0wned by a Superb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"He knows the road, leave him at it ..."

The phrase I like to use when we've stopped up somewhere on a drive for chats only to be passed by vans and jeeps with trailers going faster than we just had been....
    Anon. - "owned since 2004. never had a disc on her."

Comment

Originally posted by Cold View Post
      Probably. White if I recall. Maybe silver. Tbh I’m still clinging on to the hope that there is a 4wd Superb R model with 300-400bhp that I must have missed and this was one of them but I think diesel.
      Well, if diesel it must have been a reasonably powerful one if its straight line acceleration was swift. Anyone can mash the accelerator pedal on a straight. Corners is where the skill (or lunacy) comes in.

Comment

Male or female driver ?

Comment

Originally posted by hi-rev View Post
          Locals drive like they could put a rally driver to shame.
          https://youtu.be/bCTgrWWKvK8?t=58

Sadly also why the road accidents are more often than not,caused by local drivers.
          Haha brilliant.

Also the 306 Maxi was a cracking looking thing, all wide arches and screaming NA engine.

Comment

I was heading up toward Enniskillen last year in the 911 relatively early (6.30am or so) and had just turned off the road between Carrick-on-Shannon and Leitrim village towards Ballinamore. I'm pretty sure I was past Kilclare and was coming up on Lough Scur when I came up quite quickly on a car ahead. I knew there weren't many places to pass him so I opened the taps a bit to catch up and the yoke - whatever it was - just dropped me like I was stopped. Naturally I pressed on a bit - you will understand I can't quite disclose specifics as I would be seriously incriminating meself - and I saw the car once more the far side of the lake then... poof... gone.

I have no idea what it was but it was a large-ish saloon which has me guessing Kia Stinger or some sort of fascht Audi RS product. But whatever it was, it left this here 911 driver who had been behind the wheel for just over 90mins and was eh stretching its legs quite a bit for dead entirely.

There's a part of me that suspects the people in that car were up to no good because if I was up to no good in the middle of Leitrim of a Saturday morning and something hockeyed up behind me I'd be off fairly sharpish too.

I also recall one time being on the road in eastern Germany in a relatively punchy rental 2.0D Mazda 6 when a local in a green late 90s 1.4 Astra F hatchback pulled out in front of me and just took off like a scalded rat. There was absolutely no catching him.
            1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
            2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
            2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Comment

I vividly remember being thoroughly "owned" in a similar circumstance ~ 15 years ago.
              It stands out in my mind and routinely pops into my head when driving on within what I feel are the limits of my abilities.

The road from Mitchelstown to Limerick is one that I, at the time, felt that I had local knowledge of. I drove it every morning at 5-6am.
              At the time I had what would be considered a very well sorted e30 318iS that I was perfectly comfortable hanging out on certain corners.

Following a night shift, I was motoring towards Mitchelstown where the road gets nice and tight/twisty. I was, in my mind, moving along.
              Low and behold a diesel SWB Landcruiser covered in dry cowsh1t was bearing down upon me. As I pressed on with a "Nice try laaaad" attitude, I just couldn't shake him. I felt the white flag of cowardice every time my right foot moved in any other direction by down.

Coming out into a wider stretch of road after a 5 minute joust (a long time for me to be petrified), he blew my doors off and was gone.

As I get into Mitchelstown I see him in a petrol station COMING OUT with what I assume was a breakfast roll.
              He made a small boy of me.
              Current Bad Ideas:
              Daily - 1998 Pajero Evolution
              Project - 1990 BMW e30 1JZ
              Previous "Better" Ideas: 2 x Stage III Audi B5 S4, e30 m3, e34 m5, Inca Orange 2002Tii, '89 325iS, '89 318i, '90 318iS, '91 318iS, 2 X '87 316, '89 320i, '81 e21 316

Comment

They're driving completely differently here in Wicklow, every single morning I get stuck behind some WW-reg car pootling about at 60/65 km/h on an 80 km/h road with a long queue forming behind them. I've never experienced so many excessively slow drivers as here in Wicklow, very frustrating it has to be said.

