No announcement yet.

Whatcha ridin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair enough. I might stick it up for sale down the line when my skills improve. Your new bike looks tasty! Best of luck with it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Desmo View Post
      There are so many variables it'd impossible to quantify TBH - how aero you are on the bike, the weather on the day, your equipment. The ROK is fairly flat or rolling as long spins go, it's only clocking about 1000m ascent per 100km. I'd say if I rode a steady solid Z2 230/240w all day would easily be enough for somewhere 30-33, though it's not easy either to just go out and ride that steady level power for hours on end either.

Bryan McCrystal was down there recently enough for an Ironman. 3.5k swim, jumped on the bike then for a solo lap of the ROK at about 40avg, then ran a 3h15 marathon.
      https://www.strava.com/activities/3982746262

That's what 318w avg for 4.5hours on a TT bike, disc wheel, skinsuit, aero helmet will get you. I'd be done after an hour
      Well, it's definitely doable. Had a go on Saturday, 186w average and 200w normalised power. Better pacing and fuelling I reckon it could have been a bit quicker. Met a headwind coming out of Cahersiveen which didn't help either. Happy with that average all the same.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Solid riding, not as far off the pace as you thought you were. You'll definitely crack that a different day. 5h40 would be the rolling 30avg so you only need to pull back just over 1min/hour, tiny on such a big spin!

Comment

• Any thoughts on decent rim brake wheelsets available immediately? Budget of about 1k +/-20%. 38-60mm carbon would be lush but not sure there are any worth entertaining at that price point beyond say hunt or scribe, both of which are saying mid to late July dispatch. Crc have the usual suspects in stock, ksyrium sl, fulcrum zero, etc.

Pretty close to pulling the trigger on fulcrum zeros but keen to hear of anything else worth considering.

Comment

• Originally posted by colm89 View Post
            Any thoughts on decent rim brake wheelsets available immediately? Budget of about 1k +/-20%. 38-60mm carbon would be lush but not sure there are any worth entertaining at that price point beyond say hunt or scribe, both of which are saying mid to late July dispatch. Crc have the usual suspects in stock, ksyrium sl, fulcrum zero, etc.

Pretty close to pulling the trigger on fulcrum zeros but keen to hear of anything else worth considering.
            No affiliation with the seller, would these suit?
            http://www.adverts.ie/19433307

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I've been using a pair of Prime RR50's the last couple of summers and have nothing bad to say about them for the money. Look nice, make nice noises. Small bit flexy but not sure whether it's hub, rim or spokes so have to set the brakes marginally wider than I'd like to avoid rubbing, but it's not really an issue for me tbh. Only other bit of a disappointing thing about them is that they're not built with bladed spokes, but again, don't particularly care. Decals can be removed, tubeless compatible etc. Don't usually ride that bike in the rain so can't attest to NW Ireland braking conditions!

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50...ncher-wheelset

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                  I've been using a pair of Prime RR50's the last couple of summers and have nothing bad to say about them for the money. Look nice, make nice noises. Small bit flexy but not sure whether it's hub, rim or spokes so have to set the brakes marginally wider than I'd like to avoid rubbing, but it's not really an issue for me tbh. Only other bit of a disappointing thing about them is that they're not built with bladed spokes, but again, don't particularly care. Decals can be removed, tubeless compatible etc. Don't usually ride that bike in the rain so can't attest to NW Ireland braking conditions!

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50...ncher-wheelset
                  These are always top of the list when I filter down on crc but always scroll past them. If they’re noticeably flexy with you on them, my 85kgs might be too much punishment for them.

Comment

• I have a set of 50mm prime disc wheels on race bike, and don't notice any flex, and am a bit more than 85kg. They are the wide ones so Dunno if that makes any difference

Comment

• Ha! Ah we're not too far apart Colm, I'm 77/78kg. But yeah if you're someone that wants an immediate bite right at the start of the lever throw then you do need to run the pads slightly wider. I don't find the rear too bad but there's a little flex out of the saddle on the front. These, Conti Supersonics, sworks turbo cotton tyres ... fast setup.

Comment

• Interesting observations. I had pretty much sold myself the fulcrum zeros or campag shamals.

On a similar note, any experience with new 12s chorus? Or is previous (2015) super record the nicer option?

Comment

• No, no experience of the 12s stuff unfortunately. Running previous gen on all the bikes at the moment - 2015 Athena11, 2011-14 Chorus11, 2011-2014 Record11. No particular reason for that other than haven't had cause to change them, though I do prefer the aesthetic of that generation to the new 12s stuff. If you're looking at the SR stuff s/hand you'll need to pay a bit of attention to the model codes because they changed the pull ratio in 2014.

All the 11s groupsets were kind of interchangeable with each other in terms of chains and cassettes. I'm using shimano cassettes on most wheels and sram chains on most of the bikes. I haven't checked it out yet but I don't know if that's still the case with 12s.

Comment

• Good to know! I’ve been curious to try campag for a while now, and with my power meter disintegrating last week and making do with an auld 5700 crank, and the broken spoke this week pushing me to buy new wheels, I thought I’d just go all in and switch to campag, partly driven by the fact shimano and sram aren’t easily got atm! I’ve been on 7900 shifters and mechs (and brakes) for a while, and while they still work great and look nice, my bike has become a bit of a mish mash of various generations of parts on a nice 2020 frameset.

Cyclesuperstore have 11s SR in stock at just under 2.4K and crc have 12s chorus at just under 1.4K, which would allow nicer wheels, but hey if I’m going to do something stupid I might as well do something really stupid ey?

Comment

• Don't be worried about wheels - freehub is an easy change. In fact it can be a source of a right bargain. I bought superlight ffwd carbon clinchers online last year. The Shimano ones were 1800, the campag ones 1100. The only difference was an 80 euro freehub change!

Wheel availability is a problem though for sure. Especially for anyone running rim brakes and trying to stay out of the "tubeless" mire. I kinda saw it coming and stocked up on normal old school wheels so I'm sorted for this supply chain nuclear winter. If you see any, snap em up.

Comment

• Originally posted by bloke View Post
                                Don't be worried about wheels - freehub is an easy change. In fact it can be a source of a right bargain. I bought superlight ffwd carbon clinchers online last year. The Shimano ones were 1800, the campag ones 1100. The only difference was an 80 euro freehub change!

Wheel availability is a problem though for sure. Especially for anyone running rim brakes and trying to stay out of the "tubeless" mire. I kinda saw it coming and stocked up on normal old school wheels so I'm sorted for this supply chain nuclear winter. If you see any, snap em up.
                                Where did you pick them up? Import costs are another issue on top of availability.

Comment

Working...
                                X