Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting wee read here

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-41730957.html

Captures some of the sentiment to those very close to the sport.
    When it took Joey Dunlop it proved it can take anyone.
    A minister who is chaplain to the road racing community has said people calling for the sport to be banned do not understand its complexities.
    I've moved out to the country and I'm eating a lot of peaches

Comment

• If you read anything from the road racing community you’d think the rest of the world is out to get it and ban it. Who is asking for it to be banned exactly? Seeing as it’s endlessly repeated you’d think there are people taking to the streets in outrage. Which there aren’t.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cold View Post
        If you read anything from the road racing community you’d think the rest of the world is out to get it and ban it. Who is asking for it to be banned exactly? Seeing as it’s endlessly repeated you’d think there are people taking to the streets in outrage. Which there aren’t.
        I guess it's like anything else, if you are closer to it you will be more aware of people calling for it to be banned. Usually it's councilers, politicians, residents.

Comment

• Because of the fatality and injury rate, there's always been an unease around the sport - your own take on it upthread being a fairly representative example.

John's quote above is from a minister who led the funeral service. He'll have heard those discussions on whether it should be banned first hand, and there would have been many, albeit probably spoken in hushed terms with a large measure of respect for the deceased and his participation in the sport.

There's no high profile mass movement trying to get it banned, more of a debate that goes on constantly at a grass roots level within the broader community. You gotta remember Ireland / Norn Ireland is really firmly in the large village / 1-2 degrees of separation bracket - and every time somebody is killed or injured, the impact is felt much further than you might imagine. ​​​​​​​I grew up in a road racing family going back a couple of generations, and those discussions have been going on for as long as I can remember. Healthy to have the discussion and debate in an informed manner - as does happen, believe me - without the press piling in, or the politicians trying to sensationalise it.

It won't be a mass movement that'll kill road-racing btw - it'll be insurance and the risk of litigation.

Comment

• My unease has to do with the causal treatment of the fatalities by the organisers of the Isle of Man TT, which does annoy me. We can take the example of the templated press release of the Stocktons dying being issued 20 mins before a prize giving ceremony going ahead as though nothing had happened. That is far below my standards of civilised behaviour.

The Isle of Man TT won't be banned because of some popular uprising that's for sure. Firstly there is no popular uprising and secondly and more importantly it's worth far too much money for that to happen. In short I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

• Agreed on the TT's longer term prospects. Insurance is a thing though - for spectators and other third parties moreso than riders.

The Manx Govt presumably would be a large enough entity to subsidise or underwrite the insurance cost if it ever came to that - but more of a problem here, where events are funded and organised by local clubs and organising groups effectively - who dont have deep pockets. The inability to get insurance cover has led to the cancellation of a number of events in recent years.

Comment

• Yep around here it's no doubt difficult. Everything is difficult here to be fair when it comes to insurance.

Comment

• Governments don't buy insurance. FWIW.
                  "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Comment

• No, but they regulate the insurance market - and they (or at least their European overseers) - have the ability to manage legislation and awards mechanisms to determine the extent of liability.

A moot point anyway, as the IOM tourist body could provide grants to subsidise the running of the TT, part of which could be used to help the organising body pay for the necessary insurance cover.

Comment

• Or the government of IoM could just disappear anyone who is against road racing or who has the audacity to put in an insurance claim. I get the sense that they would find a way, lol.

Comment

• Just to give this thread a quick nudge, and not hoping to reignite the debates of the previous 9 pages, but here is a selection of words and pictures from my time at the TT this year
                        The Isle of Man TT remains the worlds most incredible motorcycle race.

Comment

• And, as a bonus, I know someone had asked before in the thread about images from other races, here is a piece I did in 2019 chasing a bit of the Irish road racing season, specifically Skerries, Faugheen, the Ulster GP & the Munster 100 in Glanmire.

An investigation into the world of Irish Road Racing, one of the most exciting and exhilarating forms of Motorsports anywhere in the world!

Comment

• ^ That's excellent Cian - you've captured it well

One minor point btw as an aside for those who don't follow road-racing - the big difference between the TT and the Irish Road Races is that the IOM is a time-trial, with the bikes being set off individually 30 seconds apart and racing against the course, whereas Dundrod, the NW200 and all of the others are pure road-races, with mass starts and everybody racing everybody else. There's little else quite like a pack of road-racers howling off the line hell-bent on getting off the line and into position for turn 1..

JMR6mbqh.jpg

All still serious motorsport though. I liked this, puts it very well.

"Road racing does not concern itself with airs or graces, flashy corporate identity or sanitised image. It’s about as true as motorsport comes"

Comment

• Excellent photos and story’s, Cian! Road racing is unique and scary, but utterly fascinating!

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X