No announcement yet.

Whatcha ridin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I managed to sell a track bike and an older road bike so put the money into a gravel bike. I had hoped to buy a nice new road bike as I get closer to returning to cycling proper, but options are super limited, this, however, was a great option and as everything seems to be selling out so quickly, I just grabbed it. Signed up to the Galway Classic Sportif in about two weeks. Probably not smart as I’ve not cycled more than 20km in a year.
    Attached Files

Comment

• NBD for me today alsp. Goant revolt advanced 2 Gravel bike. Lots of trails near me in the Cooley mountains, and some of the guys i cycle with do gravel spins also, so hoping it will be an occasional alternative to long boring winter training spins

452A9121-696x464.jpg

(random picture grabbed from internetz)

Comment

• Be interested in hearing how you get on with it. I need the 650 wheels for where I'll be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murakami View Post
          Be interested in hearing how you get on with it. I need the 650 wheels for where I'll be.
          i was thinking of getting a set of 650b wheels at some stage and fitting some 50mm tyres. 38mm as standard, 45mm biggest on standard rims. I'll see what the trails are like - i've done some of them on a cross bike with 33mm tyres, but the bigger volume would be nice for some of the hairier bits. Will let you know.

Comment

• Cool, I’m looking at battered old bog and quarry roads with substantial sizes of rock stuck out. Hopefully it’s well able for them.
            Last edited by Murakami; 11-08-2021, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Well wear lads. Is ther new bike market still in a bit of a mess ?

Comment

• To my reading, yes, there’s some low level stuff (sub €2k) about and then there’s some top end (€4K +) but not much in between. Plus the risk of buying from UK means we’re relying more on German and French sites. If I can, I may just buy a Chinese frame and swap the group set and wheels from my PX over to it. I’m not sold on disk brakes (aesthetically) or 11 speed yet so happy to stick with older stuff.

Comment

Be interested in hearing how you get on with it. I need the 650 wheels for where I'll be.
                  went for a spin on saturday, good bit of gravel climbing on fire roads, steep, not much mud, fairly hard packed. It was fine on the 38s. I went up to the Mast in the Cooley's, and came down via what looked like a grass trail. It was -36% in some places according to strava!! anyway, no issues with grip, i could feather the brakes to control the descending speed, few rocks but nothing sharp. Tyres were fine. Running tubeless, and have a hefty 60 psi in them. Did a road spin yesterday on it, and while it was a lot more comfy than the cross bike (planet x xls evo) and lots of gears for climbing hills, it is slow. kinda 4 - 5 kph slower than road bike. I plan on throwing a set of road wheels on it to see does that make a difference as I'd like to use it as a winter bike aswell.

All in all, happy with the purchase, and dont see the need for 650 wheels just yet. If i was looking for one bike to do everything (except go fast) then this would be up there.

Comment

• Originally posted by fortytwo View Post

went for a spin on saturday, good bit of gravel climbing on fire roads, steep, not much mud, fairly hard packed. It was fine on the 38s. I went up to the Mast in the Cooley's, and came down via what looked like a grass trail. It was -36% in some places according to strava!! anyway, no issues with grip, i could feather the brakes to control the descending speed, few rocks but nothing sharp. Tyres were fine. Running tubeless, and have a hefty 60 psi in them. Did a road spin yesterday on it, and while it was a lot more comfy than the cross bike (planet x xls evo) and lots of gears for climbing hills, it is slow. kinda 4 - 5 kph slower than road bike. I plan on throwing a set of road wheels on it to see does that make a difference as I'd like to use it as a winter bike aswell.

All in all, happy with the purchase, and dont see the need for 650 wheels just yet. If i was looking for one bike to do everything (except go fast) then this would be up there.
                    Awesome, I won't get a feel for mine until I get it home tbh. I'm doing this thing in Athenry on Saturday. Still haven't been on a bike in a year though.

Comment

Awesome, I won't get a feel for mine until I get it home tbh. I'm doing this thing in Athenry on Saturday. Still haven't been on a bike in a year though.
                      eeek. Let me know how you get on. I signed up for the Gravel Grinder (https://www.facebook.com/LakelanderGravelGrinder/) which should be fun. 100k, 1300 metres climbing, 85% gravel.

Comment

eeek. Let me know how you get on. I signed up for the Gravel Grinder (https://www.facebook.com/LakelanderGravelGrinder/) which should be fun. 100k, 1300 metres climbing, 85% gravel.
                        Yeah, I will, my knee keeps swelling up when I try and cycle so I may not finish it. We'll see, I have physio the day before

Comment

This just reminded me my entry from last year carried over to this year!

Comment

Good event, we’ll run. Difficult by fun course. Doing 90km with absolutely no time in the bike not clever. Broomwagon had me in its sight for last 10km. Slow puncture didn’t help. Road bike with decent size tyres trumps gravel bike for that event. Not sure where I stand on the gravel Bike thing now tbh.

Comment

• Got more into road biking lately and fancy an upgrade from my Ridley.

I don't do enough road biking to justify buying new so looking second hand.

Struggling to choose between these 3. If anyone could offer any advice would be great!

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for...-bike/28869016

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for...-bike/28887572

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for...n-slr/28910299

I'm in Donegal so preferably buy in Donegal. But the Boardman looks great value.

Comment

• That Boardman is a nice looking bike for the money as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X