No announcement yet.

The prancing moose ! 242 TIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned up the one yellowy headlight and gave the inside a deep cleanse!

Then wheel time

Sent from my SM-N950N using Tapatalk
    2005 toyota sequoia, 1993 300d, 2009 prius, 1984 Volvo 242 turbo intercooler

Comment

• Twas filthy with dust so gave it a quick wipe

They look so pretty together.

Started moving up the 530 head off the 940 on the b21 block in the 242. Will have to remove the cruise control diaphragm. Interference with the brake booster. Injectors off a 740 and have the ballast pack, might run 850 injectors to save hassle?

Started stripping out the white 244 to do the block swap. Theory is take the head off, mate to the fresh block and then remove old block and stab in the freshly resealed/ headgasketed engine.

I'll be honest it's real tempting to transfer all over to the 242 but the white car is so clean/ so together that it'd be such a waste of a potentially great save.

Comment

• Head looks good had been skimmed before, pistons look great for 250k plus

Last edited by admredux; 10-06-2021, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• Fingers crossed for you here...

Comment

• Salvage the engine for the 242, slap an LS in the 244 is the obvious solution here.
            https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

• I'm torn on this one. The block 93+ block in the white one is one of the better choices for higher boost volvo builds. A b230 oil squirter, the best to many.

The engine on the stand is a relatively low mileage 100 k block but no oil squirters as it's from a 92. Reliable enough but no big power.

The b21ft bottom end currently in the coupe is said to be unbreakable. Maybe some forged bits in there, but no big power.

So I think, block on stand goes into the white one, quick, easiest route, no real messing. Drive the white one, keep it on the road.

The head on the right is 100k miles, left 224k miles.

Keep the b21 block in the 242, slap a head on it and get it on megasquirt/ Maxx ecu. Boost till it breaks.

Build the remaining block for bigger power engine.

The other option is to gut the white one entirely and transfer the engine/ running gear and have an abs upgrade, r134 a/c upgrade on the coupe as well as infinity spares.

It doesn't owe me a lot and two cars means more money tied up, the white car gets the 242 on the road sooner/ without much additional outlay.

I'd feel terrible gutting a solid survivor with no rust, handy to have a spare car that's easily fixed around too.

It also means I can go a bit more extreme on the 242 down the line. I'd like 200-300 bhp in that eventually.

The white one has working everything too, even central locking !

Last edited by admredux; 12-06-2021, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Budget egg crate grille, some new trim cobbler together from two back door bits

Detail time and picked up some bits at the scrapyard!

Got 2 lots of back door trim as ND cut down to make the front door trim

Found one hockey stick but still need one for drivers side front!

Last edited by admredux; 13-06-2021, 04:57 AM.

Comment

• Thinking of paining the front style rims like this for a bit of contrast. That or the JDM darker bronze like on the wantanabes.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• So she polished up real nice, 254k mile, 29 year old paint!

32 degree heat meant a vet quick compound and da session, Finnish Kare sealant and pink wax.

This week I will mostly be cursing at whatever this crap on my cylinder head is!

Acetone, paint remover, degreaser half a dozen plastic razors.

It's such a pain!

Comment

• So tell me I'm mad but this seems like a perfect canvas for a fake racecar...
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• No No no not on a road car.
                        https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

Comment

• Not much in the way of updates, got some more parts, building up the engine for the 244 first!

Made my own rear head seal retainer, this is why the original engine died!

Picked up an engine hoist too.

It's 32' degrees here on an average day so forgive my lack of progress!

Haven't forgotten about the 242, saving for the better parts!

Last edited by admredux; 18-07-2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• After a lot of cursing I finally got the timing belt lined up right, first pic crank is off about half an inch!

It feels fierce counterintuitive to be throwing this into the white one but I need that to drive first and have it movable around the house at least.

Then I can use the remnants if the white ones engine to build something half decent for the turbo!

38 degrees here today so very slow progress!

Comment

• More period correct Borbet type? $200 I have no self control.

Sure the engine doesn't work but I do have 4 sets of wheels now

Comment

• I'm really trying to think of good reasons to keep the white Volvo together.

All I'd want to do with it is this:

I know I want the a/c system for the coupe.

I could have pretty much infinite spare parts for the coupe too. Suspension, steering racks, etc.

And the big one is that I could have the coupe on the road quicker/ cheaper. Even if I start out naturally aspirated it'd be grand, just want to get it on the road.

I know I won't be keeping the white one forever even if I throw a new engine in there and I'd be selling it to buy an ecu/engine build for the coupe.

It just feels wrong to take something so relatively complete apart but it'd live on pretty well as a support piece for the coupe

Plus I really want to change the front clip on my own coupe eventually to look like this!

Ultimately I'd like to freeup time/ cash and space. This would really allow me to do that I think 🤔

Comment

Working...
                                X