Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The McMurtry Speirling is quite fast!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The McMurtry Speirling is quite fast!

    After attending a few Grands Prix in my time, I know TV cameras do not convey the speed the cars are travelling at. So, with that in mind, I can only imagine how breathtaking it must have been there to witness this run at Goodwood over the weekend. I'm sure the marshall who lines up the cars at the start has witnessed many spectacular take offs so his reaction is telling


  • #2
    Looks incredibly fast. I never seen anything like it.
    Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, absolutely spectacular. The only way I can tell if something is moving really quickly is the little twitching, darting movements that really fast stuff seems to make when it's properly on the limit - and that thing did nothing else. The launch too - with the noise and the take-off, it was like watching a little car being catapult launched off an aircraft carrier

      As an aside, a fair bit of discussion on other petrolhead sites about the things like that being so quick that the Goodwood hill doesn't really cut it in terms of safety any more. Consensus seems to be that it's great to still be able to get close to cars going for it like you could at F1 circuits in days gone by - but they're only ever one big off away from a radical rethink, safety review, blaming everybody for not dealing with it before the fact.

      Comment


      • #4
        Ya nuts little thing, why did it break down earlier does anyone know?

        Comment


        • #5
          It was like watching a video in fast forward.

          Comment


          • #6
            Founder is Irish and all!

            Comment


            • #7
              Looks like the batmobile, rocket of a yolk!
              Comic Sans, the choice of the professional.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by -alan- View Post
                Yeah, absolutely spectacular. The only way I can tell if something is moving really quickly is the little twitching, darting movements that really fast stuff seems to make when it's properly on the limit - and that thing did nothing else. The launch too - with the noise and the take-off, it was like watching a little car being catapult launched off an aircraft carrier

                As an aside, a fair bit of discussion on other petrolhead sites about the things like that being so quick that the Goodwood hill doesn't really cut it in terms of safety any more. Consensus seems to be that it's great to still be able to get close to cars going for it like you could at F1 circuits in days gone by - but they're only ever one big off away from a radical rethink, safety review, blaming everybody for not dealing with it before the fact.
                I had the Goodwood live stream on in the background for a couple of hours over the weekend including the shoot-out. One thing you most definitely can't tell on that feed is the enormous difference in sound between something interesting and a milk float. Half the fun is really the noisier older stuff. When they run the older F1 cars it's like dinosaurs have returned to earth, you will hear the scream from those engines absolutely everywhere, it's like a call from the wild. To get to my point, they don't need to run fast and often they do donuts and stuff like that.

                But the EVs are only really interesting if they go fast and are pushed to the limit so we can see them squirming. So I think this is inherently adding a lot of danger to the event and I suspect they will need to beef up safety if it's turning into which EV can go the fastest up that hill seeing the guys who bring EVs will need to show how they are really fast (and look how slow ICE is) or nobody will care.

                I really wanted to go to Goodwood but woke up to the fact that it's on about a month ago when it was solidly booked out. It looked good and quite a few nice launches.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It has a fan to suck it down to the track. In some of the other footage you can hear the fan spool up before the start.
                  Deadly Dave

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Deadly Dave View Post
                    It has a fan to suck it down to the track. In some of the other footage you can hear the fan spool up before the start.
                    The Marshall on the start line wasnt expecting it! See his hands in the air in disbelief!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      When you heard it spooling it up before the launch I could feel the adrenaline and anticipation rising even just watching it on TV

                      One thing about the aero though, is that if anything happens to disturb it - you catch the grass, or hit a slight bump - the suction disappears instantly. There's no progressive / linear loss of grip - it just goes, and the car heads off tangentially into the scenery at a huge rate of knots. I was watching the run almost through closed fingers because I thought the damn thing was going to hit a bump and 'enter into departure mode' as they say in aviation circles.

                      I think the fan cars potentially pose a bigger risk to safety than anything else out there.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We must all be getting old and too sensible cos I’ve had similar thoughts to some above , because it ain’t hard to envision some sharp CF edge digging into the bone dry lawn and launching something airborne and after that , all bets are off, no tethers here….

                        But like the ring and even the other event, I’m glad they still exist and I’d love to see all up close .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ok next I would love to see a Nurburing lap...
                          Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This thing is tiny !

                            Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mike205 View Post
                              Ok next I would love to see a Nurburing lap...
                              Probably only has enough charge to make it 1/3 the way round...

                              Comment

                              Bottom of thread

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X