Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Console Wars 2020

I've only started this thread to gloat.

Picking up my Xbox Series X tomorrow morning from Smyths.

First step will be to sign up for Gamepass Ultimate and see what is available. I am only really interested in 2 games, and that's the new Halo which is a few months away yet and Forza Motorsport which again will be a 2021 release. Forza Horizon has been upgraded to 4k/60fps for the X so I might run with that in the meantime, also Jedi Fallen Order should keep me occupied.

Chatting to the lad in Smyths when placing my pre-order and he tells me the PS5 is outselling the Xbox 5 to 1. He also rekons the age profile of the buyers could not be more different. Teenagers are buying PS5's. Non-gaming Dads are buying PS5's for their kids. Middle aged nerds are buying X-Boxes.

Excited! Haven't bought a new console since the 360, in fact haven't purchased any of the current crop of PS4/Xbox One...apart from the Switch of course but in my head that does not really count as a 'console'.

How does gamepass differ from an xbox live subscription? Is it a new service on top or is it replacing live?

Nearly all my sons friends (13/14) have xboxs, only 2 have ps4s. Not sure how the ps5 is selling out the series x like that given both totally sold out on pre order.

I havent heard anything bout when the x i ordered will arrive, id kinda forgotten about it tbh.

Comment

Live just lets you play multiplayer and gets you a free game every month.

Gamepass is described as 'Netflix for Games' and gets you access to tons of titles, for example the new Halo will be available free for Gamepass Ultimate holders on release day. Also gets you access to EA Play's game library. You might never need to shell out to buy a game again. MS are really pushing this model.

My Smyths man is basing it on the speed at which the pre-orders sold out. He reckons the PS5 ones were gone in an instant...the Xbox ones took much longer to sell out.

Comment

Thinking of getting the PS5 but can't even order one at the moment.. what's all that about? Does anyone know when they will be available?

Comment

I play a lot of games myself and want to get the little lad one for Christmas but it looks like that's not gonna happen. January at best i'd say. He is happy to get a razer keyboard and mouse and a new scuff controller. His PC is better spec'd than a ps5 anyway but all his mates only have Playstation's and he finds it handier to talk to them on the playstation party side of it.

Just as we are talking about it if anyone has info here on early stock or that i'm all ears or if I find out something i'll post the same,

Thanks,
          Paul.

Comment

I have my ps5 preordered with smyths will be home delivery hopefully no delays with it!

Comment

Originally posted by mikerd4 View Post
              How does gamepass differ.
              Xbox live = multiplayer
              Gamepass = netflix for games
              Gamepass ultimate = XBox Live + Gamepass + EA Play + Gamepass games on PC + Game streaming on android (similar to stadio)

Still on the fence as to which side of the console wars I'll come down on, a lot depends on if the next Gran Turismo is better than the next Forza, which given the downward trajectory of Forza lately, is entirely possible. Might even end up with both, but the real killer isn't two consoles its that stuff like wheels don't work across both which is infuriating. There's a fanatec yoke that sort of works on both but still involves a bit of swapping parts and stuff.
              https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

I have been out of the whole console scene for a while now.

How much does something like Xbox Live and the other variations cost?

Presumably you will need a pretty good high speed broadband to get the full benefit of
                everything they offer.
                Living out in the sticks like me won't make it too easy.

Comment

€12.99 for Game Pass Ultimate which is pretty decent given you get access to quite a wide library of stuff, €1 trial for the first month.

As for broadband - as long as you can get some sort of half decent fixed broadband without download caps (like you would on some 3/4/5G plans), then it's worth trying out.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerd4 View Post
                    Not sure how the ps5 is selling out the series x like that given both totally sold out on pre order.
                    higher production numbers, and remember MS actually has two next gen consoles which is where it gets confusing - Xbox Series X and Series S. Series S will play the same games but at 1440p instead of 4K and will be considerably cheaper.

My big gripe with both PS5 and the Xboxes is the pathetic internal storage they all have and expanding that storage won't be cheap, especially with the NVMe storage for Xboxes. Kinda feels like the early days of Xbox 360 when they came with 1GB or something stupid but then later in the consoles life you could get 256GB versions. Games are nutso big these days with constant updates and both consoles have very little useable internal storage. Both claim 1TB-ish, but you're left with 680GB on the PS5 and 820-ish on the Xbox. I may hold out to see how the storage situation goes. I've never bought a console on launch day, don't see the point of being a beta tester.
                    Last edited by crank_case; 10-11-2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm holding fire on which to go for next - will probably leave it till next year to act.

