Aerosol paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerosol paint job

So having a car layed up for well over a few years and life getting in the way I decided to get the car resprayed and back on the road as its turning 30 next year.

I contacted multiple places close to home and beyond with some turning up to others just pricing over the phone.

I picked a local crew who showed up and were all about the car and quoted me which was agreed on and then radio silence since then, prices were €3500 to stratosphere money.

After being f*cked about for so long I decided a winter project could be interesting and sure if I learnt something from the process its a win win for me, now I know this will not be a showroom job but im intrigued on how to get a half decent job from not much outlay on materials with a load of labor on my part.

This video was the one to give me a push to do it myself and see how id go Painting your Car with Spray Paint! - YouTube

Now to start this and do the "proof of concept" I said id tackle the front wind of the car outside and see how i get on with the vision of it it worked half decent id get somewhere to tackle the rest.

So first I got a list together and paint code of the car and got 400ml of the black paint 400ml of etch primer and 200ml of 2k clear lacquer which mixes in the can.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

So I masked off the car and sanded the wing, so after the initial what the F*ck am I doing it was actually easy and enjoyable.

I wiped down the sanded paint with glass cleaner which evaporates quickly and the blue rolls which do not break apart and leave bits like normal paper

Had some micro fiber cloths aswell using booth where I seen fit

First coat of etch primer was added and let dry for 20 minutes and then took 1000 grip to light sand it and a second coat added and left to dry.

I then went at the first coat of black which was again 3 coats and left to dry before a top clear of 2k.

The 2k went on and left to dry where the orange peel was bad so got 1500 wet sanding grit and went at it, this is where I went to deep and went through to the undercoat which is lesion learnt so will have to repair but that's the learning part I suppose, no one ever learnt anything without a few mistakes I reckon.

I done a bit of googling and found G3 liquid compound works well G10 top coat using a drill and buffer set.

Honestly its not to bad for a complete amateur looking at a few youtube videos and I may venture to try a few more bits of the car to learn and get better at it.

I shall update if I go any further with this diy job

Comment

That is not half bad at all!
            Honestly, if you are going to sand the surface down, it does not matter if you are using a top of the line spray gun in a booth, or a roller, you are going to even everything out in the end anyway
            So, if it works, why not!
            "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
            "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

Good job and fair play for having a go.Came out well.It's very hard get good results with aerosol cans especially outside but the 2K ones now are way better than the 1K.

G3 has a strong cut and be very easy cut true with it .It is fine for spray gun jobs but risky for aerosol jobs.

Try 2000 or 2500 water paper which will take longer to wet sand but you can use a lot less aggressive compound to bring the shine back up.Using both these will have less chance of cutting true as removing less clear coat.Get a black rubber 3M sanding block and you can pull that back across the panel which will dry instantly and you can see what you just sanded if it need more or missed bits.

Few tips for ya,a blue polishing pad depending on brand is probably a finishing pad so will have very little cut to it and not great for removing 1500 water paper marks.

Etch primer isn't really needed unless there metal showing all over it as it promotes adhesion to bare metal.Use it on the bare metal and can use ordinary primer over it on rest of panel.

Just put on 3 or more coats of primer straight,no need to sand in between.When dry put on a guide coat which can be a very light dust coat of matt black and sand that with 800.That way you will see any bits of primer you missed sanding or highlight any problems.

Is that a solid or metallic colour?If solid you can get direct gloss and no need for 2K top coat.That 2k can be very bad for your health so be careful with it.

It is probably quicker to remove the 2 indicators and wing moulding than tape them up and less chance of paint peeling around them after and easier prepare the panel.

Drill being a rotary is hard manage,a DA polisher which can be got cheap in argos like in link is again less agressive and make life a lot easier for ya.
              Buy Guild Dual Action Car Polisher at Argos.ie- Your Online Shop for .

Any questions fire away.
              Last edited by joey; 26-10-2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Those 2k cans are an absolute godsend i have used them on a few jobs and if you properly flat and polish them after it's hard to tell from any other pro job.

I watched a few videos from the paint society before giving it a go as far as tutorials go they won't be beaten. Tbh though you will only get out what you put in at the prep stage. it's slow tedious work and tbh it opened my eyes as to why paint costs so much.

Comment

Originally posted by fast focus View Post
                  Those 2k cans are an absolute godsend i have used them on a few jobs and if you properly flat and polish them after it's hard to tell from any other pro job.

I watched a few videos from the paint society before giving it a go as far as tutorials go they won't be beaten. Tbh though you will only get out what you put in at the prep stage. it's slow tedious work and tbh it opened my eyes as to why paint costs so much.

Paul, I've a couple of Devilbiss guns, if you ever want to touch up something again.

