No announcement yet.

Electricity bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing to be aware of is how many devices we have in standby mode in our homes these days - PCs, TVs, Consoles and other things.

Their power consumption can go up or down depending on updates or how you've set it up. You might not have knowingly changed habits, but sometimes it can be good to go back and check over the power/sleep setting of all your devices in case they got changed in a recent update. It's not going to explain your full bill of course.

Article here gives you the numbers for various consoles:

How much it costs to power PS5 and Xbox Series S/X | Eurogamer.net

Also, it's good to keep in mind the most efficient device to use for consuming content. For example, if you're streaming netflix on a PS5, you're using a fair bit more power than if you'd just used your smart TV or a chromecast.
    https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

Originally posted by blascae111 View Post
      I got an email out from Board Gais to submit my electricity meter reading. I also got the smart meter installed a few weeks back. Whats the point in the smart meter if i have to submit meter readings from something thats supposed to be "Smart".
      I was told it was a few weeks before the smart meters are online.

Originally posted by TRD3000GT View Post
      I need to ring them, but our tariff is broken into 3 buckets based on time of day, it appears all our usage is billed under peak rate between 5 to 7 pm
      Sounds like you are on the new smart meter plans so. Our usage was 444 units Sep-Oct this year vs 556 units last year, we were on holidays a week this year and it was a milder autumn. 2 adults and 2 kids.
      With Energia and unit charge is now at 44.44c now.

Also you can get wireless monitors that show your current usage, my parents have one for seeing what the electronics use. Their old oven sucks so they're using the airfryer and slow cooker more now.

Comment

I've a question.
        There is a smart meter installed in my house. But as far as I know. We have to sign up to a new smart plan to put the smart meter to use.
        I myself believe that a company collecting data on you, is never good for your finances. Is my belief correct or not?

Comment

I've no personal experience, but I am on a Solar PV/battery group on FB, and 95% of people there say a smart meter costs you more.

​​​​
          www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan View Post
            I've no personal experience, but I am on a Solar PV/battery group on FB, and 95% of people there say a smart meter costs you more.

​​​​
            I hear the same and what's worse once you activate your smart meter there is no going back apparently.

Comment

I'm with Electric Ireland and standing charges went to 76.14c(ex vat) per day, next bill due shortly so will see what that is. I don't have a smart meter yet but a letter from the ESB arrived last week saying one is being installed in the coming weeks. Not sure if that will make any didffernce based on my current plan. Have done a lot of whats suggested and trying to keep dishwasher, washing machine and dryer at the fore of peoples thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Traco View Post
                I'm with Electric Ireland and standing charges went to 76.14c(ex vat) per day, next bill due shortly so will see what that is. I don't have a smart meter yet but a letter from the ESB arrived last week saying one is being installed in the coming weeks. Not sure if that will make any didffernce based on my current plan. Have done a lot of whats suggested and trying to keep dishwasher, washing machine and dryer at the fore of peoples thinking.
                Once its fitted you have the option of staying on the plan you are on or opting into a smart plan. Apparently they suit some people you just need to do the sums but once your in one it seems they can't go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan View Post

​​​​
                  Meh, had it installed since Feb this year and the usage has been much the same/lower than the previous year. I always entered the meter reading on the day/a day after the request though. Perhaps other people just didn't and get caught out when they actually get the right reading.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinC View Post

Once its fitted you have the option of staying on the plan you are on or opting into a smart plan. Apparently they suit some people you just need to do the sums but once your in one it seems they can't go back.
                    The house I'm on about is the rental in Dublin. There are 5 of us in it. All coming and going at different times. Showers, washing machines. Tumble drier etc. I think I won't activate a smart price plan just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TuneR View Post

Meh, had it installed since Feb this year and the usage has been much the same/lower than the previous year. I always entered the meter reading on the day/a day after the request though. Perhaps other people just didn't and get caught out when they actually get the right reading.
                      That could be us. I never read the meter since the bill went into my name.

Comment

Was talking to a knowledgeable and helpful Electricity provider support person today , was a nice surprise

Even though we signed up for a smart meter plan 4 months back, they assigned us to a standard flat rate of 0.2965 cent per unit regardless of time of day ; that explains why our bill is under the one rate

Second issue was the actual 2 month consumption of 2043 kwh ; they over estimated our bill by 800 kwh , over estimate conveniently calculates to the the value of the Government credit ; Having a new bill , re-issued; still think it is fairly high , need to test the meter is correctly recording consumption

To test if you have an issue with your meter , they said to kill power at the fuse board , wait 15mins for the meter to record all consumption (15 min delay to record what was used)
                        Write down the reading as a baseline , if it does not record additional usage, you are good, otherwise you have an issue
                        Doing it with Twins is better than being Single
                        http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?7376-TRD3000GT-Project

Comment

Would it be worth testing the smart meter anyway. Even if I haven't signed up to the smart meter plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Limerick View Post
                            Would it be worth testing the smart meter anyway. Even if I haven't signed up to the smart meter plan.
                            Regardless of your plan, You are testing it is recording your consumption correctly,

He did say any meters with issues they came across , it was evident after the install it was not correctly recording usage
                            tracking usage, it only facilitates reporting usage by time of day , but at a cost you can put sensors on each circuit breaker and illustrate usage by room, depending how your house is wired

If you want usage by device, you will need to buy one of the smart home monitors , use smart plugs

Its purpose in reality is to allow the esb remotely manage the network, a good cost saving negating the need fir somebody to physically go to your property to read the meter, pass on the price of the unit to the consumer via standing charge
                            Doing it with Twins is better than being Single
                            http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?7376-TRD3000GT-Project

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X