The prancing moose ! 242 TIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time no update!

Finally got the notion of getting the wiring harness done this weekend!

20201122_165816 by V G, on Flickr

A bit of a pain to get the intake bolts off and when I took off the intake I saw the socket to thermal switch in pieces. I'm terrified of replacing it - it's still in the block and I may be able to get some wires onto it and use epoxy or something to do until I can afford a new one/ wait for one to arrive!

20201122_193610 by V G, on Flickr

What I was really surprised at was that a whole bunch of wires were already disconnected - especially under the intake but even starter wires were unhooked.

20201102_171924 by V G, on Flickr

I also threw together a bracket for the expansion tank.

20201122_193642 by V G, on Flickr

Inspecting the harness further it was pretty obvious it was cremated!
    2005 toyota sequoia, 1993 300d, 2009 prius, 1984 Volvo 242 turbo intercooler

Comment

These vacuum lines are kicking my ass. A lot missing from the equation!

Sent from my SM-N950N using Tapatalk

Comment

Main fuel pump time, relatively easy !

Had to redo some of the wiring. Kicking myself for not testing if power was getting to it but seems to be sending fuel to the filter underhood.

The filter is a total pain in my ample ass to remove. Not like I can break out the torch ! So it has got some wd-40 over night ! And hopefully I can get the damn thing out tomorrow.

Haven't tried starting yet, want to change the oil and filters first, the oil stinks !

Last edited by admredux; 28-11-2020, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Wow You really are waist deep in this thing. Keep going!
          "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

Originally posted by SJ View Post
            Wow You really are waist deep in this thing. Keep going!
            I haven't smelt petrol that bad in a long long time, I'm just hoping the tank is okay !

It basically needs everything wiring and mechanical gone over. Thanks be to feck the body is straight enough!

Comment

Next on the list are all the service bits and pieces. Oil, filter, coolant flush too!

There's congealed crap in the header tank but no milkshake so hopefully can avoid a headgasket.

I have the timing belt, water pump etc but I do want to hear it run before going through all of that !

I actually had to break out the impact on a wobbly extension to remove this but on the fuel filter. Someone had used red loctite on the threads by looks of it !

Last edited by admredux; 28-11-2020, 11:42 PM.

Comment

I must've fecked up the fuel line when doing the filter. I guess it's good to know it's getting fuel to the damn thing at least. Ordered the smallest size (5/16) nylon line at AutoZone and forgot to buy a heat gun to fit the thing !

Tried starting today. It's not happy !

I replaced the fuel pump relay but they don't cycle on turning on and off the key, I jumped the pump fuses and I think I'm hearing both. They're both new anyways.

I cracked off the fuel line into the k jet fuel distributor, it's getting gas, then did the same for each of the fuel lines out of it. All showing clean fuel present. No visible leaks out of them despite the outer parts looking pretty cracked to hell!

I tried cranking again after loosening off the injector steel lines and nothing there, I was expecting something at least ???

At a bit of a loss now, I'll replace the fuel line once I get the bits and maybe fire in the spare ecu I've got to see if that'll wake things up a bit?

Confused, thoroughly!

I whipped off the intake from intercooler to throttle body and fired in some easy start, was rewarded with a pop or two and a lot of smoke

So I went to harbor freight to console myself and prep myself for the ball joints on the w124 !

Last edited by admredux; 29-11-2020, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by admredux View Post

I like your comprehensive project tracking system.
                  https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

Originally posted by crank_case View Post
                    I like your comprehensive project tracking system.
                    It's missing all the curse words

Comment

So the bastarbing fuel line was leaking,
                      I must have linked it at some stage.

$25 / 10ft worth of nylon 5/8"fuel line ordered.

Not knicking the barbs on the fittings was taken care of by burning off the old line.

Then just heated the barbs and the line to get them together. All seems to be leak free now thankfully!

What seems like an infinity later, I'm very well acquainted with everything leaking under the car.

Somehow I ended up with an extra 4 inches (TWSS) of fuel line and did a quick loop and additional bracket

A job I hope to never do again. It's not in tank fuel pump bad but I have crud in pretty much every orifice!

Great thing is that there's no visible crud/ varnish in the fuel up to the filter at least.

I ran some bigger fuel hose over it to sheath it around the engine bay, just kept it away from top so I could see the leaks if any !

The little 8mm bolt that holds the sheathing on entrance to the Bay was a bit of a pain in the face !

But done, hopefully forever!
                      Last edited by admredux; 07-12-2020, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Little bits coming in after being backordered for months, like Christmas present s, I forget ordering them!

Comment

Had to add some style to the fuel filter

Still waiting on my banjo fittings so I can hook up the fuel pressure tester.

I have fuel at the, filter, distributor, start of the fuel lines from distributor to injector but nothing at the fuel line to injector point. Going to take them off and clean through, make sure they're not full of gunk.

Need to also figure out a replacement for this relay. It's the injector impulse control relay?

I can't find a new one which is driving me slightly mad.
                          Last edited by admredux; 13-12-2020, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Like this one?
                            https://www.ebay.com/itm/383772424560
                            Or used
                            https://www.ebay.com/itm/324362875684
                            Deadly Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Deadly Dave View Post
                              Nice one, I saw the used one alright, pricey new !

Comment

Whats inside it? If there is a circuit board mounted relay then usually they just need to ne resoldered.
                                Deadly Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X