Console Wars 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Monza View Post
    I've about 12 hours of flying under my belt in Flight Sim on the Series X. I have to say it's really enjoyable. The Xbox controller works surprisingly well in it's default settings. The mouse helps navigate cockpit view freely and also to interact with specific functions - autopilot etc. I've hardly been using my Thrustmaster HOTAS one joystick - but that also works really well.

I found my house in Dublin - and my parent's house down the country! I also recently flew the Tioga Pass Road in Yosemite National Park - a route I drove a number of years ago. It is as impressive looking in the game as it is in real life.
    Not bad going...I've only around 12hrs on the PC since release day!

Comment

• Originally posted by GeeTI View Post

Not bad going...I've only around 12hrs on the PC since release day!
      Yeah, there's not much getting done around the house after the working day is over

Comment

• You can finally add more internal storage to your Ps5

The PS5 SSD bay is now open to all - here are the top sticks available | GamesRadar+

..but it's very pricey as you're talking high performance M.2 SSDs with heatsinks. It doesn't seem worth it yet for two reasons, one positive, one negative.

Positive - the PS5 internal SSD uses its space very efficiently.

Negative - there just aren't a lot of interesting PS5 games out, so you just have no need for the space yet.
        https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• Waiting for VRR support…

Comment

• VR will not come for the PS5 this year.

How are the (car) games on the PS5?
            I know the Gran Turismo will not come out anytime soon. Asseto Corsa? Project Cars?
            "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
            "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by hi-rev View Post
              VR will not come for the PS5 this year.

How are the (car) games on the PS5?
              I know the Gran Turismo will not come out anytime soon. Asseto Corsa? Project Cars?
              I made the same mistake, VRR is variable refresh rate, not VR.

VR is available on PS5 - A PS4 PSVR unit works with PS5 but requires the use of PS4 controllers. Also, PS5 games don't support VR natively, but there's still a big catalogue of PS4 VR games with new ones being developed. I still think it may be worth waiting for a dedicated PS5 unit, though we probably won't be able to buy that for months when it does come out...

Pretty much all the same non-exclusive driving games are available on PS5 - Assetto Corsa and Competizione, Project Cars 1/2/3, Wreckfest, Dirt Rally 2.0, Dirt 4 and 5, Snowrunner, etc. but GT Sport is the highlight really. It's a completely different game now compared to the barebones original release. Over 300 cars and a decently substantial single player campaign.

Also, while not exactly a realistic racing game, Wipeout is still as awesome as it always was. I just want Nintendo to get their finger out their bum and either give us a new F-Zero game or at the very lease, a remastered version of the N64 and Wii U F-Zero games on Switch.
              Last edited by crank_case; 18-09-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by crank_case View Post

VR is available on PS5 - A PS4 PSVR unit works with PS5 but requires the use of PS4 controllers. Also, PS5 games don't support VR natively, but there's still a big catalogue of PS4 VR games with new ones being developed. I still think it may be worth waiting for a dedicated PS5 unit, though we probably won't be able to buy that for months when it does come out...

Pretty much all the same non-exclusive driving games are available on PS5 - Assetto Corsa and Competizione, Project Cars 1/2/3, Wreckfest, Dirt Rally 2.0, Dirt 4 and 5, Snowrunner, etc. but GT Sport is the highlight really. It's a completely different game now compared to the barebones original release. Over 300 cars and a decently substantial single player campaign.

Also, while not exactly a realistic racing game, Wipeout is still as awesome as it always was. I just want Nintendo to get their finger out their bum and either give us a new F-Zero game or at the very lease, a remastered version of the N64 and Wii U F-Zero games on Switch.
                +1 for WipeOut and Nintendo finally getting around making a F-Zero game again...

Also, GT Sport just got better with age and is arguably the go-to racing game on the PS5, even though it's a PS4 game. You will be hard pressed finding a better looking and equally polished and cared for racer on the PS5. The support for GT Sport has been exceptional. You'll be in for a treat getting it now.

Comment

Ah! doh!

Cheers lads. Even though the PC is king of gaming, much positive is also to be said of couch gaming, hence I am considering a PS5.
                  "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
                  "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

• I'm waiting for a dedicated PS5 VR setup too, I can't handle the mess of cables that the PS4 VR setup uses so I hope that they manage to go as wireless as possible!

Comment

• It's funny how the previous console war titans have made nice now. N64 and Sega Megadrive Games are coming to the Nintendo Switch Online Service.

