This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one of these for my spanners,
    Small, medium , large , swan necks and files in the bottom.
    I stole it from the office a few years ago

Bisley make nice cabinets with thick solid worktops and they are always on adverts/donedeal.
    eg https://www.adverts.ie/office-cabine...isley/25794928

574387.jpg

I

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosixfour View Post
      I'll come back to this when I have a feckin' shed.

Then I can move all my bad ideas under one roof.
      Groundwork commenced at 8 this morning.

New shed being delivered about the 2nd of February.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckfastMan View Post
        I have one of these for my spanners,
        Small, medium , large , swan necks and files in the bottom.
        I stole it from the office a few years ago

Bisley make nice cabinets with thick solid worktops and they are always on adverts/donedeal.
        eg https://www.adverts.ie/office-cabine...isley/25794928

574387.jpg

I
        I have two of those, taller versions for lots of small stuff. great yokes.

I've a lot of office furniture on the go. have a miniature 4 drawer filing cabinet underneath my welder for consuables and some big cabinets with drawers in the bottom and shelves up top.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosixfour View Post

Groundwork commenced at 8 this morning.

New shed being delivered about the 2nd of February.
          Nice, steel shed? How many bikes can it hold?

Comment

Originally posted by TuneR View Post

Nice, steel shed? How many bikes can it hold?
            Yep, 8.2m x 4m, 40mm insulated steel shed from Shanette.

It'll hold all the bikes Ger.

ALL the bikes!

Comment

I was having a bit of a tool tidy up in the shed & I'm on the fence now as to do I get another tool box or not.... I think I can still get another of the long chrome drawered one you see here on the right

IMG_0125.JPG

Now my mate thinks I'm a dickhead... fair enough can't argue with his logic on that, but in this specific case he thinks I am as I have these tool boxes sorted out where the tools are laid out neatly see below for an example of the cordless stuff.

IMG_0124.JPG

He thinks that I should just pile them all on top of each other, same goes for the drawers of sockets & spanners etc... so the question is, am I some sort of OCD freak because I want the tools all laid out in a single clear layer so that I don't ever have to rummage around in a drawer for half a day to find something I know I have somewhere.

Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Comment

Wooo that is neat! That is alot of Makita gear! That is a glimse of a very cool garage! How big is that garage?!
                We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

I agree with your mate, they are the wrong colour to be getting upset about.

In all fairness though it’s nice when you spend a few quid on good tools to have them laid out nicely so that you can get at them and so they don’t get damaged.
                  Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

I agree with you - one layer for the tools rather than piling them on top of each other. I used to keep all my screwdrivers on the top drawer of one of my toolboxes. Had lots of duplicates, phillips in one section, ordinary blade in another section. etc. Rummaging for the one I wanted started to piss me off, and I also realised that I only ever really used the same few of each type, so I gave a load of them away to a friend of mine Now it feels so much better to open the drawer & see only one layer of screwdrivers and see instantly which one I need.

Comment

Originally posted by markcro View Post
                      Wooo that is neat! That is alot of Makita gear! That is a glimse of a very cool garage! How big is that garage?!
                      On the Makita bit, once any brand have you locked in the battery's & charger you're locked in..

The shed is 14M across & 10M deep & the roof is 4m at the lowest point... it used to look big when it was empty..

XB276.jpg

But never in the history of mankind has a shed ever been big enough... you just fill em. The hoist side is the working side as it where

Shed.jpg

The other side is shelving & parking for now.. a lot of the stuff on the shelves is the suspension & brakes for the Dodge so I'll get a lot of that space back one day & a lot of the stuff sitting against the walls can he put away much neater

IMG_0050.JPG

I do think that I might get another 4 post hoist in the future just for car stacking so I can have all theses cars & the Bullitt in the one shed

XB267.jpg

I'll also be finishing the insulation job this year & as we're currently on our 7th or 8th day in the high 30's which means the shed is in the high 40's/low 50's during the day.. AC is getting installed... I'm too old & soft to be working whilst dripping sweat I've decided.
                      Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD_XB View Post
                        Now my mate thinks I'm a dickhead... fair enough can't argue with his logic on that, but in this specific case he thinks I am as I have these tool boxes sorted out where the tools are laid out neatly see below for an example of the cordless stuff.
                        He thinks that I should just pile them all on top of each other, same goes for the drawers of sockets & spanners etc... so the question is, am I some sort of OCD freak because I want the tools all laid out in a single clear layer so that I don't ever have to rummage around in a drawer for half a day to find something I know I have somewhere
                        Definitely dont agree with your mate, i should post a pic of my Dads garage of which there is barely space to walk through so he built a lean-to shed as well for more space and thats just as crowded/disorganised now. Its an extreme example but essentially in his garage/shed you spend more time looking for tools than doing the work which annoys me way too much. Going straight to a toolbox/wall with needed tool is just so much better/easier so you can spend more time effing/blinding at how long this "small job" on the car/bike is taking.

Also feel free to post more pics of drawers, i like to get ideas on how to sort stuff.

Comment

Lads, order is a beautiful thing, chaos is not.
                          Still getting there in my shed space
                          2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
                          2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
                          2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
                          1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
                          1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Roarsbaby View Post
                            Lads, order is a beautiful thing, chaos is not.
                            Still getting there in my shed space
                            For sure.
                            I can see myself putting an order in to Rackzone.ie for a bunch of shelves and storage bins.

And i also need to Foam out my toolbox.
                            It's a thing of joy to see it done properly. I'd actually pay a little bit more for a toolkit of sockets or spanners if they came "pre foamed".
                            www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

My shed is a disgrace when it comes to tidiness... I procrastinated about getting shelves for years, but continued buy and hoard parts to the extend where I have a number of large piles of random car parts in a few spots in the shed (along with 9 cars in there currently). I dont' even have a bench! I bought steel to make shelfs about 4 years ago, and finally started making them this time last year. Turns out, it was only enough shelving for half of one pile . More steel got before Xmas and all cut up ready to weld to increase my shelving 5 fold! That along with a couple tyre/wheel racks, and a bench should finally get me on the way to recovery...

I work between this shed, a shed I rent in Cork (much tidier), and a tiny garage on the end of the house I'm renting, so tool-wise I'm pretty organized as most of it comes around with me in the back of the jeep anywhere I go. There are a selection of tools that stay in each shed as I'd need a lorry to bring everything

Comment

Smithy if you're hauling that lot full time put in some sort of crash guard/bulkhead to give you a chance of not getting killed by your welder in a crash.

I think tool storage should be a balance. foamed out drawers are cool but mad inefficient space wise. if you have the space and the money for lots of toolboxes (or not many tools) then have at it. I'd like my spanners and screwdrivers to not be loose in a drawer, but cordless tools I think can cope with a bit of pileup. it's not like there's any cords to get tangled.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X