Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oculus Quest 2

Got one for these at the weekend.

Absolutely fecking amazing experience, for a lot less than a PS5.

Still getting to grips with it, but incredible how it fools the mind at times.
    Bar initial setup (which involves pairing to phone/Facebook) super easy to use, comfortable and slick UI.

The more you play, the more intuitive it becomes - at the start I was thinking about what buttons to press on the handsets etc, but after a few days it's just muscle memory.
    I've only been playing the free games and animations so far.

I've held off buying any VR items as it always feels like there's 'something better round the corner'.

But if you've any interest, this is really a good starting point and a fantastic experience. Already sitting down in front of a telly to play a game seems quite old fashioned.

I was looking at these recently, but a bit hesitant. Unfortunately you have just confirmed that a now need to buy one
    No the hard part is finding time to play it!!
    Argos seems to be the best price?? Where did you buy?

Comment

Would like to see how you get on long term. I had a rift s and it was bricked after a firmware update with no help from customer care. I was incredibly disappointed to return it for a refund because VR is mind blowing. I imagine wireless is a big step up in terms of the experience.
      Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

Do these require a PC or are they standalone? How does it work for purchasing games and apps?
        https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

Totally standalone and self contented. No wires.

It links to an app on your phone, you can purchase via that or within the headset itself.

All that seems to be 'required' is a Facebook account. I'm not yet sure how/if they cross pollenate, certainly a spam free experience.

Originally posted by Jasper View Post
          Argos seems to be the best price?? Where did you buy?
          I was lucky enough to get it via work - so it came direct from manufacturer.
          Last edited by VeeAte; 23-11-2021, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Santa is bringing one of these this year I believe - might need to borrow it myself for an extended period! Many games available?

Comment

Yes, the range of games isn't bad - I can see a lot of VR games developed for other systems ported over (I was very close to getting a PS4 with VR helmet to play Rez Infinite, but see it's available for Oculus now). Prices are bigger than app, smaller than console - most new games between €20 -30 with the more 'experience' type apps less than 10. There's a lot of free content too - a YouTube VR app etc.

I'd say for Xmas what comes with the headset could probably be enough - there's an excellent training app which teaches you all the VR basics and is still a lot of fun to play. I'll update as I buy more stuff!

Comment

That moment when it first 'works' is compelling. Feels like you are experiencing the dawn of a new tech. Reminds me of the first time using a computer back in the late 70s.

I have an Oculus DK2 sitting on a shelf gathering dust. While it was amazing, even in that primitive form, it gave me rotten motion sickness. Not sick as such but just feeling unwell/headachey for a good hour after using it. Has put me off trying anything newer, how have you found the Quest from that point of view? Any ill effects from using it for a while?

Comment

Originally posted by cdiv View Post
                  While it was amazing, even in that primitive form, it gave me rotten motion sickness. Not sick as such but just feeling unwell/headachey for a good hour after using it. Has put me off trying anything newer, how have you found the Quest from that point of view? Any ill effects from using it for a while?
                  I'm interested in this too. Previously I could only manage 5-10 minutes and would then have to stop and lie down for a while because I'd suffer nausea and headaches. But I've not tried anything in over 4 years, so am interested in hearing how things have developed.

Comment

Yes, I've tried older VT systems, right back to going to Xtravision in Rathmines circa 1996 to play on an original Virtuality arcade machine (the headset had twin CRT TV screens inside them, so it had to be clamped bone-crushingly tight to your head, while the weight meant you spend most of the game staring at your virtual lap.)

I think the big issue with VR is any sort of lag between the movement of the head and the 'view' changing.
                    The graphics on the headset are probably around Wii levels of resolution and feel on most of the games - stylised rather than real - and I imagine that allows a high frame rate.

I have found no nausea, but am limiting myself to a max maybe 50 mins at a time with the headset on.

I have found a few 'experience' videos to induce nausea - but that is more from actually believing you are about to jump out of a helicopter in a wing suit or that you're swimming in shark infested waters (I did actually say 'f*uk off' aloud while turning that off one).

Another big difference is if you are sitting or standing - some videos and apps specifically state you need to sit. When you stand and move, it can be a big head wreck taking the goggles off, as you can be facing a completely different direction to when you started.

Comment

Can't say I'm convinced by the library so far. Perhaps the only game that looks compelling is Moss. Which sort of has you sitting down and guiding a small character. I could see that more genteel aspect being a thing to overcome the motion sickness and movement problem with more action oriented games. Games that are essentially big train sets that you look down on, from a very literal interpretation of that idea with a virtual model railway/scalextrix, or imagine playing a strategy game from a god perspective. Picking up your minions and popping them down on the map.

I think if the PS5 gets a native VR headset I might invest in one if I can play Gran Turismo 7 in VR.

Comment

Originally posted by cdiv View Post
                        That moment when it first 'works' is compelling. Feels like you are experiencing the dawn of a new tech. Reminds me of the first time using a computer back in the late 70s.

I have an Oculus DK2 sitting on a shelf gathering dust. While it was amazing, even in that primitive form, it gave me rotten motion sickness. Not sick as such but just feeling unwell/headachey for a good hour after using it. Has put me off trying anything newer, how have you found the Quest from that point of view? Any ill effects from using it for a while?
                        i have seen you throw an 140i around Anglesey in a way it should not be driven and you say VR gives you motion sickness πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Comment

Originally posted by LeoD View Post

i have seen you throw an 140i around Anglesey in a way it should not be driven and you say VR gives you motion sickness πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
                          😎When both my ass and my head know I'm going sideways I'm good, as soon as they start disagreeing... 🀒

Comment

Free your mind and your ass will follow?

Comment

Recommend the following on Quest or Quest2 :
                              Eleven Table Tennis
                              Walkabout mini golf
                              Onward
                              Plenty of other excellent games - but those above really shine when a few mates are playing too.

and if you have a PC - Assetto Corsa with Mondello and obviously your car of choice, add in your steering wheel, and its amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X