American tourist on €10k quote to rent car in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miller View Post
    Car rental in Germany is back to normal pre pandemic levels....quite acceptable especially with Sixt.
    Given how few complaints there were about the endless lockdowns I always assumed that we were just handing out cash to everyone and everything.

Comment

I normally get back to Ireland every 2 years. Last time a car for 2 weeks cost me 350 euro. Tried booking a car this time and quotes have been from 1200 - 3500 for 3 weeks. Same excuse, lack of cars blah blah. The cheapest quote wanted 5000 euro as a deposit on my credit card.

Tried booking through a crowd that came very well recommended in Cork. 500 euro for 3 weeks on their website. Lovely I says. Couldn't complete the booking however - had to ring them. Yer man on the phone says "yea, same rates as last year." "Due to high demand it will be 500 per week so 1500 euro for the 3 weeks." "Everyone else is charging 800 per week so you're getting a deal." Hung up on the pr1ck. Typical Ireland, looks like they've also jumped on the bandwagon. How on earth do they expect tourists to come back with that kind of usual Irish gouging?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow View Post
        I normally get back to Ireland every 2 years. Last time a car for 2 weeks cost me 350 euro. Tried booking a car this time and quotes have been from 1200 - 3500 for 3 weeks. Same excuse, lack of cars blah blah. The cheapest quote wanted 5000 euro as a deposit on my credit card.
        I never understood this "lack of" excuse. So just because Car Rental company has 2 cars left they can charge 3000€ for it? I'm glad other businesses don't do this. Just imagine buying last croissant in bakery for 50€.

Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Comment

I booked a car in Spain recently for like €500 a week so not unique to Ireland. Of course they can and will charge more when demand is high. I rather they didn’t but such is life. I’m fairly sure people will return to Spain despite this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike205 View Post

I never understood this "lack of" excuse. So just because Car Rental company has 2 cars left they can charge 3000€ for it? I'm glad other businesses don't do this. Just imagine buying last croissant in bakery for 50€.

Eh... waiting til global wheat stores start diminishing thanks to the Ukraine situation..
            https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike205 View Post

Souvlaki has trebled in price since last summer in Greece. The locals now buy less to snack on due to the huge price jump. It's mostly tourists buying it now during tourist season.
              Similarly it's now getting trickier to get chicken in Singapore and areas of Malaysia, as chicken farmers have trouble getting feed and so can't turn out birds of the same size or in the same numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by deltona View Post

Souvlaki has trebled in price since last summer in Greece.
                I never knew the Greeks were so into shoegaze.

Comment

Just had a thought in this topic. Are the govt / Gardai still renting Covid fleets from Europcar or have they been release back into the rental fleet?

Comment

Travel and holiday costs are through the roof everywhere though. I had to fly into Dublin last minute this weekend and hotel prices were brutal. On the other hand, a holiday rental I have is also being snapped up at higher and higher rates. Should I not put the price up when the demand is clearly priced higher than the price I'm setting? Like many businesses I took a bath throughout the pandemic - cancellations without any penalty. I don't see how businesses can be expected to wear the downside yet not the upside. It's a blip - pent up demand. You don't have to go on holidays. I understand it's frustrating, but it's definitely not an Irish thing, no matter how the Indo does its usual job of claiming it is

Comment

I rented a 320d touring in Milan in Feb. €880 for 4 days. Yes cheaper than some of quotes mentioned here, but also a lot more than I've paid previously.

Comment

Originally posted by 10.2 View Post
                        You don't have to go on holidays.
                        Very true, there's a collective mania lingering from the pandemic. I don't think a lot of people could give a monkeys either way about going to a restaurant until lockdown rules said they couldn't then suddenly their "mental health" was in jeopardy til they could.

Going on holiday is nice, but I'm not sure why anyone would put themselves through a lot of the aggro at the moment, holidays are supposed to be relaxing.

Just my perspective on it of course.

Comment

I rented a 992 C4S for four days in the Austrian Alps for I think €3000. Seems like a bargain. Also rented a BMW M50 M cabrio as the bag carrier/motorway transport for half the cost of that 320D. July/August 2019.

sigpichttps://mingshitters.wordpress.com/

Comment

Self catering around here which was already well back on the last 2 mad summers is taking a further hit with summer cancellations, so as ever there’s a ripple effect, but if it’s as bad elsewhere, it might equalise, crazy, mad unpredictable times in biz but could be a lot worse in the round.

Comment

Originally posted by crank_case View Post

Very true, there's a collective mania lingering from the pandemic. I don't think a lot of people could give a monkeys either way about going to a restaurant until lockdown rules said they couldn't then suddenly their "mental health" was in jeopardy til they could.

Going on holiday is nice, but I'm not sure why anyone would put themselves through a lot of the aggro at the moment, holidays are supposed to be relaxing.

Just my perspective on it of course.
                              Sat on a Sunbed here in 28deg near equator on my third beer. I couldn't relax like this at home. Would keep seeing jobs to do.

Airport was empty flying out Saturday just gone
                              Media hype and fools feed into it.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Comment

Unbelievable these prices for rentals, was not aware this was going on at all.

Last holiday I went to was a few weeks ago to Latvia and I rented a VW Tiguan for 4 days for €120 from a small rental company I've used the last few times. Now their business model is different as their cars are 5-10 years old but at least you get to choose what exactly you want from a list and all the cars have really high spec.
                                Looking at renting again from them in August for two weeks and prices are between €250 and €500 for the two weeks, depending on the car.

Can't see why there aren't more companies like this as clearly the business model works.

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X