No announcement yet.

Sea Swimming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't do lane training but in the sea it's every 2nd stroke towards land. Easy to maintain that pace and no wave in the face.

Comment

• First time back in the water since December today, with all sorts of new baby sleep deprivation. I decided not to join the fast lane so hopped into the middling ability lane but got held up on my first 100m effort by two lads crashing into each other, so I hopped into the fast lane before they started their main set and just sat on the back for the 20 x 100m efforts. It was a slog but I didn’t go as badly as I expected all things considered. Only 4 or 5 weeks til it’s time to crack out the wetsuit again and get back in the sea!

5BBFD628-F40A-429C-A2EA-4FF925E42F12.png

Comment

• Escape Irelands eye is on this year again, 2k swim back to Howth if anyone is interested
        as Marcus Gronholm once said "up the arse of timo".....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQhQSbe6fw

Comment

• Linky here:
          http://igstudiotech.howthaquathon.co...w59nZ6Y9bnz6aY

Signed up, although i might not be able to go, will know in the next week or two if i have to have surgery on my dicky elbow. Stupid decrepit body.
          Last edited by Jeremy Taxman; 21-02-2022, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• The sea is calling for a lunchtime swim, first one since October, let’s see how this goes!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Its freezing, still. Good luck!

Comment

• Sea temp on the ride though. Hitting 9.2c the last few days.
                That will change though as the weather changes this week so probably back to the 8's 🙃

Comment

• Had a pretty lovely 1.2km swim in that yesterday! Was a bit cold along the pier but warmed up once we were out in the open!

Comment

• Wetsuit or no Colm ? It was quite chilly this morning so thinking I'll put the wetsuit on this week and start doing some distance.

Comment

• Howdy all. Just started to take the plunge myself into sea swimming. I am 3.5km from Salthill in Galway so cycle to the changing area near the tower and do a few laps from the tower to the steps near the beach, then walk back to the tower and repeat a few times, as do not like swimming away from shallower ends just yet. It is about 70 meters according to Google. Herself got me a cheapo wetsuit from Penny's but seems to do the job. I still have fear of going out more into the open water but hoping with time to build up fitness and confidence.

So any advice on it all though as I am clueless and just starting off, also what other gear do I need, etc.?

Thanks a mil.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimgti View Post
                        Howdy all. Just started to take the plunge myself into sea swimming. I am 3.5km from Salthill in Galway so cycle to the changing area near the tower and do a few laps from the tower to the steps near the beach, then walk back to the tower and repeat a few times, as do not like swimming away from shallower ends just yet. It is about 70 meters according to Google. Herself got me a cheapo wetsuit from Penny's but seems to do the job. I still have fear of going out more into the open water but hoping with time to build up fitness and confidence.

So any advice on it all though as I am clueless and just starting off, also what other gear do I need, etc.?

Thanks a mil.
                        I only took it up myself last year and the best thing I done was swim with a group. You’ll benefit massively from a proper swimming wetsuit, doesn’t need to be expensive, I’ve an orca open water core I got for 170 euro and have swam nearly 115km in it, including a podium in a 3km race and placings in a few other races. Goggles are essential. You’ll need a tow float too. Some people use neoprene hats but I’ve never wanted for more than a silicone hat, and just double up on cold days. Some people use gloves and boots but I’ve never been bothered by cold hands or feet. Earplugs are a good shout to prevent surf ear, I just cheap zoggs ones but some of the lads I swim with really rate surf ears.
                        Last edited by colm89; 14-05-2022, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the tips. Work with a guy who does a lot of windsurfing. He had the problem with his ears, did not sound pleasant

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X