Broadband Installation Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband Installation Questions

Hey Folks, just because I know there's alot of people on here that would be much more familiar with the process I'm looking for some advice and thoughts on broadband installation.

So I'm living near Roundwood in Wicklow, just moved to a new rented house and had sort of assumed that I'd be able to get sorted with a fixed wireless set up for broadband.
    It turns out that's not a runner as the only viable mast has some trees just blocking a solid signal.

Now next thought was to check out Eir for their offering but there's a slight problem, first off where we're staying there is a standard phone line but that's been moved to a new build next door. We could get a new line run in obviously but where we are is at the end of a long private driveway with a run of 320 -> 350 metres being required.
    There are electric gates on the public road and I'm pretty sure there's a duct that runs the 300-odd metres.
    Fibre does run on that road (house next door to the entrance has it installed) so it would be available at the gate.

My main question really is how does getting a cable run actually work? I presume if we're looking for fibre Eir would tell us to go away with such a long run. Would there be anyone else we could pay to run a line that Eir would be happy to use?
    The other obvious question is can I just run one myself? I wouldn't be able to terminate the ends obviously but if we had the raw fibre in place would they link up to it?

If we can't get fibre are Eir in anyway obligated to run a standard copper cable up to us?
    The other thing is that apparently there's is a standard 4 wire cable already in place, one pair is used for the existing line, the second pair is free, would Eir use them or would they require a standard 4 wire cable be run?

We're just about getting by with a 4G Huawei router at the moment, that was our fall back but even though it's getting a full signal it's still fluctuating from .2M to 3M so the sector's obviously at capacity.

Just some other options I was looking at, apparently standard satellite broadband is useless and it doesn't look like starlink's properly available in Ireland just yet.

Any thoughts extremely welcomed
    Last edited by turlock; 04-09-2021, 11:10 AM.
    "750 hp, on a car that i presume still has leaf springs and no seatbelts?
    I suppose if you want to go out like a man there is no better option" -hi-rev

Originally posted by turlock View Post
    It turns out that's not a runner as the only viable mast has some trees just blocking a solid signal.
    If you were really lucky, some completely random stranger could show up one day with a chainsaw and, without your knowledge, take the tops of whatever trees are blocking your signal? As long as you're not talking about a whole forest in the way, that could solve it?

Comment

Id say contact eir to see what they can and can't do for definite.

Also shouldn't the landlord be sorting this.

When you leave he/she gets fibre at your expense. I know a lot don't want to know. But its worth a shot.

Comment

In fairness to whoever the landlord is, unless they advertised the place as either having, or being capable of having, broadband, it's not really their responsibility.

Comment

True.
          But as a tenant I wouldn't be keen on forking out for big jobs like that for house that is not yours.

Just asked the mother there. Eir brought fibre down from the main road at the home place. Along a private passageway of about 500m, at no expense to us (still not connected to the actual house though )
          There is a old phone line that was buried in the 90s, and I think they followed that. I'll ask the aul lad for details later. He'll have more off an idea.

Comment

Hey Turlock. Worth trying WiFiber. Based in Delgany and provide a very good service around this area.

Comment

Haha yeah randomly shrinking tree’s idea did come to mind but hoping it doesn’t need to come to that 😂

Regarding the landlord it’s a long story but they’re completely supportive and it’s just trying to figure out the best solution as opposed to dumping them with it.

I’d sorta bet the house on Wifiber who we used in the last place (cheers Leo think you’d recommended them when I last asked!) but they’re saying they can’t get the clear sight so I’ve come with a new request to the landlord to find a solution.

Thanks for that info Johnny about the 500m run as that sounds exactly the same situation we’re in. There is a few cables being run through a pipe from the road so they could use that. I’m a Dub so any connection to the house only ever went a max of 10 metres before so wasn’t sure if they’d just laugh at the idea of running a line that far!

thanks a mill for the feedback so far, I’ll keep the thread updated as I go

obviously ideal goal would be gig fibre but in reality a stable 30mb connection would be plenty. Given there’s fibre on the road I’d assume the 300m copper run should give a solid connection (as opposed to a full copper run from a cabinet miles away type thing)

Comment

Regional Broadband and imagine should be in the area as well. No idea if they are any good, I’m with wifiber

Comment

Talking to the brother there as he lives at home.

The National broadband crowd brought it from the road down to nearest telephone pole to the house. Not Eir

Eir are then meant to connect from there to the house itself. Which still hasn't been done. I don't think our neighbors are actually connected either.

Comment

Originally posted by cibo View Post

If you were really lucky, some completely random stranger could show up one day with a chainsaw and, without your knowledge, take the tops of whatever trees are blocking your signal? As long as you're not talking about a whole forest in the way, that could solve it?
                    That happened to my brother-in-law. Some fuker took the tops off four trees at about 6am one morning. He got proper line of sight for his dishes then,
                    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

ha I'd say that sort of stuff happens more often than people think

Cheers for the suggestion of Imagine, I was onto them and they're coming out tomorrow, they're using the same tech as Wifiber so at least it's a second opinion type thing.
                      Honestly I wouldn't waste their time except that I've looked from my upstairs window and I've perfect line of sight to the tower so I'm wondering did Wifiber just put me off because that tower's at capacity :/

I'll let ye's know how it goes

Comment

So Imagine came out today as promised, first thing I did was point out the tower I thought was blocked and asked them what they thought, they then told me that they don't have anything on that tower so thought it was game over at that stage as I can't see any other towers.

I was hanging around the shed outside while they did a bit of a survey / testing and honestly it all just sounded bad, they kept moving around trying to find something but to my surprise one of the lads walked over and instead of telling me no joy he said they'd a decent signal so were going ahead with it.

About an hour later after a very tidy install this is the result

Coming from a week or so of 256kb -> 2.5Mb I'm delighted, honestly it sounds so sad but once you get used to fast internet it's hard to imagine living without it

Thanks everyone for the advice, as always backroads came through for me!!

Comment

Was trying to get siro installed with digiweb. Turns out the duct to my meter box is blocked......under footpath. So they won't go down the road opening licence route and I'm stuck with standard broadband....balls

Comment

One thing I did see when I was looking into all my options was that you can seem to pay independent contractors to help laying down trunc or running additional wires etc. Might be worth doing a bit of research and see if someone could help clear it for you. It'd be once off payment and probably well worth it in the long run if it was only a few hundred quid for proper fibre to be installed

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X