Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ring Virgin - advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ring Virgin - advice

    First trip coming up in September to the ring in the little baguette 🥖 (t minus 44 days to be exact), never been before, so looking for some tips and advice.
    Shameless pic


    We are going to get 3 Touristenfahrten evenings and one whole day on the Nordschleife.
    I've spent an African country's national deficit getting the Megane sorted over the past few months but it's still pretty much standard, so not chasing lap times, just need to get there do some laps and get back.

    So explain it to me like I'm a 3 year old, what to bring, what to do, etc.

    Danke
    Last edited by Rochey; 19-07-2021, 10:31 AM.

  • #2
    theres zillions of good guides online, some old but still good. Misha Charoudin on youtube from APEX does some good videos on it too, theres any amount.

    From an Irish perspective, dont crash (ESPECIALLY into anyone else) on touristenfahrten, you wont be covered by your road insurance if that's all your going with.

    Before you go, do a bit of reseach on who might do parts for your car in the event of an issue, even normal things like pads, disks, brake hoses, wheel bearings etc anything can happen, and it would be stressful trying to do it on the side of the road.
    looking back now, I think that maybe, every now and again, I should have braked a little earlier

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mark2 View Post
      t
      From an Irish perspective, dont crash (ESPECIALLY into anyone else) on touristenfahrten, you wont be covered by your road insurance if that's all your going with.

      Before you go, do a bit of reseach on who might do parts for your car in the event of an issue, even normal things like pads, disks, brake hoses, wheel bearings etc anything can happen, and it would be stressful trying to do it on the side of the road.
      Yeah this is what I was after, solid advice, cheers man.

      Comment


      • #4
        Id also highly recommend a helmet, even if you plan to take it handy...... P.S dont forget to carry a firestick at all times! Check DB of exhaust if its borderline.
        if it rains, stay off the racing line at all costs. some are worse than others, but all corners are lethal in the wet. especially kallenhard where you could literally understeer / lift off oversteer off the track at 40mph.

        looking back now, I think that maybe, every now and again, I should have braked a little earlier

        Comment


        • #5
          How bad is it that I thought you were looking at advice for getting in touch with a TV provider.

          Comment


          • #6
            Drive slow, take your time, learn the track. You'll be overtaken, you'll overtake, leave any ego at the gate and you'll be fine. Enjoy!
            Automotive Photographer
            http://www.pmcgphotos.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Stay off the kerbs, if you can, - Yes, they're the fastest way around the track, but you won't be setting any new records on your first visit and some can really upset the balance of the car if you don't approach them in the correct way.

              Be very careful at Schwedenkreuz - It's very fast (220+ km/h on approach in your Megane) and bumpy in the braking area. V. easy to lose the back end. There's a reason most of the Nurburgring crash videos are filmed around there (and Adenauer Forst / Brunnchen, although they're much more about show-boating gone wrong).

              Leave (even) more of a safety margin than you would on a normal track day - It's easy to get suckered in to thinking you know where the track goes and mix up blind corners which are flat with those that require heavy braking. Also watch for bikers, who appear from nowhere and occasionally pass under braking into corners. They also fall off sometimes, and you don't want to come barreling round a bend to find one sat in the middle of the track, surrounded by broken bits of fairing.

              Karussel is hard on a road car - Maybe worth losing 5-10 seconds off your BTG time by backing off a bit there, for the sake of mechanical sympathy.

              Enjoy - It's a great buzz being there. Steak on a stone in the Pistenklause, washed down with a few weissbier as you dissect the day's events is always fun.

              Comment


              • #8
                I MADE IT!
                Thanks for the advice chaps.
                10 laps, drove like a tool, cooked tires, boiled brakes, bumped into a Backroader, learnt lots, saw amazing cars, met cool people, the sun shone.



                I'm going back asap!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Cool, glad you enjoyed it. My only regret is not having a few spare days to investigate the surrounding area more.
                  www.PatHoranMotors.com

                  E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

                  Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Good to meet you! I gather you made it back in one piece so. Did Nick fly or bring car home?

                    Love this shot, my surprise coming hot out of Plantzgarten trying to avoid a D plated Megane!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by miller View Post
                      Good to meet you! I gather you made it back in one piece so. Did Nick fly or bring car home?

                      Love this shot, my surprise coming hot out of Plantzgarten trying to avoid a D plated Megane!

                      Ha ha is that the photo of the rubbing mirrors?

                      BOTH cars were on the ferry thankfully.

                      The focus is all on next year's build.
                      So there may be some Megane RS's up for sale soon
                      Last edited by Rochey; 10-09-2021, 01:32 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Fluoxetine View Post
                        Also watch for bikers, who appear from nowhere and occasionally pass under braking into corners. They also fall off sometimes, and you don't want to come barreling round a bend to find one sat in the middle of the track, surrounded by broken bits of fairing.

                        bikes are a eight nuisance there!!! Will all fly passed you along with cocks in GTRs and other expensive cars as you head up from Breidschreid upto the Karussel and then you'll be held up by them all the way from Hoheacht down to Gallenhoff!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DaveM-Sport View Post


                          bikes are a eight nuisance there!!! Will all fly passed you along with cocks in GTRs and other expensive cars as you head up from Breidschreid upto the Karussel and then you'll be held up by them all the way from Hoheacht down to Gallenhoff!
                          They really are a nuisance but sure where else in the world would you have bikes out on track with cars, it's the uniqueness of a TF day - all part of the experience I guess.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The crazy bikes was one of my biggest take aways from my trip to the ring many years ago. Me full concentration going "fast" around right hand corner, a biker came up along side me and reached out his foot and touched the side of my car. This was at 130km/h +

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sad, as over the last few years there are fewer and fewer bikes on the Ring. Years ago there was no better sight than a handy lad knee down peeling away from you in a corner on a bike.

                              All the fast lads are either gone or given up. When a spotty youth can land in with a 500+hp car on finance and 'send it' for likes and views you can see their reasoning for staying away.

                              Ill say it again, if you are going for lap times and feel bikers are in your way then TF is NOT for you. Book a trackday instead.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X