Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This little job is from last summer, but it’s the last decent job that’s gone on in or outside my shed. Managed to get our own place in 2020 and got lucky to get a place with a garage. Every garage needs a work bench….

I previously made a bench for my fathers garage. I like steel because I can weld. I’m not really any good at timber. I ordered the steel through my friend in Quinn precision, gave him the lengths I needed and he cut them on the bandsaw. This made it really easy to butt the pieces up to one another for welding and keeping everything square.

Pieces prepped with the flap wheel.

Bench top tacked together

I found these little levelling legs online which can be bolted to the ground. Even though everything was cut perfectly there was still some slight pull during the welding and the the 4 legs weren’t all touching the ground. Still better than some of my previous attempts. The last bench I made was so out of plumb that I ended cutting two legs off and just hilti bolting it to the wall.

The same website sold these little square blanks also which tidied up the open box section.

I wanted a hardwood top which would last for years. There was no oak butcher block left in the builders providers. Anyone who’s tried to buy stuff for a house in the last two years will know the story, “yeah we might have it back in next week” so I saw this other teak worktop. It was double the price but I have enough left to do my utility room when the time comes. I think it’s actually iroko, maybe someone who knows more about timbers will know.

After a full bottle of teak oil it looked like this.

I had found a vice in a shed I was renting that was in poor condition. Made a deal with the guy I was renting off and got this old record.

It was fairly well seized so after watching one too many vice restoration videos on YouTube I thought I would have a go myself.

I took it all apart and wire wheeled the whole vice and sanded all of the sliding faces with various bits of sandpaper.

I also used some wax on the sliding faces to prevent rust and to give it some lubrication. The wax was just some old Collinite I used to use on the car before ceramic coatings and sprays took over.

I put it all back together and decided to leav off painting it. It worked fine and I was happy with how it looked.

The finished bench and vice.

The last job for this is to move it to the back of the garage and bolt it to the floor because it has a tendency to tip over if there is something heavy in the vice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

Nice work.
      www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

I'm on a mission to tidy my shed at the moment after having sold the S124's and freeing up a bit of space. Got some double depth shelving free from work as it was being dumped / recycled. Split this into single depth so that I could set it into the depth between the shed uprights. Modified the shelving so that one leg was on the ground and the shed wooden cross beams (don't know the correct names for these) was supporting the inside.
        image_17210.jpg

image_17211.jpg

Still looks untidy in the pics though. My new mission is to make sure there is no floor space being taken up by storage.

Also as I move stuff around I'm cleaning stuff up. Have a terrible habit of building steel stuff and never painting it. Built this tubing bender from plans years ago so there was a coating of surface rust on it. Used what paint I had on hand and decided to go a bit multi coloured on it

IMG_20220113_212151.jpg
        Last edited by Gn3dr; 15-01-2022, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey Bear View Post
          Very nice job. I am going to have to put some cross bracing on my work bench as there is quite a lot of quiver if working on something laterally. I thought the heavy beams would prevent that but apparently not.

Pictures from my thread on it.
          http://www.backroads.ie/forum/car-re...rage-workbench
          Last edited by Alfaguy; 15-01-2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan View Post

More info needed! Anything with Satchell on it gets my attention
            Ya, just picked it up a few months before Xmas and got some time to fit it, it was a bit tricky to fit as the 106 isn't the biggest car to get around but it's a really well engineered shifter that raises the height of the gear knob and gets it closer to the steering wheel with a more positive feel while changing gears, it's a full replacement for the original gear linkage system. I'll get some more pictures for you
            as Marcus Gronholm once said "up the arse of timo".....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQhQSbe6fw

Comment

Here's some
              Attached Files
              as Marcus Gronholm once said "up the arse of timo".....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQhQSbe6fw

Comment

Sweet as.
                www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Alfaguy you'll need some diagonal braces there alright. Looks a nice bench though.
                  My current car project which is completely stalled is to change power steering line on the 9-5 as it has a pinhole leak.
                  There's a junction for the line which needs to be repaired/replaced but I cannot get it undone.

One side is a 17 and the flats have started rounding, I'll need to source a 17mm flared spanner to try get more purchase.
                  Haven't been able to get any from the factors around here so I guess will online order.
                  If that junction isn't opened, the whole line from the rack has to come out, I found out yesterday that doing a front subframe drop.. I'm not going there.

Comment

Can you get a socket onto it Phil? It sounds like you need a good impact socket which will grab the the bolt.
                    Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

No I didn't explain very well, so its a joint in the hydraulic hard line. Much like a bigger version of a joint on a brake line, so can't get a socket on it.
                      I think I may end up cutting it and putting a socket on it to be honest.

Comment

Pipe wrench/Stilson?

I imagine space is tight….

Comment

Or a 1/2” drive crow foot spanner. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I may give stilson a go. Don't think I've had cause to use one on a car before. Access isn't that bad actually. The crows foot there also an option, was going to just get a large flared spanner but the crows foot may be handy on other jobs in future. Cheers lads.

Comment

I own a rake that i have had for about 12 years, it's mostly used for spreading stone, concrete etc.
                              I have never seen another one for sale so when
                              the head snapped on it about 1 year ago, well, it has been rolling around the van since, and the lads keep slagging me because i wont buy a new one, and say that it will be rolling around the van for ever etc etc so today, I took it to the "shed" and welded it back together so I'm very happy.
                              I also fitted a refreshed cradle with proflex bushes an M3 LSD, prop, half shafts and Arms to the race car but I'm just so happy with the rake.
                              I can wait for monday so I can put it to work.

Comment

I started filling the Halfords tool chest I got over Christmas, I got fed up of looking for a certain tool and taking ages to find it
                                I bought some of the Modular trays they sell for 1/2" and 1/4" as they fit nicely in the drawer

then on to sorting out the spanners and pliers

and then for now I've kind of thrown the screwdrivers and bigger spanners into another drawer for now, I'll revisit this drawer later

i used some shadowfoam from Amazon for the trays and it went alot better than I thought, I have 3 more sheets of it that I'll use when I sort more of tools

Comment

Working...
                                X