Currently, I'm using Xbox One. And while probably 80% of my playtime is Destiny 2 (which is currently chugging through a 65GB update downstairs), I love the Game Pass - it encourages you to have a go at different types of game and genres, I've downloaded plenty since getting it, and would highly recommend.

(The other joy of Game Pass is that anything you have downloaded can be re-downloaded, so you can erase and make space and always reinstall)

At this stage in the console wars, exclusives and first party games are getting more rare (not including the Switch in this - Nintendo is the Disney/Pixar of gaming).
                      Now it seem more common for multi platform games to offer exclusive content for different consoles.

And as for broadband concerns - downloading is not an issue, but online live play could suffer if you're a poor ping rate.

Comment

Love gamepass too

Have a series x to pick up this evening

Comment

Originally posted by Titan View Post
                          I have been out of the whole console scene for a while now.

How much does something like Xbox Live and the other variations cost?

Presumably you will need a pretty good high speed broadband to get the full benefit of
                          everything they offer.
                          Living out in the sticks like me won't make it too easy.
                          What's your connection like? I'm not a regular gamer, but do play during the winter months when I'm indoors more often.

I've been using GE Force Now from NVIDIA since April 2015 and use it for PC games. The catalogue is plentiful, and it also links to your Steam library so any games you own on Steam can be played through GE Force Now. The good news is GFN will now run on any platform or device, even in a simple web browser on the humblest of machines. To coincide with going multi platform and it's rebranding this year you can get a monthly sub for 4.99 currently on a promo offer. I think it's usually 8.99 or something like that. I only use it for a few months and then stop when the weather improves. All you need is a controller (or keyboard and mouse if you prefer) and a device which connects to the web. No sunk costs in consoles, and once you connect you are running on the equivalent of a high end gaming machine each and every time - so no aging of hardware or upgrade cycles to worry about.
                          Suits my seasonal/casual gaming perfectly. Might suit you too if you're like me and not overly invested in it as a hobby.
                          Last edited by deltona; 10-11-2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I just got the email from smyths saying my PS5 is going to be delivered on launch day. Excited to see the new controller that everyone’s been raving about and playing Demons souls which I missed out on before. And of course see the way better load times, they really have been a pain for years now.

This will be the third generation in a row where I’ve managed to get a console at or very near launch, I don’t see much point in waiting a year or two if you know the games you want to play are coming. (Usually consoles don’t have disastrous hardware problems like the early 360s).

I’m no expert but, specs wise, these two consoles seem more closely matched than the previous two generations so it’s going to be up to the games to differentiate them. In my opinion, Xbox dropped the ball with big exclusive games, in comparison to the competition, ten or eleven years ago but have started making big efforts to fix that in the last year or two. If they go ahead and keep all Bethesda games away from the PS5, I may end up buying an Xbox too.

Comment

It's also a more incremental upgrade than many a previous console generation - even though the hardware is more powerful, I'm not seeing that defining "next generation" game yet like you'd have seen in previous console generations. Much is even focused on existing games like Destiny 2, Warframe, Borderlands 3, Fortnite etc. carrying over to next gen with some enhancements rather than new titles. It always takes a while for devs to extract the full potential from the hardware (e.g. look at the leaps made in the life of the original Playstation, compare Ridge Racer with Gran Turismo which arrived relatively late in that consoles life), but there's not such a clear division between generations this time, especially when the Xbox and PS both got upgraded versions during their lifecycles (Xbox one X and PS4 Pro).

For me, it's about the games really as said - I'm waiting til the next Gran Turismo drops and my decision mainly pivots around GT vs. Forza really. I'd love to to see the GT series get its mojo back.

MS is definitely trying to make up the deficit of exclusive/first party titles. I suspect they might not keep all Bethesda games away from PS5, but they might delay releasing them. If you look at MS history, they've always been happy to release software on a competing platform if they can make money - like Office on the Mac.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X