No announcement yet.

The most disappointing car you ever drove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..as for the most disappointing thing I've driven, and I think this needs the disclaimer that I only had a brief spin in it and maybe I'd see things differently after a time, probably a Toyota Celica ST202 beams. The engine on paper had a lot more power than my 205 GTI 1.6 at the time, but it didn't feel as quick. I mean I like a car you can rev out, but the whole package didn't seem to gel, it seemed to be too highly strung an engine in too large a car and just never really seemed to come alive, but maybe I'm not being fair on it.

Edit - snap! ...and HawkAl, based on my older beams engined experience, I don't think the 190 would have fared much better. Toyota put that engine in every single car they could except the one that actually really suited it, the MR-S, because the thing barely weighs more than 100okg.
    Last edited by crank_case; 16-09-2022, 07:53 PM.
    https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

There’s actually an F-Pace SVR for sale with that engine. Full want. I should [really not] go and look at it. It’s just such a ludicrous thing particularly in the land of diesel and misery.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold View Post
        There’s actually an F-Pace SVR for sale with that engine. Full want. I should [really not] go and look at it. It’s just such a ludicrous thing particularly in the land of diesel and misery.
        I'd wager it's probably a better resolved and driveable thing than the F-Type ironically. A bit like how probably the best thing to get Hellcat engine in in the real world is probably actually a Jeep Trackhawk because the Charger can apparently barely get the regular V8s power down and that traction control light would be flummoxed the merest hint of damp and light up like a strobe at an 808 state gig.
        Last edited by crank_case; 16-09-2022, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Going back a few years to the 70's I dreamed of owning a Mk III Ford Cortina but I was horrified by how wallowy they were when I got to drive many of them while working in the main dealer. The later models were better though. I recall a nice long drive delivering a 2000E model - the first automatic car I ever drove.

Comment

Unpopular opinion here I'm sure but I just didn't like my E61 M5, could never gel with it.

I found my E46 M3 much nicer to drive and I owned both at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by cdiv View Post

I was fully prepared to be disappointed the moment I clapped my unfortunate eyes on this hire car. Still out disappointed my low expectations.
              You've stumped me there....what is it?

Comment

Buick Century is my guess.

Comment

I got to drive a Ferrari California, the original version in Modena 10 years ago. I think it was set to all the 'soft settings' so was a bit of a let-down. It was fast but didn't drive like I expected. I drove an F430 after that and my God that car was sensational by comparison.
                  I think the worst car I drove is a tossup between a Toyota Avensis and an Opel Vectra. I was certainly glad to get back into the Integra I had then after them.

Comment

Originally posted by Titan View Post

You've stumped me there....what is it?
                    Kia Opirus, proof that the transition to EVs isn't all bad.

Comment

Aircooled Porsche 911 Targa, admittedly I drove it in heavy rain when it was stone cold and hadn't been driven in 12 months.

Just felt cold, loud, heavy, leaky and old to drive with an awful driving position. Admittedly weather improved before i gave it back and it was starting to cone to life. I'd give it a second chance though.

Comment

I drove a Lambo Gallardo a few years back at Nutts Corner. Was really excited to drive it as I've always lusted after them. Unfortunately this one was a bit rough around the edges and had the E-gear auto gearbox, an absolute pig of a transmission. It was very disappointing to drive and knocked Gallardos off their pedestal for me.

Drove an F430 immediately after and that was everything you imagine a supercar will be. Sharp, fast, responsive; absolute cracking car.

Comment

Originally posted by Chamade View Post
                          Aircooled Porsche 911 Targa, admittedly I drove it in heavy rain when it was stone cold and hadn't been driven in 12 months.

Just felt cold, loud, heavy, leaky and old to drive with an awful driving position. Admittedly weather improved before i gave it back and it was starting to cone to life. I'd give it a second chance though.
                          Same for me. Drove a 1986 Targa 911 but it was in sunny weather in Arizona back around 1996 ish. Offset pedals, noisy farty sounding engine, it just felt old even back then.
                          While not up there with the best cars a car that pleasantly surprised me was a 225 bhp mk1 TT.

Comment

Probably haven't driven enough to have a proper viewpoint, but a few that jump to mind.

Every BMW something-20d. They're just another diesel. Noisy and rattling as any other diesel. Canceling our everything that a BMW is/used to claim to be.

Toyota Landcruiser. No brakes. Absolutely lethal. And everywhere on Irish roads.

997 Turbo S. Punch in the face throttle plus bone hard ride. Just felt like it was going to throw itself into a wall at any moment. Maybe I'm just not man enough.

Most pleasant surprise was a bog standard 306 diesel. More I drove it the more I came to love it. It wasn't fast (despite the fan boys claims in the 90s), but it was a pleasure to hussle along Irish back roads. Ride and handling were just perfect. 307 that replaced it was garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by 166man View Post
                              Golf Mk7 R is up there for me.

Fast in a straight line (if you’re into that sort of stuff) but overall dull to drive, poorly made and exceptionally disappointing overall, I don’t get the obsession with them.
                              Totally agree, and I had the first 500 bhp R in the country. Once the straight line acceleration novelty wears off there’s nothing left.

Comment

Originally posted by 10.2 View Post

997 Turbo S. Punch in the face throttle plus bone hard ride. Just felt like it was going to throw itself into a wall at any moment. Maybe I'm just not man enough.
                                Funny enough, I spoke to a guy recently who had a GT3 991.1. Asked, what was it like? Absolutely hated it, he said. Too hard on the road, slightest ramps were a pain to get over. Got rid of it and now has a 991 Turbo S. Said he absolutely loves it by comparison.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X