Bush removal/installation tools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush removal/installation tools.

The Alhambra went down in the NCT on wishbone bushes. Before I start the usual palaver of bush removal and fitting with home made pullers, are there any good kits out there at reasonable prices?

Threaded bar seems to be too soft sometimes at this job.

Surely anything other than a hydraulic press is just misery for a job like this?

i just googled Alhambra wishbone bushes, i'm just a little jealous after forking out for complete new arms for the 159 at €100 a piece.

Comment

https://ige.ie/22-piece-universal-ba...rvice-kit-1840

www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
        Surely anything other than a hydraulic press is just misery for a job like this?

i just googled Alhambra wishbone bushes, i'm just a little jealous after forking out for complete new arms for the 159 at €100 a piece.
        I went down the road of bushes instead of the full wishbone. The complete wishbone with bushes was around €150. I had a look at the wishbone and it doesn’t look a straight forward job for the press which I have access to. I have had episodes in the past putting in these and I need a quick turnaround on the car.
        Last edited by Sideline; 18-11-2021, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks Tristan, have you used that brand? I looked further on that site and I seen this which may be more suitable for bush removal and refitting?

https://ige.ie/press-and-pull-sleeve-kit

Comment

I haven't tbh, but I have bought bits and bobs from IGE without issues. It was just a suggestion to point you in their direction.
            www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Burn the bush and then use the kit linked above? Doing it in situ is always going to be awkward, there is a hydraulic press that i got a loan of from a truck mechanic before but fairly rare and expensive.

sd-1102-image.jpg

Comment

Pacini is fairly shite in my limited experience but a few others here say the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckfastMan View Post
                  Pacini is fairly shite in my limited experience but a few others here say the same.
                  I don't know Pacini, but I find that if you are going to use a non-precision tool every 10 years, or maybe just once, then a cheap sh1te one is fine just to get the job done.
                  We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

Originally posted by markcro View Post

I don't know Pacini, but I find that if you are going to use a non-precision tool every 10 years, or maybe just once, then a cheap sh1te one is fine just to get the job done.
                    Totally, thats why I bought a Pacini engine stand that's currently looking like the leaning tower of Pisa and its nowhere near its max load!

Comment

I called about the Pacini bush removers, they are in stock but no next day delivery. As I need to get this done over the weekend I might chance making up my own pullers, sure what can go wrong....

I remember tackling the subframe bushes in my old E39 years ago and what a nightmare. One of those jobs that you wish you hadn’t started.
                      I got there in the end but it took time and a lot of patience.

Here is how it should go. Simple really

https://youtu.be/lQ-pZLYA9VI

Comment

I rebushed my GT6 with threaded bar. I had a number of lengths cut and ready. If the threads stripped on a though bush, then I would swap to a new threaded bar to get it out the rest of the way. Putting news ones back it was a lot easier, but there were all small enough bushes. It did the job.
                        We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

Job done. It took a bit longer than I thought which meant no Porter for me Saturday night. The nuts stripped on the threaded bar while pulling in the bush but luckily enough I was able to to get an M12 x130 bolt which I tightened up as much as I could, but the bush was only halfway in or halfway out, if your a pessimist.

The careful introduction of a blow lamp at this stage moved things on pretty swiftly and something I must remember the next time I do this.

Another thing I should have known was to jack up the front of the car evenly. I just jacked the passenger side of the car which I was working on and it left a strain on the anti roll bar which left refitting the wishbone awkward when working by myself.

The bushes I took out didn't seem worn enough to be changed and there is no difference in the car handling, any time I have changed suspension parts due to NCT failure they are normally visibly worn.

Retest booked for Friday,

Comment

I bought something like this:
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265019545348

It hasn't seen a lot of use but makes light work of any job I've used it on. I've used bolts plus sockets as well, but this takes a lot of the stress out.
                            And as you've noted there's plenty of other parts of these type of jobs to go wrong. Such as getting the rear suspension of an e39 touring to line back up again..

Comment

Im one of the people who thinks pacini are :D:D:D:D but I have a number of Chinese bush removal tools which are fairly terrible finish wise but actually get the job done very well.

That set you linked Phil looks like excellent value.
                              Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

Working...
                              X