No announcement yet.

Oculus Quest 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Made the mistake of watching a VR tailer for the movie IT. Moderately proud to say that when the scary clown Pennywise suddenly appeared right next to me instinct took over and I attempted to punch him in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by VeeAte View Post
      Update: Made the mistake of watching a VR tailer for the movie IT. Moderately proud to say that when the scary clown Pennywise suddenly appeared right next to me instinct took over and I attempted to punch him in the face.
      Must be true what they say about video games breeding a new and much more violent breed of teenagers and - eh - 'post teenagers'

Comment

Both your posts about reactions from the game have me chuckling here VeeAte..

as for needing a bookface account, is this the “metaverse”??
        ElDel, “I ask this purely out curiosity DMZ, but did your lack of interest in the generic come from your ownership experience of the Golf R?”

Comment

I've had my Quest 2 for over a year now & I still love it & use it as much now as I did when I first got it. I got mine because a mate who had a Quest 1 let me have a go of his & I though that was so awesome I bought mine on Amazon on the spot... but the improvement between the 1 & the 2 is huge, so if you've used an older system then you have no idea how good a Quest 2 is compared.

I bought it as I wanted a complete stand alone bit of kit that didn't need a gaming PC as well, but you can get a cable that will allow you to hook it up to a PC so you can play games that aren't on offer on the Quest & just use it as the headset. The only other thing I bought was a Chromecast so that I can stream the video game being played onto the TV, this is a great feature when you have mates around & you want to be able to see what the person playing is actually doing... but streaming to the TV does use up the battery a bit quicker so there is a trade off. There is an aftermarket 2nd battery you can get that is built into the head strap but I haven't felt the need for that yet. The bigger a playing space that is clear of furniture you have the better for the stand up games but you can get away with just enough space to swing your arms.

Another feature I use a lot is the multiplayer option in some of the games, I'll do a little review of my fave games below but one is a Zombie shooter called Drop Dead & it has a great multi player option, so I bought my brother back in Dublin a Quest 2 last year & now instead of facetiming to have a chat we can just jump into a Zombie game & shoot zombies whilst having a chat & a catch up.. it's great fun, you only see each others avatars & not real faces obviously but the voice quality is perfect.

I don't find the Quest bad for motion sickness I must say, except for two games that I have that really effect me, so I only play them in short bursts, but every game I have also has a comfort option that limits the feeling of movement & helps ease you into playing them. I have a healthy fear of falling from a great height & I have a few games where you need to climb & :D:D:D:D me do I sweat & my knees buckle... by the time the Quest 3 or 4 is out you won't be able to tell the difference between VR & reality.. there's probably a good movie or two in that plot...

Right.. games, I don't have any of the free ones anymore as they all tended to be a little crap, hence the price, some of the Star Wars games I have are near movie quality.. you'd swear you where in the movie. Now the elephant in the room for this Forum is the extreme lack of car games, this platform is best suited for stand up walking around & shooting :D:D:D:D games it seems & that's most of what I have. The Physic's engines in the games on this platform are awesome, if I'm firing a snipers rifle it really feels like it, the manual cocking of the bolt fools my brain into thinking I'm really holding one... I'm not 100% sure how they do it, it's probably something to do with Aliens is my guess.

If you don't have the Oculus app on your smart phone then get it now, go on I'll wait... you'll get notifications every now & then of % off sales, I always try & wait till I get a 25% or 30% off code thru the app before buying any new games... I expect a code or two over this coming black Friday sales period. There are some good YouTubers out there who do reviews of up coming games & I find that very useful for deciding if I want a game or not. So in no particular order my fave games so far are:

Drop Dead: Dual Strike Edition... This is a Zombie shooter that could be kid friendly as the Zombies are a little cartoonish in look so the game isn't too scary, mind you the first few time you turn around & see a zombies face an inch from yours you're a better man than me if you don't step back pretty quick. This game has a long story board campaign to be played but also has 5 arcade levels where the waves of zombies just keep coming.. great for nights with mates.. good selection of guns to use & throwing an Axe into a Zombies head is great fun.

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners.... This is NOT a kid friendly Zombie game... this one is dark, good story line to it. You have to go out & scavenge food & materials like metal & wood ect whilst playing out the game levels as you will run of stuff if you don't keep restocking & remaking weapons.. This one still has me jumping from time to time when the darkness is fractured for a second & there is Zombie two inches from my face.

Beat Saber.. Mrs_XB's fave game, you have a red lightsaber in one hand & a blue one in the other & red & blue boxes fly at you & you must slice them in half with the correct colour saber, it's a clever high impact training game, the music is a high beat style & the higher the levels go up the amount you need to move to play is unreal.. play it right & you'll be dripping in sweat after 30 minutes.

Red Matter... This was a game I loved so much that I would play the Quest until the battery ran flat & then sit staring at it whilst it charged rocking back & forth in withdrawal I love Sci-Fi stuff & this married a good Sci-Fi story with an escape room theme.. I never thought I'd like escape rooms but I loved this game. You have to explore an empty space station to figure out what went wrong & why it's empty.. but to get from one room to the next is often an engineering puzzle where say the airlock is broken so you have to figure out how it works, what bits are needed & then go find & install them.. I loved it & it took a few days to get thru the end... I didn't cheat & google any answers & one room I was in for HOURS... but I really hope they make a 2nd one.

