we have proper death stats. in terms of Covid HSPC publish some of the most accurate data in the world. still paused because of the cyber attack unfortunately
                            https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/...rtedinireland/

"All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

• The issue isn't stats on covid deaths though.

It's why statistical bodies worldwide all carry similar messages as to why they don't list death stats for Ireland. Out of 190-odd countries globally more countries are listed than unlisted with death stats, but Ireland stands out as a developed country where death stats aren't listed.

Of the places which do carry figures from the CSO it's usually accompanied by language such as 'averaged', 'estimated', 'subject to review', 'dependent on Inter-censal review' etc

I don't know the reason, as it was last year when I was looking into it, but just raised the question when death figures were being mentioned in the thread on the off-chance somebody could explain it.

Comment

• example please
                                "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

Working...
                                X