Android phone suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android phone suggestions

I get my phone through work and Vodafone, which sadly limits me somewhat.
    Currently have a Huawei p30.

Prerequisites are;
    1. Not huge. Wouldn't really want anything bigger than the 6 inches I have (stop sniggering down the back! ). Especially as I have to put it into a protective case. (behave....)

2. Good battery life. I'd hate not to get a day out of a charge.

3. Good camera. I make a lot of instructional videos for customers with the phone, and take a fair few pics.

4. Has to be tough, my phones get a hard enough life in the garage, with dust, knocks, being used with oily hands etc.
    Tied in with that, easy to find cases and screen protectors are important.

The p30 is.... grand, but has been glitch-y. Microphone has deteriorated terribly, the OS crashes or freezes an odd time, and sometimes it's like the screen has someone else pressing buttons on it other than me!

I don't use the phone for gaming or as a notebook really.

What's the good options on the market now?
    Anything less obvious (to me) like Xiaomi?
    Sadly I don't think Vodafone will offer me a Sony Xperia like I really want...

Tia.
    www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

I've a Xiaomi Mi9 a few years now. Only criticism is that the camera hasn't any video stabilization but apart from that it's been great.

I'll probably get another one when the time comes. Think this was around the €350 mark and has been dropped from the forklift, van etc countless times. Battery life is deteriorating a bit now but if I fully charge it and turn on battery saver it will do a day.

Can't comment on the current models but I found GSM arena the best for comparisons.

Comment

I have a oneplus 9 pro, its a pretty damn good phone and can be got sim free cheaper than most of its contempories. The hyper charging means even though the battery is grand you dont need to worry as it charges so quickly

Comment

Originally posted by Traco View Post
        I've a Xiaomi Mi9 a few years now..... and has been dropped from the forklift, van etc countless times. .
        Sounds good to me!
        www.PatHoranMotors.com

Comment

Been looking at the Xiaomi 11 T 5G on here myself. www.gomibo.ie . The only thing that has stopped me is that I really like my current Xiaomi Mi Max 3 because it is huge, but all the new phones are much narrower.
          They also have good prices on other Xiaomi phones as well as mainstream brands. Haven't bought from them myself but they seem to get good feedback on Boards.ie

Comment

I'm that old guy looking for a phone that's not huge, still
            www.PatHoranMotors.com

Comment

If you really want the Sony would you not just buy it sim free? Treat yourself and all that. You can change to a sim only plan then which is only 15-20 a month with unlimited everything.

I always bought sim free in the long run you end up paying for it anyway? Just my 2c

Comment

I had a few Xperias before and the XZ2 premium I think it was which I loved.
                And a Xmaoi the last year that a friend gave to me for free and it was good although a small bit slow at times.

I got a Google Pixel 6 recently as an upgrade when got a call from them and the guy was really pushing the Google and even though like you, I was kinda holding out or trying to justify geting Sony 1ii but I'm delighted altogether with the Pixel 6.

Being a Google phone, the Android system isn't a piggy back like on other phones so is quite quick and no wing of any hesitation or glitches yet.

The camera is 50 megapixel and very impressive altogether! My wife as a Pineapple 11 or whatever number they're on these but I hate Apples or Samsung's interface and even though the camera is great on them, she was blown away when used mine to take a pic the other day.
                I took a pic of underneath a Defender yesterday too when looking at it for a friend that's on holidays and it was like shining a torch under it with how the low light function works.

I've just a screen protector as haven't got round to getting a cover yet but I've dropped it a few times in the garage or on hardcore already and even though I've chipper and cracked the screen protector, the phone is still perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by fast focus View Post
                  If you really want the Sony would you not just buy it sim free? Treat yourself and all that. You can change to a sim only plan then which is only 15-20 a month with unlimited everything.

I always bought sim free in the long run you end up paying for it anyway? Just my 2c
                  Because I won't be paying for it!
                  www.PatHoranMotors.com

Comment

That is a family business if you get it now or later your still paying for it and if your dad can squeeze one more rally car outta it i'm all for it

Comment

"Tristan's Samsung galaxy options are:
                      Samsung galaxy a52s 128gb for 0.00
                      Samsung galaxy a53 128gb for 99.99 once off
                      Samsung galaxy s20 FE 128gb (only in the colour blue) for 199.99 once off
                      Samsung galaxy s21 FE 128gb for 249.99 once off
                      Samsung galaxy s22 128gb for 499.99 once off "

So my only choices are something out of a bag of Apples (no, absolutely no chance), or one of the Samsung phones above.
                      And of those, the last one is a definite no-no.

Opinions?
                      Bear in mind I'll need both a screen protector and a gel case.
                      I don't really need huge megapixels, battery life interests me more.

​​​​​​
                      www.PatHoranMotors.com

Comment

How much is an iPhone 13?

Comment

Another vote for the Google Pixel, either the new 6 or the previous 5.

I have the 5 and my dad has the 6 no issues with either. The 5 is smaller more suited to your requirements but the 6 is still a reasonable size compared to other new models.

I'll have the 5 over 18 months, not one issue with it over that time. I still easily get a full day out of the battery with 20-30% left going to bed most days. It's still lightening fast to this day as well. Since it's a Google phone you get the benefit of getting Android updates before any other manufacturer.

I work in a sheet metal factory, dropped off the forklift and out of my hand numerous times, never cracked the screen. Used regularly with oily or dusty hands as well

Comment

Originally posted by Cold View Post
                            How much is an iPhone 13?
                            No idea, and tbh, no Interest.
                            www.PatHoranMotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrianC1 View Post
                              Another vote for the Google Pixel, either the new 6 or the previous 5.

I have the 5 and my dad has the 6 no issues with either. The 5 is smaller more suited to your requirements but the 6 is still a reasonable size compared to other new models.

I'll have the 5 over 18 months, not one issue with it over that time. I still easily get a full day out of the battery with 20-30% left going to bed most days. It's still lightening fast to this day as well. Since it's a Google phone you get the benefit of getting Android updates before any other manufacturer.

I work in a sheet metal factory, dropped off the forklift and out of my hand numerous times, never cracked the screen. Used regularly with oily or dusty hands as well

The only options they are giving me are the ones listed. Which is a bit :D:D:D:D, tbh.
                              www.PatHoranMotors.com

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X