Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Track Cars and the NCT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Track Cars and the NCT

    I brought my swift track car to the NCT last night and it failed on 2 items:
    • No rear seats and belts
    • R888 tyres which were worn (fair enough), but they were also deemed not fit for purpose.
    On the first point regarding the seats and how to change the number of seats on a log book.

    I had a dig into this and couldn't find an answer for this situation. Any change form was geared towards buses or adding extra seats over 7 seats not removing them.

    The only form I could find was RF111. Here is an exerpt from the bottom of the form.

    A When to use this form
    This form should be used when any of the following listed items have changed since the vehicle was last taxed. The form should be brought or posted to your local Motor Tax Office as soon as possible after the change has occurred.
    - Your names (e.g. on marriage)
    - Your address
    - Vehicle engine
    - Unladen weight (goods vehicles only)
    - Vehicle colour
    - Seating capacity (large public service vehicles and youth or community buses only)
    - Vehicle body type - Vehicle tax class


    And from revenue:

    Vehicles registered in Ireland

    In most cases there is no need to make a declaration to Revenue. You do not have to make a declaration if the vehicle category at J1 on the Vehicle Registration Certificate is A.

    However, you must make a declaration if the category is B, C or D (or is blank) and you:
    • added seats and the new total (including the driver) is nine seats or less
    • removed seats from a vehicle that had 10 seats or more and now has nine seats or less (driver included)
    • or
    • have converted the vehicle to a motor caravan.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-...onversion.aspx

    So if there is no mechanism or need in place to adjust the number of seats on a log book why is it a failure for the nct.

    Then regaring the tyres. I was told the R888 are not fit for purpose. I asked if they were brand new with full thread depth would they pass and I was told no. Due to the compound and structure they're too good for the road!!!


    So be warned if you're ncting a track car.
    https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

  • #2
    Just get an engineers report. The report goes in to the NCT with the car and it solves the need for changing anything on the log book.

    I think I paid around €300 a few years back for the Evo. Guy in Kildare who is on this forum did it for me. Solves all headaches.

    The latest R888 are road legal and are certified.

    Edit. SW20Fan if i recall correctly did mine.
    Last edited by miller; 14-07-2022, 08:57 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Why should you need to go get an engineers report when there is no need for the change to be declared. If the seats are not there its hardly a safey issuae as they can't be installed in correctly.

      I asked about the tyres being E marked, the tester said it didn't matter.

      I don't think he was being an arse either. He said they want to see standard tires.
      https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Boris View Post
        Why should you need to go get an engineers report when there is no need for the change to be declared. If the seats are not there its hardly a safey issuae as they can't be installed in correctly.

        I asked about the tyres being E marked, the tester said it didn't matter.

        I don't think he was being an arse either. He said they want to see standard tires.
        Pretty sure they will ask for an engineers report anyways when requesting the Logbook to be changed. That plus a main dealer stamp? I only suggested it as a way of making life easier for you. Also the engineers report may pull up items you missed or not thought about it.


        Comment


        • #5
          My eg6 with a full weld in cage also failed the nct a few weeks back due to no rear seats.

          The tester was saying that it’s a new thing since January that the car has to have the same number of seats as the log book?

          I was also trying to figure out how to get around this without having to cut the cage out.

          Comment


          • #6
            As LukeyLuke says above, I tested a car not so long ago with missing rear seats/belts. I was told if it's on the logbook as a 4/5 seater, they need to be fitted to pass the test.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by miller View Post

              Pretty sure they will ask for an engineers report anyways when requesting the Logbook to be changed. That plus a main dealer stamp? I only suggested it as a way of making life easier for you. Also the engineers report may pull up items you missed or not thought about it.

              I get what youre saying regarding the ease of life but regarding the change of log book its not possible to change the number of seats for a vehicle category A.

              This is stemming from an amalgamation of NCT and DOE requirements, which wasn't thought out properly.
              https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

              Comment


              • #8
                Is it an option to put seats back for test? Yes complete waste of time but that’s Ireland for you

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've tested two different cars with rear seats removed years ago, belts removed also. One passed but as far as I remember it has an advisory saying rear seats weren't present, the other failed.

                  The comment about the tyres make no sense, do they have a list of what they determine fit for purpose. Sounds like an individual tester had a notion rather than a policy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That comment from the NCT about the semi-slicks is bizarre.
                    1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
                    2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
                    2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tax office will require a declaration of conversion from an automotive engineer to update the logbook to two seats, this is a new requirement brought in by RSA, motor tax and revenue, vehicle has to match its description on the logbook.
                      I would challenge NCT on the tires, if they’re e-marked, in good condition and above 1.6mm tread depth over the central three quarters of the tread pattern then they cannot say that they are not fit for purpose and should pass.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don’t see how they can fail you on tires if they’re E marked and in decent condition? Would definitely get onto them about that. I had Advan AD08s on my car last time I took it to the NCT center and the tester didn’t say a thing about them.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So if I supplied an engineer’s report to confirm a conversion to van and change of category, then I don’t need to supply anything as I transfer it back to private category? I’m not sure I’m making sense here.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Murakami View Post
                            So if I supplied an engineer’s report to confirm a conversion to van and change of category, then I don’t need to supply anything as I transfer it back to private category? I’m not sure I’m making sense here.
                            In theory every conversion needs a Declaration of conversion however strange things happen in motortax offices in the way things are understood by different individuals.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gofaster_s13 View Post
                              Tax office will require a declaration of conversion from an automotive engineer to update the logbook to two seats, this is a new requirement brought in by RSA, motor tax and revenue, vehicle has to match its description on the logbook.
                              I would challenge NCT on the tires, if they’re e-marked, in good condition and above 1.6mm tread depth over the central three quarters of the tread pattern then they cannot say that they are not fit for purpose and should pass.
                              I'm not doubting you, I'm sure they have brought in that requirement. However in typical Irish fashion I doesn't appear to be documented any where. As you can see from my opening post nothing I have found speaks to updating a class A vehicle.

                              I didn't mean this thread to derail on my specific case. It was more to be a heads up for people that the noose anything non standard is tightening and to be prepared.
                              https://www.picfair.com/users/MarkT128/

                              Comment

                              Bottom of thread

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X