The McMurtry Speirling is quite fast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike205 View Post
    Ok next I would love to see a Nurburing lap...
    The VW IDR should whet the appetite... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRHIiJjWhWo

Comment

I recall that Brabham ran a fan car in the 1978 grand prix season. They claimed it was for extra cooling! It was eventually banned (or "withdrawn" according to Brabham). It was not banned for technical reasons but for safety reasons because the rival teams claimed that the fan was throwing out debris to the rear and it was hitting the cars behind. I am not aware that the ban was ever lifted so that ban could still be in place.
      ________
      Wheelnut

Comment

someone sent me that clip, i watched it for about 10 seconds, sighed, and scrolled on. am i the only one?
        looking back now, I think that maybe, every now and again, I should have braked a little earlier

Comment

I just finished watching the Goodwood shootout and came here to post about it but it seems ElDel has beaten me to it.

I love that not only is this wild looking and wildly fast but it's also tiny. It's like a Choro-Q (briefly sold here as penny racers if anyone remembers those) racecar, kinda looks like you could put a penny on the back wind it back and watch it wheelie. Tiny car, tiny company, making VWs ID-aaaar and its army of taking it waaaaaaay to seriously engineers look utterly stupid. Brilliant! ..stuff likes this gives me hope for interesting and not merely fast stuff in the EV era.

It's worth watching the full shootout by the way Full 2022 Timed Shootout | Goodwood Festival of Speed - YouTube

There are some gob-smacking drives. Adam Smalley the 21 year old Ginetta Junior/GT champ absolutely flet, almost wheelying a 911 up the hill for an EV baiting time. Travis Pastrana in an 80s Subaru Wagon with Heath Robinson-esque active aero sideways yet still setting a higher end time. The Gen 3 Formula E looked quick and quite lairy, but unfortunately very unreliable - still got a lot of kinks to iron out. Should make for good racing when they sort them out.

It does make me think that maybe the world needs a hillclimb event with the same profile as Goodwood in terms of coverage and attracting all those top tier new and historic cars, but on a proper hillclimb route that's not simply someones driveway. You get a good idea of how fast modern cars are, but the track is the limiting factor - modern F1 cars aren't allowed timed runs for example.
          https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

Originally posted by Mark2 View Post
            someone sent me that clip, i watched it for about 10 seconds, sighed, and scrolled on. am i the only one?
            Judging by the other comments, and you only watched it get up the initial straight probably..

Each to their own, but don't be one of those lads that'd take a stick of dynamite between each ear to broaden their mind a little either.

Comment

Originally posted by TuneR View Post
              Ya nuts little thing, why did it break down earlier does anyone know?
              It's hoover bag was full?
              We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

^ Har har

Well it certainly cleaned up on the day.. by about 6 seconds too ..

Comment

Originally posted by crank_case View Post

It does make me think that maybe the world needs a hillclimb event with the same profile as Goodwood in terms of coverage and attracting all those top tier new and historic cars, but on a proper hillclimb route that's not simply someones driveway.
                  I guess in the modern mejia age the closest is Pikes Peak each year. Lots of hill climb events in Europe, but they don't get the same international attention, as you've highlighted.

Comment

It looked comically fast, the Kei supercar has landed and it’s Oirish and EV
                    who was the pilot?
                    I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🀨πŸ€ͺ

Comment

Max Chilton

Comment

It looked and sounded like an RC car going up the hill it almost looked fake!
                        Chilton had his hands full with it all the same its so narrow and twitchy!

Comment

That looks, sounds and moves like something from Star Wars.

Comment

Yeah I think sooner or later Lord March will have to invest in some proper barriers and protection.
                            along the track side.

Even though the Spierling is absolutely tiny,at the speeds it was cornering and going up the hill,it would have left some impact and mess if it had gone off piste!!

Hay bales aren't going to be much use if a Tai fighter like that goes into them.
                            Last edited by Titan; 27-06-2022, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crank_case View Post

Judging by the other comments, and you only watched it get up the initial straight probably..

Each to their own, but don't be one of those lads that'd take a stick of dynamite between each ear to broaden their mind a little either.
                              That was enough for me. Like you say, each to their own. I only have time to broaden my mind on things I love - real cars with tailpipes πŸ™‚

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

looking back now, I think that maybe, every now and again, I should have braked a little earlier

Comment

Originally posted by Mark2 View Post

That was enough for me. Like you say, each to their own. I only have time to broaden my mind on things I love - real cars with tailpipes πŸ™‚

Of course, I can't make anyone like something, but I find it hard to relate to the idea that this is boring or not a "real car" (which sounds oddly a bit like Dadrock bores going on about a "real music" which was apparently only made by 4 lads with guitars circa 1965 - 1976). It's tiny, it's really fast, it looks like a Batmobile, the lad who owns the company comes from Clontarf and I doubt anyone who might have the privlege of being strapped into one would come away thinking they'd just been in a Miele on a really fast spin, though apparently even that can be exciting with an uneven load, or so I've heard ..

I know you're a busy man, but it's 39 seconds like.. I'd reccomend checking out the rest of the shootout, there's some incredible ICE runs in there too that might float yer boat, Adam Smalley is a future motorsport star if his run is anything to go by.
                                Last edited by crank_case; 27-06-2022, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X