No announcement yet.

Console Wars 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a thing for redheads with an attitude, so that might be my thing.
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

• Speaking of Control, I bought it off Amazon but then decided I'd buy it on Steam instead. By the time I decided to try cancel on Amazon it was gone too far in shipping process and when it arrived they refunded the money (Amazon voucher) and I didn't need to return it. If I wanted cash I'd need to return but I'll spend the voucher anyway.

So does anyone want a free copy of Control Ultimate Edition for the PS5? hi-rev did you buy it yet?

Comment

• Sure, I'll grab it. But you will have to post it, for which I will pay
        "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..

Comment

• Originally posted by hi-rev View Post
          Sure, I'll grab it. But you will have to post it, for which I will pay
          Don't worry about it, I've a pile of courier labels on my business account so I'll just send it out using those.

PM your name and address and I'll get it posted out tomorrow

Comment

• Haha, nice.
            I sent you a PM

Comment

• Just ordered my Steam Deck - the order window opened up even quicker than expected. When I reserved one first about a month ago, it looked like Jan 2023, then the window dropped to Oct/Dec 2022 but I was actually able to order yesterday. What the lead time for order to delivery is I don't know, but I kinda wish the other console makers just sold their consoles this way instead of a mad rush.

I guess it helps Valve have no ties with traditional retail channels like Sony/MS/Nintendo of course, but this sort of system would cut down so much scalping.
              https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• Originally posted by crank_case View Post
                Just ordered my Steam Deck -
                That's interesting, I always presumed that you have a huge gaming PC.

I was thinking of the Steam Deck as sort of gateway for console users into PC gaming/buying from Steam.

Be interested to hear what you make of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by VeeAte View Post

That's interesting, I always presumed that you have a huge gaming PC.

Nah, I have a decent enough modern desktop that can run games, but I didn't buy it primarily for games. I prefer dedicated gaming machines where everything is meant to run on that platform. My PC is used for browsing, and mucking about with VMs or subsystem for Linux. I always end up with software that will compromise a high performance experience. The stuff I do play on PC tends to be undemanding strategy/puzzle games or the odd retro boomer shooter and not the cutting edge stuff. Gaming PCs always feel more hassle than they're worth.

Steam Deck is a sort of halfway house. It runs steam OS (Valves game oriented version of linux) rather than Windows for starters so there's less overhead, and there are certififed for steam deck games that are guaranteed to run properly just like PS and Xbox. There's games that are certified to at least run, but not fully tested and certified and then there's the rest.

Stay in the fully certified catalog and you'll have console-esque experience, stray outside that and it your experience may vary, but thanks to a games oriented OS and other clever things, it makes the most out of what it has so a lot of games apparently run quite well on it, while struggling on even fairly hefty regular PCs.

You can also install mods for games in a lot of cases, so another "best of both worlds" type things.

I suspect if I get mods for Stardew Valley working on it, my wife will nab it and I'll not see it again, but I'm ok with that. I'll have to "console" (sorry..) myself with the PS5, Xbox series X and Nintendo Switch...

She started playing Stardew Valley on the Switch after getting annoyed by some of the more tedious aspects of Animal Crossing, because Nintendo gonna Nintendo (oh and let us turn off music in 2022 in your first party games, they're boopy little tunes, not high art), but found the time constraints in the standard game took away from the whole "casual relaxing" thing. That's easily solved by some mods on PC, but she doesn't like the clunkiness of even a featherlight laptop. The switch is nice and portable but no mods... so she ends up playing neither.

For me, there's a couple of PC titles that'll never come to console like BeamNG drive.

I can't say it's an entirely justifiable purchase, but want shiny thing...

Comment

• How much was it?
                    I cannot see any prices "in my country" as Steam puts it.

Comment

• Originally posted by hi-rev View Post
                      How much was it?
                      I cannot see any prices "in my country" as Steam puts it.
                      You in Ireland or elsewhere? I went for the top model ​

Comment

• OK, but how much was it!
                        No, I am not in Ireland anymore... I need to make a post about cars...

Comment

• Is the image of the Steam store not showing up for you? Top model is €679 with the 512GB NVMe SSD. The 265 GB NVMe SSD version is €549 and the 64GB eMMC version is €419

Storage can be added via MicroSD (You can get 1TB ones these days), external USB if you don't mind the clunkiness of that on a portable device or just upgrade the internal M.2 drive with one of the correct spec.

Comment

• Auch!
                            OK, that is a price alright. I can understand its new & powerful device, but still. I'll wait a bit.

Yeah, on my steam, it just says "not available in your country" when I try to click on more details. Oh well, PS5 is good enough.

Comment

• It's not that powerful, it's roughly equivalent to an Xbox Series S, though that is a lot of power in a portable device. A Switch is nowhere near as powerful and still runs some pretty decent stuff. It's not directly comparable of course, but you can pretty much spend Steam Deck money on a gaming PC graphics card and still not be top of the pile.

Comment

• I think to absolutely no-ones surprise, Google stadia is finally officially dead.

https://blog.google/products/stadia/...ming-strategy/

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X