Electricity bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electricity bill

Did anybody get their electricity bill , ours is normally 250 mark , but has jumped to 650 with no change in habits
    None of these are estimated bills

Has electricity tripled in price
    Doing it with Twins is better than being Single
    http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?7376-TRD3000GT-Project

Huge increase but also in the standing charge which nobody seems to be mentioning.

Comment

Have you checked the number of units used for this bill and compared them to previous bills? Also whether you bill is a meter reading or has been estimated?

Comment

Originally posted by Traco View Post
        also in the standing charge which nobody seems to be mentioning.
        Well that's to pay for the "free" smart meters.

Comment

I'm not seeing these price increases our bills for the last 5 year were always between 220 and 250 depending on the time of year. I looked into it for the first time at the end of last year and got with bord gais as it was working out a bit cheaper per unit. Since then our bill has always been less than 200 and with the credit applied for the next one i'm expecting it to be free. Now in fairness when all this talk of high prices started we became a lot more conservative with our use but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfaguy View Post
            Have you checked the number of units used for this bill and compared them to previous bills? Also whether you bill is a meter reading or has been estimated?
            Not estimated, comparing to January when 4 adults lived in the house , we have gone from 1252 to 2043 this bill , makes no sense , 2 vs 4 people in the house, nearly double the consumption
            what I do find strange, bill states we used 1500 units during peak , 5 to 7 pm
            I have no idea what's caused the jump, sit in the house at night in the dark just tv on.. am still using pir sensors to turn lights on and off as you walk into a room

I read a few had issues with smart meters incorrectly recording usage

standing charge 45 ex vat
            Last edited by TRD3000GT; 17-11-2022, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TRD3000GT View Post
              what I do find strange, bill states we used 1500 units during peak , 5 to 7 pm
              I am with electric Ireland and it is my understanding that unless you opt for the night rate consumption charges are not related to peak or non peak. I looked into night rate and calculated its not worth it as daytime usage is then very expensive and cancels out any possible benefit of using the night rate option.

Comment

I got an email out from Board Gais to submit my electricity meter reading. I also got the smart meter installed a few weeks back. Whats the point in the smart meter if i have to submit meter readings from something thats supposed to be "Smart". I have a bill coming soon so will be interesting to see if there is a massive rise. We have not changed our usage since the hikes were proposed

Comment

1500 untis during peak ? how much are you charging for a kilo from the grow house?
                  Don't bother with Eco, it's not very nice, leave it in normal & drive it like you just stole it.

Comment

I moved to EI in the summer, initial unit price was €0.21(ish), then immediately €0.28 and now €0.39kw/h, standing charge is high but I don't think it has change in the 5 months.
                    In terms of consumption, I got a meter to measure how much each appliance is using, as an example the dishwasher and washing machine both use 1kw/h per cycle, so that's €0.39 each time you use it. Same stuff with the sky box and wifi, about 50c per day. But that all adds up over a 60 day billing term.
                    Have wholesale prices have come down at all? I can't easily find out what they are, unsurprisingly.
                    Last edited by Rochey; 17-11-2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the drifter View Post
                      1500 untis during peak ? how much are you charging for a kilo from the grow house?
                      I need to ring them, but our tariff is broken into 3 buckets based on time of day, it appears all our usage is billed under peak rate between 5 to 7 pm , it is my opinion the meter is not giving them the data they need to allocate usage to the tariff buckets , they are billing us at the highest rate , make sense as our bill is always estimated, defeats the whole purpose of a smart meter ; :D:D:D:D show as usual, gaming of the system going on

Comment

Originally posted by Rochey View Post
                        I moved to EI in the summer, initial unit price was €0.21(ish), then immediately €0.28 and now €0.52 kw/h, standing charge is high but I don't think it has change in the 5 months.
                        In terms of consumption, I got a meter to measure how much each appliance is using, as an example the dishwasher and washing machine both use 1kw/h per cycle, so that's €0.52 each time you use it. Same stuff with the sky box and wifi, about 50c per day. But that all adds up over a 60 day billing term.
                        Have wholesale prices have come down at all? I can't easily find out what they are, unsurprisingly.
                        Did you get some sort of cashback offer when you moved as 52c per kWh is very high?, I renewed with Bord Gais for 36c per kWh on 24hr non smart plan just last week.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinC View Post

Did you get some sort of cashback offer when you moved as 52c per kWh is very high?, I renewed with Bord Gais for 36c per kWh on 24hr non smart plan just last week.
                          Sorry got that wrong, it's €0.39 currently

Comment

In my house I think Scrooge would be envious. We use 4.4 units per day so our electricity bill is not too high but the heating is gas/solid fuel and cooking is gas only. Banned using the dishwasher, tumble dryer, immersion (plenty of hot water from the electric shower as and when needed) and now that the oil heating is no longer being used all those electric pumps are not on all the time.

Well where did you think all that money for fancy motorbikes was coming from.
                            Last edited by Alfaguy; 17-11-2022, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traco View Post
                              Huge increase but also in the standing charge which nobody seems to be mentioning.
                              The standing charge gave an enormous increase over 2-3 billing cycles this summer, incidentally around the time when the first €200 credit came.

With Electric Ireland, unit prices (day) increased from .22c to .42c year over year, standing charge is up from .68c to .99c.

We've managed to get our unit per day average well down from 13-14 per day to 10 which coupled with the €200 credits keeps things in check.

Best advice I'd give in terms of making simple changes is change every bulb in the house for LEDs - doesn't cost much - and switch appliances off at the plug at night. Then buy one of those electricity monitoring plugs and test your main appliances. We decommissioned an ancient freezer that was gobbling electric on that basis. Also, submit a meter reading for every bill so you're always comparing like with like, and can predict bills ahead of time while also spotting major changes in habits/consumption.
                              1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                              2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                              2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X