No announcement yet.

Project Reasonably Swift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boris, I've some thin carbon fibre sheet here, if you want me to post you an A4 size piece, to put around the timer, and over the buttons. It follows a gentle curve nicely.
    www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Ok time to ask for some help.

Screenshot 2022-05-13 200704 by , on Flickr

Here is a snippet from the work shop manual. Note the item higlighted in green. My tops dont have the out marking. Typically I didn't take note of their positions when removing or fully read the manual before hand. Any way I reassembled the first side and used a hole in the top as the out marking and it appeared to line up with indentation from the end of the spring. Then when doing the otherside my assumption may be wrong because the hole wasn't in the position where i assembled the left hand side. Now the curve ball is the RHS had a broken spring and 2 witness marks on the top cover from the end of the spring. So is it possible it could have rotated?

Do you think the image on the right where I've marked the angles with red line would be a good indication of the final position. IF the top is rotated the the angles will change.

I hope that makes sense.
      https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

Comment

I wouldn't like to give a yes/no answer as I'm nowhere near qualified for that (although I know many on here are) but I wonder:

Is it safe to assume that either side was installed correctly beforehand? As in, has either spring been replaced before? If so, do you know/trust the last person who was at it to have been as meticulous as you are? (Side note-mega respect for your attention to detail, an unfortunately rare trait!)

Also, I read that a few times to get my head around it. Does it suggest that 'OUT' on UPPER seat should line up with end of spring/bracket OR is it that 'OUT' on spring seat should line up with something on the upper seat and the bracket at the bottom?

As in should the 'OUT' be on the spring seat or the upper seat? Have I misunderstood or are there two things you put on top of the spring?

Comment

Thinking about it further all I need to do is seat the spring on the bottom mount and then align the angle of the top cap to spring. I was. Concerned the angle of the top cap was going to affect the alignment of the shock but it doesn’t it’s controlled by the shock bearing.

Aontroim the out is to align with the centre line of the mounting to the knuckle
          Last edited by Boris; 14-05-2022, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Ah good man, glad you got sorted!

I'd only be familiar with strut tops with 3 bolts or obvious asymmetry which make it impossible to install incorrectly.

Again, fair play for the attention to detail, good on you sir!

Comment

Finally all the springs are in. I was always told RTFM, read the f'ing manual. From now on I'm going to change that to RTFMP, read the F'ing manual Properly. I had to re do one side as I installed the bearing in correctly. Not a big deal in reality as I can now do a complet spring change in less than half an hour.

All in all a fairly straight froward job, the bigggest pain was getting rusty cruddy bolts out. The fallout being one lost to damaged threads and one sheared.

Took a bit of effort to get these guys moving
              IMG_2251

Fire fixes everything
              IMG_2256

Out with the old
              IMG_2258

Can't beat the right tools
              IMG_2271

IMG_2272

Undoing my good work
              IMG_2273

Turns out I also had a broken spring on one side.
              IMG_2282

Shiny and new
              IMG_2301

Not sure if its any lower.
              IMG_2310

Comment

Good work! I love them spring compressors, must invest in some. The ride height usually takes a couple days to settle down after changing springs, so it will probably end up a little lower after a drive

Comment

Looks great but yeah, I'd say it'll look even better in a day or two.

How do you find the handling now with new springs and no snapped coils?

Always frustrating when you're fighting snapped/seized bolts but I always find it satisfying to know that if I ever needed to do it again, the groundwork is done and it should come apart much easier.

As you say, knowing how to do a specific job is handy too because you've no problem if you ever decided to change again etc.

Loving this project.

Comment

Radio V2 thanks to Tristan for the CF

67448758761__4097AAB1-B536-4B6E-9341-021392AA605D

67448760099__70F1BB4E-1391-42AF-8DCB-84D8A980AF33

Also got the car weighed it is 1080kg

Comment

No worries M. Worked out nicely.
                      www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X