Warning explicit car service content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning explicit car service content

So just back from a lovely wedding at the weekend in Cavan. As we are about to leave, mother in-laws friend asks me to check her car as it is down on power. Here we go says me....
    "When

She mentioned she struggled driving it back from Mayo to Dublin and the Friday and then up to Cavan on the Saturday.

So I took it for a quick spin, 2010 1.6 TDci Focus 81,000 miles and there is zero power. It can barely get up a hill. A few minutes into the drive and cue dentists drill noise from under the bonnet. Park car and inform her that her turbo is blown. "When was the car last serviced?" "I get my mechanic to service before every NCT". Very strange I thought, with ~80k miles on it for the turbo to blow already.

Anyway she agrees for a mechanic friend of mine that is based up in Cavan to recover it and fix for her. New turbo fitted. A precautionary oil and filter change was started and revealed the mess below (brace yourselves):

Oil filler port:
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-25 at 3.11.24 PM.jpeg

Valve Cover:
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-25 at 3.46.27 PM.jpeg

Cylinder head:
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-25 at 3.46.28 PM.jpeg

Last edited by davkav; 25-05-2022, 06:59 PM.

Fuuacckk! :-0 So was her mechanic just not servicing it?
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

Daaaaaaaaammnnnn....

That oil has not been changed ever.

Would any oil flush help here, or is it done and dead?
      "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
      "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Comment

Sometimes I found with mechanics lately is that, people will say, aw there's a noise and check it out for nct. That problem is solved and customer happy. They don't explicitly say service it and do whatever else it needs. Found that with 2 mechanics lately and trying to find a good one.

That could have happened here, just giving mechanic benefit of doubt but that's pretty shocking.

Comment

Looks to me like it has a lot more than 81,000 miles on it!

Comment

🤦‍♀️ What a mess

Comment

The "mechanic" is a scumbag, if he was charging for a service.

The timing belt is probably fcuked too.

I'd nearly be afraid to do an oil flush, in case it puts goo into the oil pump.
              Really it needs the sump taken off.

Pity you can't name and shame...

Is the mechanic doing it as a nixer?
              www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, Caddy vanyadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

Comment

My mechanic friend cleaned up as best he could, sump off and cleaned out, although he did say it wasn't as bad down there.
                Fresh oil and filter, ran up to temp, engine flushed, and fresh oil and filter again. He checked turbo was getting oil and then took it for a spin. When he came back he pulled the filter again and it was near clean, so happy enough. His only concern now is that some dislodged sludge causes further issues OR the new found boost in the engine puts too much strain on the timing belt. He is going to communicate all of the above to her and see what she wants to do. Timing belt is most likely due, it being over 12 years old now.

Service book suggests it has not been serviced since 50,000 miles in 2017...

I gave herself a ring to update her and ask again about servicing whilst stating that I don't think it has ever been serviced. She replies "well maybe I never did ask him to service it but more check it over for NCT....". I think both are to blame if that is the case. She should be keeping on top of maintenance (I wonder how many cars are out on the road in the same scenario), and the mechanic should be making sure that there loyal customer is being looked after by asking/checking does it need a service...

I must follow up with her and see how much she was paying for these 'checkups'.

Comment

Originally posted by 166man View Post
                  Looks to me like it has a lot more than 81,000 miles on it!
                  This! I wonder has it been clocked. Mechanic friend suggested the same when he saw the wear on the steering wheel etc.

Comment

Originally posted by davkav View Post

This! I wonder has it been clocked. Mechanic friend suggested the same when he saw the wear on the steering wheel etc.
                    As you’re quoting it in miles I’d imagine it’s a UK import and a 7 year old Focus diesel out of the UK with 50,000 miles would send alarm bells ringing.

Regardless - it’s basically irrelevant now as she’s had it so long so now that it’s serviced hopefully it will be good for another while now!

Comment

I am sure that even if just " a check for the NCT", a decent mechanic would surely check around, check for oil etc. and then see that mess at some point?
                      We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Comment

Surprised the car was able to get any further than the gate looking at the sludge
                        inside that engine.

That stuff must have been like treacle.

Comment

Would 5 year old oil and 30k miles go THAT bad?
                          Looks like more to me. I wonder did it get a service stamp before leaving her majesty's highways.
                          But any mechanic with a brain would be asking if she wanted it serviced too, you know, to make some money.

Comment

Wow, thats incredible but shows what most Irish people do (or dont do) with regards servicing. On a positive note the injector seals look like they're holding up.

Comment

It is crazy here how people abuse their cars with lack of maintenance. My niece only gets her car serviced ever few years as it is a "waste of money when it is driving normally".....
                              I worked with a fellow who had an Avensis, one day walking to lunch I learnt that he never ever had the car serviced, and he was quite surprised that I serviced mine at least every year.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X