@Mr Troop
                  I commend your efforts. Getting a pro to do a job is so expensive, and so hard to get someone to actually do anything other than a straightforward insurance repair is getting ever more difficult.

It spurred me on to try Learn how to do a bit myself.

I sprayed my RallyKa earlier this year, and I think it came out quite well.
                  Did a bonnet for a customer too, and a bumper / bonnet / wing for a van in work.
                  It's time consuming yet very rewarding.
                  ​​
                  I think it's only when you actually do a paint repair job oneself that you appreciate why it costs so much in a pro paint shop.
                  www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by joey View Post
                    Good job and fair play for having a go.Came out well.It's very hard get good results with aerosol cans especially outside but the 2K ones now are way better than the 1K.

G3 has a strong cut and be very easy cut true with it .It is fine for spray gun jobs but risky for aerosol jobs.

Try 2000 or 2500 water paper which will take longer to wet sand but you can use a lot less aggressive compound to bring the shine back up.Using both these will have less chance of cutting true as removing less clear coat.Get a black rubber 3M sanding block and you can pull that back across the panel which will dry instantly and you can see what you just sanded if it need more or missed bits.

Few tips for ya,a blue polishing pad depending on brand is probably a finishing pad so will have very little cut to it and not great for removing 1500 water paper marks.

Etch primer isn't really needed unless there metal showing all over it as it promotes adhesion to bare metal.Use it on the bare metal and can use ordinary primer over it on rest of panel.

Just put on 3 or more coats of primer straight,no need to sand in between.When dry put on a guide coat which can be a very light dust coat of matt black and sand that with 800.That way you will see any bits of primer you missed sanding or highlight any problems.

Is that a solid or metallic colour?If solid you can get direct gloss and no need for 2K top coat.That 2k can be very bad for your health so be careful with it.

It is probably quicker to remove the 2 indicators and wing moulding than tape them up and less chance of paint peeling around them after and easier prepare the panel.

Drill being a rotary is hard manage,a DA polisher which can be got cheap in argos like in link is again less agressive and make life a lot easier for ya.

Any questions fire away.
                    This is what I love about backroads - this level of advice and support for fellow backroaders is hugely valuable and should be applauded

Comment

Originally posted by Peterboxster View Post

This is what I love about backroads - this level of advice and support for fellow backroaders is hugely valuable and should be applauded
                      I was literally going to say the same thing.... epic reply and will use all your advise mentioned and give it another go.... this is why I love this place

Comment

Check out e30mclow 's 1jz e30 build thread. He painted the whole car in white aerosol last year and it came out great! Might be a few tips in there for you

Comment

Originally posted by joey View Post

Any questions fire away.
                          Hi Joey just making a list of stuff to get from your epic reply above, what would you recommend to use other than the g3..?

The color is a solid color so can I order up a 2k custom matched color which will be high gloss and if so how many coats do I put on and is it the same process of wet sanding and compounding it after it is dry..?
                          Last edited by Mr Troop; 28-10-2021, 04:23 PM.

Comment

More Sunny pics!
                            There's no light, There's only fire!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Troop View Post

Hi Joey just making a list of stuff to get from your epic reply above, what would you recommend to use other than the g3..?

The color is a solid color so can I order up a 2k custom matched color which will be high gloss and if so how many coats do I put on and is it the same process of wet sanding and compounding it after it is dry..?
                              For compound with it being black you might need go 2 stage as in 1 to remove the wet sanding marks and another to refine any holograms and give it a deep shine.

Meguires have 2 good compounds and pads for wet sanding, M105 and M205 which is less cut.The pads are yellow for polishing with M105 and black for finishing with M205. Paint can be very hard like on BMW and very soft on a Honda so what works on one car might not work on another so it's a bit pick and mix what works.M105 is rated for removing 1200 or higher sanding marks but that is for spray gun jobs and a cutting pad.

Being aerosol It probably be soft and if you sand down to at least 2500 or 3000 you could get away with the lighter cut M205 and black pad on a DA polisher.If you do a test patch and your getting gloss with scratches still there that's not the right combination for that paint .You need go over the the M105 and yellow pad first and follow up with M205.Always try the least aggressive first.Higher the grade of water paper you finish with means less polishing to do so finish with 2500 or 3000,you can go over lightly with 1500 or 2000 before the 2500/3000 if you want to speed things up.Keep away from any body lines as there easier to cut true.

Ya you can get gloss mixed in 2k cans but it's not cheap,I think it's about €30 a can.How many coats is a bit hard to answer as it depends if your putting on light or heavy coats.I would think you would have do at least 4 coats of direct gloss from an aerosol to be able wet sand it.
                              Last edited by joey; 30-10-2021, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X