Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personalised license plates

Hi All,

Something that continually gets my attention in Australia is the personalised license plate. There 's a lot of people who like to do something with their plates, whether it be colours, styles (e.g. the German plate), or indeed personalising the alphanumeric sequence on the plate. I don't "get it",but sometimes they do put a smile on my face. Anyway, this might not be of huge interest here, but for years I have wanted to share some of these with you. The 3 examples below were from an hour walk around town this morning.
    FUN247
    20220526_150024.jpg
    BOW23R (Bowzer? Bowser? )
    20220526_150208.jpg
    XSSOOT (excess soot?)
    20220527_101755.jpg

and the other day I saw a Mercedes A45s with the plate "45SPOP" which i read as "ASS POP" aka fart.

Edit: anyway, this is where I will be dumping future plate spotting pictures
    Last edited by ozy; 27-05-2022, 05:54 AM.
    Sent from my diamond encrusted yacht off the coast of Skull island

I saw some dodgy personalised plates when I was in Oz, but this one took the biscuit.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AMGE34 View Post
      I saw some dodgy personalised plates when I was in Oz, but this one took the biscuit.

Lol, you win! That's amazing!
      West Aussie plates.

Comment

Yeah WA plates, it was in a multi story in Perth. I spotted one with EIRE32 plates as well, didn't manage to get a photo of that one though.

Comment

I'm very much the opposite, I very much "get it" & I love them... for me there are simply another way to personalise a car, no different that changing the wheels or adding body kits or changing out the stereo/speakers (something I don't get). I'd prefer the US system where I didn't need run a front plate at all but if I have to run plates I at least want to have a little fun with them.

I have a set of personalised plates for every car I own, but the system here in Vic is different to yours in NSW... here I buy the plate once & then I own it outright regardless of if I put it on a car or not & then I can on-sell it anytime I want for a profit if it's something others want. In NSW you guys need to pay an additional fee every year if you want to keep that personalised plate.. stop paying the fee & you can lose the plate.

I even got a set for Mrs_XB when I bought her her first Aus car here, she's one of those odd people who like to name cars... now that's something I'll never get, but I'm willing to over look this major shortcoming of hers on account of all her other awesome redeeming features & the very fact that she puts up with me & all my shite.

You may have seen these from my many build threads but if not.. I have the original set I bought for XB back when I got her that say IM STIG... TG wasn't big in Aus back then so only real car people got them.

P6.jpg

Given how that concept has aged, when the car is back on the road I'll probably go with they new set of Ford logo'd plates that tell you it's an XB & that it has a 427ci V8

P2.jpg

For the Range Rover I brought over I needed to get the "new" Euro long style as the Dublin plates had been that shaped anyway... they where a special design they ran where the first letter had to be a V for Victoria then I went with something that matched the car... I was sick of people thinking it was a diesel so put the V8 on the end

P1.jpg

If I ever get the Challenger finished these are the plates I have waiting

P7.jpg

It's getting harder & harder to come up with good plate ideas that already taken.. when I bought my brother BumbleBee Camaro this was the best I could get

P3.jpg
          Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Comment

Given how people just buy up new plates in the hope they'll be able to flip them later for a profit I was very happy when I was able to get this plate for the Mustang

P4.jpg

The GTO is the one I get the most comments from... I honestly thought more car folks knew that the GTO's where always called The GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) by the US motoring press when they where launched... but the number of people at a car show who ask & I have to explain it is a lot bigger that I expected.

P5.jpg

To some these may be cool... to others a waste of money/effort & to some I'm probably just a dickhead for having them... but I'd rather something that means something to me than just a set of random letters & numbers

Comment

Does Ireland still have restrictions on this sort of thing? I remember a few people trying to get something personalised. One friend had a Nissan S15 and was able to get a plate something like "00-TS-15", and of course the multiple Porsche 911 guys with "911" at the end of their plate numbers, but is that the extent of it?

Comment

The Irish system is so dumb IMHO... it only seems to be there to benefit new car sales as far as I can see as some people get real self conscious when they see the plates is advertising the fact that they are so poor they are driving around in a 4yr old car & so rush out to get the 222 D or what ever it is now & the fact they went to this new plate every 6 months thing is doubly crazy.

Also just think of the extra revenue the country could make if they introduced them... I'm sure there are a few people in Ireland who'd have one

Comment

New plates is the Irish Car salesman page 1 of easy sales. That and PCP which is propping the market up.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Comment

If I recall correctly the way it is in Ireland now - you can reserve a number for the upcoming year only and you must reserve that number by November for the upcoming year. Previously I was able to reserve a plate for a Boxster I brought in - 986 version, so I was able to get 99-D-86 and I think it cost 250euro. I love the short number plates personally, less clutter and I like the symmetry they offer, instead of the stupid long import numbers we have to use now. I'd happily have payed to get a reserved number when bringing in the Evo !

Comment

Here's a bunch of personalised Irish licence plates I've spotted on DD
                      (https://imgur.com/a/ySuAWs0)

Most of them are not very original, but I did like this one.

7kLIwLp.jpg

and this one too.

aNnmfqt.png
                      Last edited by Wrasslers; 27-05-2022, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I remember years ago seeing 90 C110 on a clio, sometimes you see 77 on Audi TT or some just match the engine size.

Comment

Tbh I don't understand putting a plate on a car that tells you what car it is. I could be wrong but look at the car maybe? Surely it needs to be about the person or the business?

I like Lincoln Lawyer's plates. That's how you do plates and very much how it's done in the US also.

I also don't understand this sh1te in the UK where people pay stupid money for a random set of letters and numbers. But I bow to whoever figured how to monetise that.

Comment

Originally posted by fez View Post
                            I remember years ago seeing 90 C110 on a clio, sometimes you see 77 on Audi TT or some just match the engine size.
                            Since when did '77' ever get deemed even close to 'TT' ?

I like funny plates. or odd ones..but things like that BOW53R - or stuff like TR37OR for all the severely dyslexic narcissistic Trevs out there. cmon ffs..
                            If you cant afford a decent plate, don't bother with those pathetic half-@rsed attempts

Just sayin like..

0iWb0aZm.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by -alan- View Post

Since when did '77' ever get deemed even close to 'TT' ?

I like funny plates. or odd ones..but things like that BOW53R - or stuff like TR37OR for all the severely dyslexic narcissistic Trevs out there. cmon ffs..
                              If you cant afford a decent plate, don't bother with those pathetic half-@rsed attempts

Just sayin like..

0iWb0aZm.jpg
                              funny, when I was in high school, the Audi TT came out and my mates dad owned the local VW dealership (cough Cumiskey in county Monaghan) and I remember him rocking up to high school with a brand new TT with rego of YY-MN-77 with black stickers turning both of the 7's into the letter "T"!

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X