N64 and Sega Genesis games come to Switch Online, but will likely cost more - Polygon

Comment

• Sega has to be nice to everyone now they don't have their own platform. Poor Dreamcast. I have two of them somewhere, it was a nice console but PS2 simply kicked it to death - I remember they had an Xmas bundle of a Dreamast + standalone DVD player to compete.

I still think Nintendo are the best 'fit' for Sega - I was playing some of the Yakuza games via Game Pass, they had that unique Japanese sensibility which would feel more natural on a Switch.

Comment

• Originally posted by VeeAte View Post
                          Sega has to be nice to everyone now they don't have their own platform. Poor Dreamcast. I have two of them somewhere, it was a nice console but PS2 simply kicked it to death - I remember they had an Xmas bundle of a Dreamast + standalone DVD player to compete.

I still think Nintendo are the best 'fit' for Sega - I was playing some of the Yakuza games via Game Pass, they had that unique Japanese sensibility which would feel more natural on a Switch.
                          The Yakuza games are...weird. Kinda got some funny moments, but I could never get into them, I don't have the patience.

There's some things in very "Japanese" games that test my patience at times. I was playing Scarlet Nexus for example, and like a lot of Japanese games, there's just endless cutscene dialog and about four relationship subplots and none of it coherent, I'm sure some of it gets lost in translation but still. ..where if you compared it to the ethos of western action games (like say DOOM as the most extreme example), the plot is often "here are the bad guys you need to kill, BECAUSE REASONS!" ...western games have been getting heavier on the incomprehensible lore thing too of late though (looking at you Destiny..)

Anyway, I'm struggling to think of many Master System / Genesis games I'm dying to play again, though weirdly there are Sega Master System (now we're going back..) games I'd love to play again, at least for the nostalgia buzz, like Outrun Europa. I didn't have a Master System as a kid, but a friend did and when staying over, we'd play it til stupid o'clock in the morning in the days before save games were really a thing and you had to try get through the whole thing from beginning to end.

Despite the name/branding, this Outrun sequel wasn't developed by Sega, and it featured a different vehicle each level as you cross Europe. You'd start in a Porsche in the UK, get on a Jet Ski to cross the channel, then change to a different car, a motorcycle, etc.

The Dreamcast was cool alright, the little tamagotchi memory cards in the controllers were clever, but I have a slightly tin foil hat theory that the game was already up for Sega after the Saturn launch. I reckon the Dreamcast, which lets not forget, ran on windows CE was really a test run for the first Xbox.

Really hope the bring F-Zero X to the switch. Really miss that game, pure speed and a huge grid of opponents that you don't even see on modern consoles.

Comment

The Dreamcast was cool alright, the little tamagotchi memory cards in the controllers were clever, but I have a slightly tin foil hat theory that the game was already up for Sega after the Saturn launch. I reckon the Dreamcast, which lets not forget, ran on windows CE was really a test run for the first Xbox.s.
                            I'm not so sure... Saturn was certainly a case of them backing the wrong horse - it offered more of the same, sprite graphics with scaling. Like a next gen Megadrive. Whereas the first Playstation was all about the 3D and polygons - which led to a lot of first person/third person titles, a very different style to the flat 2D sprites the Saturn was designed to chuck about.

The Saturn did rally a little - Tomb Raider launched on the system - and it could push polygons to an extent. But it was designed as a sprite system. So a lot of third party developers started abandoning it - too much effort required to get results from the hardware.

The Dreamcast took it's inspiration from Sega Aracade boards, stuff that was running Crazy Taxi, Virtual Fighters - which would put it equal to Playstation as a 3D machine. But at that point the hip image of Sega had been totally supplanted by Playstation.

Comment

• Wasn't the Dreamcast ridiculously easy to pirate also? I had one briefly at one point but I didn't get much use out of it, I was all about PS2 at the time.
                              Comic Sans, the choice of the professional.

Comment

• Originally posted by zero86r View Post
                                Wasn't the Dreamcast ridiculously easy to pirate also?
                                Could well have been, as the arcade hardware and software it was based on would always have been safely locked in a cabinet beside the money it was making!

Ferarri 355 Challenge was a great racing game on Dreamcast, but it was much more like an arcade game with one type of (unmodifiable) car and four tracks compared to Gran Turisimo which had 140 completely modifiable cars and 11 circuits to race them on.

Comment

Working...
                                X