Integra Type R potential purchase...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integra Type R potential purchase...

I'm after finding a pretty nice Type R Integra. It's a 1996 phase 1 with the square headlights so the ugliest one but it seems like good value at €14k with a test and from a dealer who is around 30+ years and a well known car enthusiast. we've dealt with him before and he is very straight. It has 175,000km on it and it seemed to drive really tight. I only got a short drive in it but it is a fairly raw car and it's amazing how sharp to drive they are. The VTEC aggression is hilarious and the gearbox is so so good.

What should I look out for in these? Is 175,000km relatively low on these. I know it's a 90s Honda so mechanically as good as cars get but I'd imagine that rust could be an issue.

Originally posted by llcoolmac View Post
    I'm after finding a pretty nice Type R Integra. It's a 1996 phase 1 with the square headlights so the ugliest one but it seems like good value at €14k with a test and from a dealer who is around 30+ years and a well known car enthusiast. we've dealt with him before and he is very straight. It has 175,000km on it and it seemed to drive really tight. I only got a short drive in it but it is a fairly raw car and it's amazing how sharp to drive they are. The VTEC aggression is hilarious and the gearbox is so so good.

What should I look out for in these? Is 175,000km relatively low on these. I know it's a 90s Honda so mechanically as good as cars get but I'd imagine that rust could be an issue.
    Nice find. Nothing to add, apart from that the rectangular (Jap import?) headlight ones were by far the best looking in my opinion. I almost bought one back in the day, and I was going for the rectangular headlight ones over the roundy headlight ones. Keep us all updated!
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

Originally posted by markcro View Post
      that the rectangular (Jap import?) headlight ones were by far the best looking in my opinion.
      Best looking by far.

Comment

Its common knowledge that the UKDM round headlight version is the better looking car

Comment

The JDM square lights are more sought after than the round UKDM ones.
          Usual rot spots to look out for but a very good investment and they are brilliant!!!!

Comment

id jump all over that, sounds like a great investment

Comment

Back in the day, Tiff Nedell said they were the best handling FWD sports car ever.
              We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

Rear arches are a particularly bad spot for rust so give them a good look over.
                Boot floor as well if the rear light seals are leaking, another common issue.

96 spec is a fantastic car, even if it has the smaller brakes.

Comment

Agreed,cracking car and one I've looked at more than few times,someday I will buy one.

The synchros can cause a few issues I think, like a lot of the 90's generations Honda's and the potential well known rust issues.

Other than that,enjoy listening to that engine as it screams past 6k and what many consider to be one of the best handling cars ever.

Comment

I wouldn't call out any major mechanical faults but rust is a big issue as stated up above. Give the rear arches and rear footwells a good look. If you could peel up the carpet inside a bit that would be great.

Go for it.

Comment

My one wasn’t very high mileage back in 2010 when I had mine and there was 135km on the clock.

The Hondas I had were always the ones I regretted selling the most, there is no fun like banging the limiter in one they are so eager to rev. Would highly recommend you get a j’s racing induction kit. They are loud but you will have a hoot driving it.

Sorry I don’t have any advice other than buy it and they are great fun.
                      Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Comment

Given the age, just watch for blue smoke out the exhaust, could be just a valve adjustment needed or something a bit more serious. Plenty reliable otherwise and given it’s nearly 27 years old, the usual pitfalls to watch out for.
                        I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

Comment

One of the better cars I have owned... driving position is perfect, gearshift is dream worthy along with great handling. Plus it has the one thing a lot of cars are missing these days and that is "the fizz" I can't expain it but when you get back home after a backroad blast you will be grinning ear to ear every time. The negatives are just 90's interior is a let down and it's just a bit short on power compared to anything about now.

Comment

I currently own a 2001 DC2 Type R. I think the DC2 Type R is an outstanding car that offers great handling and is a very enjoyable experience at sane / socially acceptable speeds.

There's a lot of small, subtle changes between the '96 and '98 spec cars which arguably make the later iterations the one to go for.

My Teg has about 192k km on the clock now. The B18C engine is super, pulls like a train and when it hits cross over on VTEC you can't help but smile. The gearbox is also a joy to use and the LSD is a great feature. Keeping the engine oil fresh with regular changes and the engine will happily rev out all day, every day.

There are endless amount of modifications and tuning options ranging from subtle OEM+ improvements to questionable MaxPower style additions.

As mentioned by other posters above corrosion is something that needs to be considered and checked for when purchasing and during ownership.
                            Also check all the rubbers and seals as they are most likely aged and perished unless they've recently been changed (most can be done at home by any competent DIY mechanic). The same for basically everything in the engine bay; pipes, hoses, radiator etc. etc. Window regulators are a known weak point and will probably need to be changed out if not already done.

Servicing and general maintenance is another area where these are very good; access to everything is very good. There's minimal electrical systems to worry about and provided you've the right tools, mechanical knowledge and patience there's very little that you can't DIY on a DC2.

Bear in mind DC2 parts are actually quite thin on the ground and that the prices for used parts have gone up considerably in recent times.

Also at €14k I'd say the one you're considering is at the dearer end of the '96 spec market. I had my one up for sale earlier this year for not much more and it didn't sell for what I thought was a fair price. Plenty of lads lamenting about being able to buy Tegs for much less money 10 odd years ago but those days are long gone. Just look at the Japanese auction prices and you're definitely not getting one landed sub €20k.
                            I am happy enough to keep my Teg for another year or two as it's a joy to drive and it's not easy to find a good one.
                            Last edited by Section4; 05-12-2022, 11:33 PM.

Comment

You must have one of the last produced Section4 since they stopped production in 2001.

Is it a Type-RX?

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X