No announcement yet.

1979 Holden 1 Tonner Ute resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to believe they got that bad out there with the rot!

I suppose if it were Ireland it'd be totally gone at this stage.

Sent from my SM-N950N using Tapatalk

2005 toyota sequoia, 1993 300d, 2009 prius, 1984 Volvo 242 turbo intercooler

Comment

Originally posted by admredux View Post
      Hard to believe they got that bad out there with the rot!

I suppose if it were Ireland it'd be totally gone at this stage.
      I think that was part of the issue... the engineers at Holden & Ford didn't think they'd rust either so ZERO rust prevention was undertaken, lots of metal was left raw & unpainted if it couldn't be seen. Also they never expected people 50 years on to still have a desire to own them... so they only needed them to last 3-5 years till you bought the new model
      Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Comment

Speaking of rust... lets get her ready for stripping... so out with the engine & trans again. If I had a dollar for every time I'd pulled this engine in or out I'd have.... well $3 actually, so not much of a retirement plan..

U12(1).jpg

U13(1).jpg

We're into spring finally here & the weather is looking up so I've decided to do the paint (read bog) removal outdoors

U14(1).jpg

U15(1).jpg

U16(1).jpg

Comment

Right so we know that the drivers side of the upper cowl is bad where it joins to the window channel...

U19(1).jpg

Lets take bets on how good the passenger side is.... hmmmm 6-7mm of bog you say, well that can only be hiding pristine metal I'm sure

U17(1).jpg

WTAF! some muppets just shouldn't be let near a car... I mean they just bogged in the holes, no advanced repair techniques here like balled up paper, fiberglass or chicken wire... nope just pure Bogatti & if you're going to cover it in that much bog why not weld in some new metal... I mean it's not like you even have to get the shape close if you're going to sculpt the fecking body line out of bog afterwards. Who in their right minds does this & then drives the car at speed.... sorry.. rant over

U18(1).jpg

Found out why the drivers side door sagged when opened... on a positive note the door hinge is probably fine & doesn't need to be rebuilt... in other unrelated news, the B-pillar is cracked when the support plate for the hinge bolts up. I have seen this on other Utes of this era so I guess its a common weak spot

U20(1).jpg

Comment

Time to play a game... a game I like to call rust roulette or bog bingo maybe, you choose. The idea is that I walk around the car & look at areas that I'm convinced will be bogged over rust under the paint... then I grind the paint & presumably bog to see just how bad it is... I'd already repaired the Passenger side lower B pillar & we know that the drivers side lower B pillar is just as bad... but lets play....

Drivers side lower A pillar.. yep bog & rust...

U22(1).jpg

Passenger side lower A pillar... nope, all good actually

U24(1).jpg

Passenger side sill panel... yep

U25(1).jpg

U26(1).jpg

Comment

Drivers side sill panel... yep, pretty bad actually

U27(1).jpg

U28(1).jpg

Passenger side roof

U29(1).jpg

Drivers side roof

U21(1).jpg

Those roof repairs will be fun...

Comment

Got a bit of time this afternoon & got the drivers side back to bare metal... there are a lot of off dents & little rust holes all over this shell

U30(1).jpg
                U31(2).jpg

U32(2).jpg

Comment

Got the rest of the cab stripped back now

U36(1).jpg

This uncovered a new horror "repair" to the front of the sill

U33(1).jpg

Again... I'm not trying to claim that I'm any good at this stuff, I mean I'm not metal finishing panels... anything I work on will still need .5mm-1mm of bog skimmed over it.. but WTAF... these guys saw this hole & filled it with silicone that then then smoothed out & bogged over that...

U34(1).jpg

U35(1).jpg

The people who sold this Ute claimed it had been lovingly restored.... well may a hive of flesh eating termites infest their rectums

Comment

The cowl is pretty good other that the two edges I showed above

U37(1).jpg

The roof itself (again other that the horrors shown above) is ok

U39(1).jpg

Someone has cut out the small hole that the roof aerial would have had & welded in a patch of steel... I'm assuming not the previous owners as they'd have used paper & bog I'm sure

U38(1).jpg

Next steps will be to fire up the A-Team montage music & break out the grinder with a cutting disk this time & cut all the cancer out of the old girl

U40(1).jpg

Comment

I’m surprised you’re not calling all those old repairs “bush fixes”, Dave. Keep the updates coming, always nice to the see the progress.
                      ElDel, “I ask this purely out curiosity DMZ, but did your lack of interest in the generic come from your ownership experience of the Golf R?”

Comment

No... I wouldn't insult Bush Mechanics in that way... A Bush fix is normally a very cleaver & inventive way of fixing a mechanical issue when due to your remote location you have access to neither the right parts or tools.... these guys lived a few minutes drive from a major town & as such their decision to "repair" the Ute this way wasn't born of necessity.

I do wonder now if they repaired the Ute this way out of greed as the plan was to paint it & flip it ASAP to get as much cash as they could for it or if they actually were of the impression that they'd done a good job here & were sad when they had to sell their beloved Ute...

Also I spent a bit of time in the outback back in the 00's & Bush Mechanics don't tend to do any rust fixes... they see them as speed holes, rust is lighter than carbon fibre after all.. if this Ute had been properly out bush then it would be driving looking just like it is now cab only with no hanging panels & if the roof rust got too bad then they'd just chop the roof off

Comment

Took to the Ute today with the grinder & the plasma cutter to remove the first sections of rust I plan on attacking... the drivers side lower B pillar, this will be a copy of the repair I did on the passenger side earlier on in this thread...

IMG_9857.jpg

The sill top & the inside sections will again need to be worked too

IMG_9858.jpg

Then I moved onto the passenger side roof rust... cut that out & now we can see that the superstructure behind is rotten too... so that gets cut out too... I'll have to replace that first with some thicker 1.6mm plate I have before I replace the section of roof skin with 1.2

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9860.jpg

IMG_9865.jpg

Comment

Then went to the drivers side roof rust... cut that out, same issue with the superstructure but this time the cut to fix the roof skin rust isn't big enough to get to the issues behind so it needed to be enlarged

IMG_9861.jpg

IMG_9862.jpg

IMG_9866.jpg

Once I have the repairs done on these bits then my plan is to inside the cab & unpick & remove this central panel that will give me access to the rest of that superstructure to see if it needs any attention & means I don't need to cut anymore holes in the roof as no one wants that...

IMG_9863.jpg

Comment

This is going to be an exercise on metal origami as it's rather complex in how the different layers join up... once the superstructure is done then the metal that would have come up from the Qtr panel needs to be made & that attaches to the superstructure & then the new roof skin needs to be made to come down over that repair piece that comes up... then the drip rail needs to be reattached to the roof skin... this will be tricky I'm sure... to try & explain the overlaps better see the pics below, I'll aim for slightly better tolerances on the finished article

IMG_9867.jpg

IMG_9868.jpg

Comment

Right well cutting out rust is fun but at some point you have to start putting new steel in... or just fill the hole with a kilo of bog, either/or really. I had some 3.5mm plate laying about so I patched the inner structure with that, not fussed with how this bit looks for obvious reasons... it should never be seen again.

IMG_9869.jpg

IMG_9870.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the shaping process & some of the tools I use, but I'll be doing the passenger side tomorrow so I'll capture that then... started roughing in the shape of the patch

IMG_9871.jpg

IMG_9873.jpg

Then started slowly tacking it in.... you have to be super careful with welding roofs, it's very very easy to warp them from putting too much heat in.

IMG_9874.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X