The Room VR: A Dark Matter.... Same idea as Red Matter above but set in a Sherlock Holmes kinda theme, again I found it very addictive. Mrs_XB liked this more than Red Matter & we used the ChromeCast with this one often so I was playing but Mrs_XB could give ideas & help from the sofa watching what I was doing on the TV.

Vader Immortal Episode 1,2 & 3.... these games are interesting, all of the money went into the video quality.. it's like you are IN the Star Wars movie, but the games them selves can be finished in under an hour each which is a little sad, but each one has a training level where you use a lightsaber in the first game & you learn how to use the force in the 2 & 3 for throwing storm troopers/ rocks etc or pulling the gun out of their hands from across the room & then shooting them. Excellent games but over too soon.

Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's edge... the graphics are not as good as the Vader series but this game has much longer game play to make up for that.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew... I bought this as I loved the idea of getting to play on the bridge of the all the different Enterprises from the original 60's vers up... but the game is a little too complex to play on your own as you need to remember how each console works & keep jumping between them.. the game is really designed for 4 or 5 players to play together each with a set role.. I need to play it a bit more, but you are a big Star Trek fan it's good fun.

Warplanes: WWI Fighters... this is a game played sitting down, you fly WWI fighters... the clue was in the name really, it's good fun but this one does give me a little motion sickness so I only play it in short bursts... you can set the difficulty to arcade mode & in that mode you can't really crash or miss the targets so it's great for kids & for you when starting out.. when you ramp up the realism it gets to the point that you probably could fly an actual WWI fighter as it feels very real from a physic's perspective.

Phantom: Covert Ops.... this is also a sit down game, you are an elite sniper in a kayak & you have to make your way thru a Russian base to destroy targets without getting seen.. I really enjoyed this game but this one made me feel the worst motion sickness of any game, but it's like anything the more you play the less you feel it. Sneaking about with a snipers rifle in a kayak is actually good fun, shooting fire extinguishers or lights from meters away to distract guards so you can then shoot them in the back of the head.. fun stuff.

Zero Caliber: Reloaded... this is a first person shooter where you set yourself up with a selection of guns & then go fight enemy troops, the levels are good & the gun physics is great, I was really enjoying this one until I bought the game below & that's all I'm playing at the moment...

Sniper Elite VR.... This is the best game I've ever played for combining the story line, the graphics & the physics engine.. you're a member of the resistance during WWII & the story line takes you around killing Nazi's & blowing up their :D:D:D:D... the game rewards you more for using the sniper rifle & waiting it out for the perfect silent kill but you can just pick up a machine gun or grenade & go on a wild killing spree if you run out of patients or if dinner is getting cold on the table... at the end of each level you get awarded up to 3 stars depending on how you played that level & did you achieve specific tasks.. like kill 10 silently etc or kill 5 with explosives etc.. I'm now at a point in the game where new levels are only unlocked if you got enough of said stars in prior levels so now I'm having to go back & ace an old level to get 3 stars instead of the 1 I got first time around just so I can move forward... but even that part of the game I'm enjoying.

I have other games but the above are the ones that I found to be the best... there's a huge selection of games out there so you'll never get bored. Hope the above helped...
          Last edited by DaveD_XB; 25-11-2021, 01:25 AM.
          Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Comment

Not a mention of Half Life Alyx yet.

If you have a PC, buy a 5m link cable and play it. My favourite so far by a mile

Comment

I've been really interested in the Quest for a while and close to buying. Then I read the review (link below) that suggests they've done a lot of cost cutting on Quest 2 compared to Quest 1. Not sure what to do now. I'd live with some of them, but apparently the lens adjustment is a lot more coarse than Quest 1 and this could be leading to the dizziness?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...ext-vr-system/

Comment

I do think the issue with any sort of new tech like that is that yes, there will always be something better on the horizon.

The lens adjustment is pretty minor - there are three settings for eye wideness.
                Even at it's most pristine, you still know you are looking at graphics or streaming video.

I guess it's still in the 'early adopter' territory - I've a feeling they hope Quest 2 might be the unit that sends it mass market.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.irl View Post

If you have a PC, buy a 5m link cable and play it. My favourite so far by a mile
                  Seriously, I know development for VR games is way longer than normal FPS's or whatever so you don't get the same longevity out of a game purchase.
                  But my God Alyx was almost like a movie experience, honestly head and shoulders above anything else I've played on my Oculus so far, got lost in it for about a week
                  "750 hp, on a car that i presume still has leaf springs and no seatbelts?
                  I suppose if you want to go out like a man there is no better option" -hi-rev

Comment

Originally posted by dave.irl View Post

If it needs a PC to be played, then I'm probably not going to do it.. If they ever port it over so it's native to the Quest then I'll give it a go.
                    Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Comment

Just got one today........even the initial stuff is awesome!

Comment

This weekend's recommendation - SuperHot VR.

SuperHot was one of my favourite games of the past few years - a FPS where things only move as you move.
                        It was quite a tactical game - prioritising targets, shooting slightly ahead of enemies for the bullets to connect as you move. Very smart.

But the VR takes it to a whole other level. Now you can duck, lean, take cover, peek out, catch guns in mid air, duck and punch.

It is very much like you are taking part in a action movie, dual wielding machine-pistols, throwing ninja stars/bottles/ashtrays/knives. I was sweating with effort, as unlike the originals, this is now a hugely physical game where sometimes moving fast is the solution to the surrounding carnage.

Comment

Working...
                        X