Header

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us your ashtray

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Show us your ashtray

    It’s a dying detail…let’s embrace it before it’s forgotten
    1. Because why not smoke in the back seats of your 7 seater



    2. Luxuriously flicking



    3. 2 seats? Ashtray for both!




    4. For the Fat cats

    And their drivers



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapata
    Last edited by Thestig; 12-05-2022, 12:09 PM.
    2021 Peugeot e2008 GT
    2007 Alfa Romeo GT Monza T-Spark

  • #2
    As Sean Connery might say, Noshtalgia is just leading you ashtray
    https://www.instagram.com/diecast_1_64/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by crank_case View Post
      As Sean Connery might say, Noshtalgia is just leading you ashtray
      Whilst at home reading in his armchair and the DIY bookcase fell and hit him on the head he was overheard to say 'I only have myshelf to blame'

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by crank_case View Post
        As Sean Connery might say, Noshtalgia is just leading you ashtray
        You can butt out of this discussion Crank

        Comment


        • #5
          I ordered a new BMW 3 series in 1994 and the 'smoking pack' which included the ashtray was an opt-in even on those days

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Peterboxster View Post
            I ordered a new BMW 3 series in 1994 and the 'smoking pack' which included the ashtray was an opt-in even on those days
            I think everything was an optional extra on Beemers in those days!
            We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

            Comment


            • #7
              Nice Thread, I had a similar thought a few days ago when thinking about features that you just don't get on cars anymore and are soon to be (or have been) forgotten - ash trays, sun roofs, tape decks etc.

              Had hours of fun fiddling with all the ash trays in cars as a youngster, and also the "cigar lighters" Ouch!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Johnny 89 View Post
                Had hours of fun fiddling with all the ash trays in cars as a youngster, and also the "cigar lighters" Ouch!
                Ha, first time I discovered a 'cigar-lighter' was in a Lotus Elan, no less. (Simplify and add lighterness, as Mr Chapman said) Learnt quickly not to touch after that.

                These are the childhood dangers the next generation will simply not believe.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not a very nice thread, a disgusting habit and something many a folk had the audacity to do around the home inflicting their carcinogens on innocent unsuspecting kids and whatnot. This ain’t a woke thing, I just know I’d breathe easier if it wasn’t for this shite and maybe the “prick” that did might still be alive to hear the wrath of all the other crap they inflicted on others in their life, a dying detail indeed....
                  I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Johnny 89 View Post
                    Nice Thread, I had a similar thought a few days ago when thinking about features that you just don't get on cars anymore and are soon to be (or have been) forgotten - ash trays, sun roofs, tape decks etc.

                    Had hours of fun fiddling with all the ash trays in cars as a youngster, and also the "cigar lighters" Ouch!
                    The operation of the cigar lighter was one of my first wow cool engineering moments, I remember working out why it never stayed in when hot.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You ok hun?
                      It’s a thread about an obsolete design feature that is interesting to some; not smoking nor the crimes of our elders.



                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      2021 Peugeot e2008 GT
                      2007 Alfa Romeo GT Monza T-Spark

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Not only does every passenger get his own ash tray in an 1985 Mulsanne, he gets his own lighter too:

                        WhatsApp Image 2022-05-04 at 11.22.56 PM.jpeg

                        WhatsApp Image 2022-05-04 at 11.22.54 PM.jpeg

                        There's no light, There's only fire!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Thestig View Post
                          You ok hun?
                          It’s a thread about an obsolete design feature that is interesting to some; not smoking nor the crimes of our elders.



                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          it’s a pocket, hardly a timeless design feature

                          I’m standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused?? 🤨🤪

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A tangent, but I remember reading an article a few years ago talking about cigar lighters and their new(as in, not that new) function as an electrical outlet for sat-navs etc.

                            The focus of the article was basically that they were a relic from the days when the majority smoked and they were woefully I'll-suited to the use that they had been adapted for decades ago.

                            For example, my '14 Focus has a cigar lighter 'hole' but no lighter. No lighter because very few smoke but the hole remains as this was the standardised outlet.

                            Time marches on and I believe most newer stuff just has USB-type outlets but it is amusing how long that took!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Aontroim View Post

                              Time marches on and I believe most newer stuff just has USB-type outlets but it is amusing how long that took!
                              I think cigarette lighters will go the way of windy windows; I have nieces/nephews who consider windy windows in a car to be a real novelty, especially in the front
                              There's no light, There's only fire!

                              Comment

                              Bottom of thread

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X