Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like he fits squarely into the TT target demographic

Comment

Irish plates suck big time, but I have seen a few smart/interesting ones over the years:

YY-RN-25 / YY-RN-5 on Renault's
      90-LS-400 on a Lexus LS400
      205 GTI and GTI 205 were (re)-issued to Peugeot 205 GTIs
      1 GLI on a Golf GTI Cabrio (which is badged as a Golf GLI)
      1111 TI ( IIIITI ) on a 70's Alfa Romeo Guilietta
      IX 1 - the first plate ever issued in Longford, seen on an Audi 100 in the 1980's (re-issues by the local authorities were possible before 1987) - spaced as " IXI ",it's the best-looking Irish reg I've ever seen.

The amount of lovely 1904-1886 Irish reg's that could be re-issued for a profit is massive - even if they didn't want to issue previously-used ones, less than half of all possible reg's were ever issued (only Dublin ran out fully, and smaller counties like Leitrim only issued about 15% of all possible combos) - Revenue are really missing a trick here.

Good UK ones:
      N1 XER - seen on a Merc around Dublin.
      HAD 16V - seen on a Mk2 Golf 16v that had been converted to a 20v turbo
      H11 MOK (spaced as HI IM OK) -just a friendly greeting

In the mid-80's, I saw around Dublin city centre, a few times in 6 months, a LHD Merc 190 with plates from Tuvalu - I'm pretty sure that I'll never see another car from that country in Ireland...

I like the Australian idea of having anything you want, once it's not rude or already issued (Austria has this too, amongst others), but having to find interesting stuff in amongst a pre-determined system, like in Ireland and the UK, is a bit more interesting, and also lets us see all those people who think 77 looks like TT*, and all the boring, middle-aged people in the UK called Roy or Ted (ROY 392M, TED 475P, etc)

*96-D-23007 is on a BMW Z3, as driven by James Bond in GoldenEye
      Last edited by Type17; 27-05-2022, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Not personalised, but I had a somewhat embarrassing number on a VW beetle I owned, ahem MID 69!

Comment

Originally posted by Type17 View Post
          *96-D-23007 is on a BMW Z3, as driven by James Bond in GoldenEye
          You would definitely have to be a wee bit special to consider thinking that was cool. Id happily pay the extra to change it to an instantly forgettable plate

On that front, as an aside - 'plain clothes' cop cars in the North - and also those owned personally by members of the good old RUC all tended to have non-descript and full four numerical digit reg numbers to make them less noticeable - e.g ROI 9625/FIL 7624 - and never things like ROI 7777, FIL 1960 etc. Not a bad policy - and one worth adopting if you want to keep as far under the radar as possible for motoring indiscretions in the present day (imho of course).

Comment

Originally posted by -alan- View Post

You would definitely have to be a wee bit special to consider thinking that was cool. Id happily pay the extra to change it to an instantly forgettable plate
            As if that wasn't bad enough, when it was new, the owner had the final 7 styled as a pistol, like the Eon Productions 007 logo. I reckon that the car might actually be worth less than an identical one with a 'boring' reg.

On that front, as an aside - 'plain clothes' cop cars in the North - and also those owned personally by members of the good old RUC all tended to have non-descript and full four numerical digit reg numbers to make them less noticeable - e.g ROI 9625/FIL 7624 - and never things like ROI 7777, FIL 1960 etc. Not a bad policy - and one worth adopting if you want to keep as far under the radar as possible for motoring indiscretions in the present day (imho of course).
            True, I always liked personally importing UK cars - always a better spec, but also the reg had a high number like 93-D- 74358 (not a reg I owned), so you did feel a tiny more invisible.
            On the other hand, my current (original-Irish) car is very noticeable, as it was a BMW Ireland fleet car, reg'ed in January with something like 201-D-603 (not the exact digits, but it has the zero in the middle on both sides, which does make it stand out even more than just three digits).

Comment

Spotted in Junction 14 Mayfield a few years ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HawkAl View Post

Spotted in Junction 14 Mayfield a few years ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My wife saw this a few weeks ago

Comment

I remember seeing 07C30 on a Volvo C30 and there’s a couple of S2000s with 2000 reg.

I was told that the original owner of the Z4 had plates made up with a Z instead of the 2.

Comment

^ Nice car, but now c'mon..Brake man, lowering the tone even further with those w@nky fake German pressed plates on Irish cars is really starting to plumb the depths..

Comment

^ Nice car, but now c'mon..Brake man, lowering the tone even further with those w@nky fake German pressed plates on Irish cars is really starting to plumb the depths..
                      Haha some people really hate the German pressed plates! 😁
                      I didn’t mind them too much but I did change them to standard metal pressed.

Comment

The brother in NZ used to do drywall plastering, 'gib stopping' or just 'stopping'

His plate was STOP 4 U
                        Which I suppose can be taken a number of ways

He has something else lately that refers to the Emerald Isle but I can't remember it atm

He was always thinking up new plate ideas - I think its a sport down under

Comment

Good thread btw

Comment

Originally posted by Cappo View Post
                            Not personalised, but I had a somewhat embarrassing number on a VW beetle I owned, ahem MID 69!
                            There’s a Triumph TR6 around with the Kerry reg SIN 9, which means that there was (is?) a car with SIN 69. I wonder was it skipped over or issued?

Interesting UK reg’s that were issued before anyone noticed:

PEN 15
                            PEN 1 S
                            RU 18 (which implies the existence of RU 14, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by ShootingBrake View Post

Haha some people really hate the German pressed plates! 😁
                              I didn’t mind them too much but I did change them to standard metal pressed.

I fkn hate them with a passion

(But sure you'd always have to cut somebody a bit of slack on a well sorted Z4 it has to be said )

Comment

Originally posted by Type17 View Post
                                Irish plates suck big time, but I have seen a few smart/interesting ones over the years:

1111 TI ( IIIITI ) on a 70's Alfa Romeo Guilietta as
                                I realise that this is pedantry of the highest order.

I sat in that car, a red Alfetta, which belonged to my dad's friend and listened to Red Rum's third Grand National win.

How's that for a crazy memory from 1977?

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X