Comment

Bus Eireann expressway bus overtook my wife somewhere around Donegal town when we were heading to the Donegal rally back in 2006. we were doing X+15 imperial units, kinda all we were comfortable with on a rally weekend in unfamiliar territory. Bus man was doing a genuine 85mph and keeping the foot in through all the bends.

Edit: also there is a version of the Superb that is basically a Golf R underneath, smashing car

Comment

Reminds me of a funny (apocryphal?) story told by one of the ex-EVO guys IIRC. Thrashing a modern diesel hatch around bumpy roads in rural France only to be chased down and overtaken by an ancient farmer in a 2CV. As it passed him he saw the farmer was also pulling a small trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Kaktus View Post
                      They're driving completely differently here in Wicklow, every single morning I get stuck behind some WW-reg car pootling about at 60/65 km/h on an 80 km/h road with a long queue forming behind them. I've never experienced so many excessively slow drivers as here in Wicklow, very frustrating it has to be said.
                      The Kilmallock road into Limerick, reminds me of this. Every time I'm on it. I stuck behind some idiot going 65 max

Comment

There are fast cars and fast drivers, a fast driver will make any car fast

Comment

Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
                          I vividly remember being thoroughly "owned" in a similar circumstance ~ 15 years ago.
                          It stands out in my mind and routinely pops into my head when driving on within what I feel are the limits of my abilities.

The road from Mitchelstown to Limerick is one that I, at the time, felt that I had local knowledge of. I drove it every morning at 5-6am.
                          At the time I had what would be considered a very well sorted e30 318iS that I was perfectly comfortable hanging out on certain corners.

Following a night shift, I was motoring towards Mitchelstown where the road gets nice and tight/twisty. I was, in my mind, moving along.
                          Low and behold a diesel SWB Landcruiser covered in dry cowsh1t was bearing down upon me. As I pressed on with a "Nice try laaaad" attitude, I just couldn't shake him. I felt the white flag of cowardice every time my right foot moved in any other direction by down.

Coming out into a wider stretch of road after a 5 minute joust (a long time for me to be petrified), he blew my doors off and was gone.

As I get into Mitchelstown I see him in a petrol station COMING OUT with what I assume was a breakfast roll.
                          He made a small boy of me.
                          The appeal of a Daycent Brekkie roll will give any man super powers!

Comment

1998 leaving Silverstone after a BTCC event, stuck in traffic queue trying to exit the circuit I noticed Dave Brodies Sierra Cosworth on a trailer behind a Transit van exiting through a gate way onto a unpaved laneway. Assuming they had local knowledge I followed them down the lane which led us quickly onto a quiet backroad towards Buckingham. Well, the van and trailer pulled out on to the backroad and I was keen to stay with them as I wasn't sure where I was but to my shame, me and my Celica GT was were no match for the BBR transit and trailer as it vanished into the distance.

Comment

Originally posted by VeeAte View Post
                              I've had this experience in Tuscany - finally out on my own in The Fastest Car In the World (a hired Punto) on winding, twisty, smooth roads... thinking I was pushing it hard... and a local auld fella in a Yugo just breezes past with a fag hanging out of his mouth.

I do think 'local knowledge' makes a big difference vs reading the road
                              Same here around the rural parts of Rome too. I've been put to shame by Pandas and Unos that look like they would have been brought off the road in Ireland 20 years ago when the NCT came in.
                              There's no light, There's only fire!

Comment

Little bit of the opposite to most stories on the thread.., had a 1.3L 1993 Lancer GLI (think about 70bhp) back in 1997. Was being trailed by an Audi 80 Quattro - think it was about 120bhp and +++ torque...traveling from Killarney to Ballincollig (long before the road was 'smoothened' and widened) had a dice and lost him ...sh*t myself just before Baile Mhúirne as I over baked a corner. Audi driver met me in Ballincollig and was convinced the Lancer was turdo'd

Outside of that, have been left by 100Bhp cars in multiple locations around Ireland by many sh*tboxes (me) in 300/400bhp cars - yes pilot v's power...(and maybe local knowledge)

Comment

Bottom of thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X