Google Drive backups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Drive backups.

So I have my Samsung set to backup to the Drive. Now, there's GB's worth of photos on the drive that I deleted off my phone, and they're taking up space on my drive that I need. I thought I had it set that when a Sync occurs, it deletes from the drive what is no longer on my phone. Obviously not the case.

Is there a way to do this or am I going mad?

You'll need to provide a bit more info.

What/how was the backup being done?

Typically a device backup takes up a minimal amount of space on Drive. Similar situation with contacts, messages, WhatsApp (depending on images and other media) etc
    One possible scenario;
    If you used Google Photos to automatically backup the images then they're stored on your Google account. This will consume your account storage, and reduce available storage on Drive.
    In G Photos there's an option to automatically free up storage on your phone as you go (once the images have been backed up). This keeps local storage available on your phone rather than it filling up with images.
    From your description you've either;
    A) Used something else to backup your photos to Drive
    B) Allowed G Photos to backup photos, reducing available Drive storage, but not used G Photos to delete your unwanted photos/images. You may have used another app to delete them locally (e.g. Samsung Gallery for example). But that isn't managing your G Photos catalogue.

Could be a few other scenarios too - we don't know how your phone has been configured, but something akin to the above is the most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by deltona View Post
      You'll need to provide a bit more info.

What/how was the backup being done?

Typically a device backup takes up a minimal amount of space on Drive. Similar situation with contacts, messages, WhatsApp (depending on images and other media) etc
      One possible scenario;
      If you used Google Photos to automatically backup the images then they're stored on your Google account. This will consume your account storage, and reduce available storage on Drive.
      In G Photos there's an option to automatically free up storage on your phone as you go (once the images have been backed up). This keeps local storage available on your phone rather than it filling up with images.
      From your description you've either;
      A) Used something else to backup your photos to Drive
      B) Allowed G Photos to backup photos, reducing available Drive storage, but not used G Photos to delete your unwanted photos/images. You may have used another app to delete them locally (e.g. Samsung Gallery for example). But that isn't managing your G Photos catalogue.

Could be a few other scenarios too - we don't know how your phone has been configured, but something akin to the above is the most likely.

Closest is B). I remember setting it that I did not want to delete photos from my device once uploaded to G Drive, but I thought I also had it set to Sync, which I thought meant that when I clear out photos using Samsung Gallery, it will also delete these from the G Drive, as they would no longer be in sync. I don't struggle for space on my device and basically what I'm looking for is that when I delete stuff to clear up space, I only want to do it once. I tend to do a good clear out every couple of weeks, and it tends to be memes or other needless stuff.

Comment

If it's memes and other such junk then don't have G Photos backup those folders on your device. It's also not necessary to have it backup other folders such as WhatsApp, as the WhatsApp backup is already saving that media, and also swallowing Drive storage, so you could be storing stuff twice unnecessarily if both WhatsApp and G Photos are backing up the same images and other media.

If you want to manage your library of photos using G Photos then you need to do it using the G Photos app or at photos.google.com on a computer.
        Using another app on your phone to manage local files is doing just that - managing the local files.
        If it's already backed up in G Photos then it's catalogued and stored there and must be managed there.

The best thing to do with most preinstalled apps (including Samsung Gallery) is often to just remove or deactivate them, or stick them in an app folder which you'll never use. All they do is cause confusion for people, IMHO.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
        Working...
        X